Triton V10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Over 60000 on mine mostly mountain and desert driving. Starts right up and runs strong. it has the 30 valve V-10 362 HP see my Signature.
Mel_B

I hate to buck the trend but a close buddy can't wait to get rid of his class C with a V10. Screams and sucks gas and won't get out of its own way. He's going diesel.

Diesel and gas are tough to compare.  I have close friend that has a dp with over 1300 foot lbs of torque.  It is better than my v10.  He paid a lot more.  Gas does rev higher and use the fuel you would expect from a 6.8 liter hauling 14,000lbs.  I am surprised to get as good mpg as I do considering a v8 truck weighing 5500 lbs from my rv's era got 15 mpg and my 14,000lb rig gets 8-9.  In terms of longevity for a gas the triton v10 is well respected and not by accident!

I have been delighted with my Ford products.  They aren't perfect but quite good.  An RV is not exactly the essence of aerodynamics ? And weighs a lot.  That does push the triton to its limit when climbing.  Patience and driving style will allow it to last a long long time.  We have not found the noise to be objectionable but it is simply not as good as a diesel pusher.  Not sure how the front mounted diesels are for noise but I imagine they are pretty quiet as well.

Your friend will probably love his diesel.  If I had the money I would buy one.  The v10 is still a great engine though!

Not sure how the front mounted diesels are for noise but I imagine they are pretty quiet as well.

Diesel engines are noisy. A DP is noisy in the back and quiet up front (relatively), while a front-engine diesel is noisy in front and quiet in back, just like a gasser.

We looked at a front diesel Tiffin, maybe a 2008 or 09, a few months ago.  I couldn't believe how noisy it was.  And that was just sitting there.  When our 1999 Ford F53 Aerbus idles, it's hard to hear.  Even on the road at 55 to 65 MPH, it's relatively quiet.  Granted when climbing a grade in 2nd at 4500 RPMs, it's pretty loud.   

2006 e450 chassis, Winnebago. 15000 miles. Throttle body went out. $500 tow bill. (Thank goodness for roadside assistance). $950 to replace throttle body. No problems with engine. Hard to get used to high RPMs. Fly by wire throttle seems questionable. Would have been a real problem, in the middle lane, at highway speed, on interstate, towing a 24 ft trailer.

I don't mean to start a war...but I have a question...this thread was started in 2012. The last entry was in 2012, but was revived in 2016. Why beat a dead horse?  Please be kind....just asking...and yes, I know the question might be pertinent to some, but after four years?

cgmartin said:
I don't mean to start a war...but I have a question...this thread was started in 2012. The last entry was in 2012, but was revived in 2016. Why beat a dead horse?  Please be kind....just asking...and yes, I know the question might be pertinent to some, but after four years?

It only prooves that the FORD Triton V 10 is a great gas engine, even in 2016 !

And besides. I was gonna ask about how everyone liked the v10s. Wasn't sure on the plug issue. I lost a plug on my 2000 van with the 5.4. Thought I killed it. tapped the threads and away it went.

86,000 miles in 4.5 years on my 2011.  Never had a bit of trouble. Wish motorhome manufacturers could make the rest of the RV as well as Ford did this engine!

When I first got mine (new), I drove cross country in 100 degree weather, uphill on very long grades in Wyoming and Nebraska.  I was positive my temperature gage was broken because it hauled my 15,000 pound vehicle without moving even a millimeter from dead center!  Have not done anything to it other than oil changes. 

Also, hauls me up steep mountain grades with no problems. 

I worked as a contract employee at Ford and some of my clients were in corporate quality control.  When they found out I had this engine, they assured me it would run forever!  Said I should easily expect 200,000 to 300,000 miles or more with it.

Have a 31 foot motorhome with this engine. I can't believe how little torque this engine has. Used to tow a trailer with this rig and I always wished it was a diesel. It was fine if it wasn't going up hill. We also have a 19 footer which my wife uses as a mobile pet grooming van. It's on a Ford E-350 chassis with the V-10. Changing plugs in it is a nightmare. It also blows sparkplugs out of the cylinder heads. The newer 3 valve Ford modular engines also has sparkplug issues. They like to break when you remove them.

gary94 said:
Have a 31 foot motorhome with this engine. I can't believe how little torque this engine has. Used to tow a trailer with this rig and I always wished it was a diesel. It was fine if it wasn't going up hill. We also have a 19 footer which my wife uses as a mobile pet grooming van. It's on a Ford E-350 chassis with the V-10. Changing plugs in it is a nightmare. It also blows sparkplugs out of the cylinder heads. The newer 3 valve Ford modular engines also has sparkplug issues. They like to break when you remove them.

How old are your vehicules ?

I often wonder why people have such vastly different experiences with the same product.  Maybe it is expectations or maybe it is maintenance or operation. 

Then again maybe some engines are built Friday at 4:50!!

I seem to be lucky with my mechanical products except anything that has an infrequently used engine - The money I have spent getting carbs cleaned since ethanol has been introduced!!

A big diesel with tons of torque is probably the right answer for customers disappointed with the torque.  Since I don't have the coin but I do have a few extra minutes I will politely move to the right lane and let everyone who can pass me.

Happy motoring!!

KandT said:
I often wonder why people have such vastly different experiences with the same product.  Maybe it is expectations or maybe it is maintenance or operation. 

Then again maybe some engines are built Friday at 4:50!!

I seem to be lucky with my mechanical products except anything that has an infrequently used engine - The money I have spent getting carbs cleaned since ethanol has been introduced!!

A big diesel with tons of torque is probably the right answer for customers disappointed with the torque.  Since I don't have the coin but I do have a few extra minutes I will politely move to the right lane and let everyone who can pass me.

Happy motoring!!
I'll drag you anytime to 60 MPH with any of your diesel engines !
But going uphill for long distances, you'll have the torque to climb it the easiest way with your big torque !

I don't have a diesel except in my tractor which would be a heck of a drag race.  A Kubota vs a motorhome!!  Then again two motorhomes drag racing may be about as exciting as watching grass grow!!

KandT said:
Then again two motorhomes drag racing may be about as exciting as watching grass grow!!

Come on man! There's videos out there with motorhomes turning 22 second quarters at over 60 mph! How much excitement do you want? Haha ;D

The comparison really isn't between the same product.  There is a big difference in the newer Triton engines and the ones built 15+ years ago that had spark plug problems. 

Back
Top Bottom