Winnebago Generator stalls out under AC load

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glorydaze54

Okay I am DEFINITELY a newby at the RV thing and NOT mechanically inclined. I stumbled across this topic "Winnebago Generator stalls out under AC load " Note modified 2030 9-16-2010"  and it is exactly what was happening to me with my Onan 4.0 in my 1985 Minni Winni. As I said I am not Mech. Inclined so I started the generator and had my wife turn on the AC when it started to stall I held the gov. rod (don't know what its called) and didn't let it throttle down, the AC stayed on and soon my wife said HEY! THESE LIGHTS AR GETTING REALLY BRIGHT AND HOT! :-[ Well I burt out almost all the bulbs and so far I think that's all it did BUT it fixed the problem as now the AC runs off the generator without stalling. I'm in NO WAT suggesting anyone do this, just saying what I did and wondering if I may have ruined anything?

Dave in Ok.
Really embarrassed ;)

You did the worst thing anyone can do to a generator, hand controlled the engine speed, if it works now good for you, if it happens again get a mechanic to fix it. For what its worth when a generator goes from no load to a heavy load and dies, it is usually a clogged or mis- adjusted high speed jet in the carburetor.

Thanks Mark, No I won't do that again. It's a wonder I didn't cause more than burnt bulbs, I am taking it in to Leisure Time RV and have them check it out from front to back.  ;)

Using the governor rod to increase engine speed increases the voltage and frequency the generator is putting out.  Most likely the generator was putting out a low voltage and frequency, which was affecting the A/C, and needed adjustment. But jamming it wide open puts anything being powered by the generator at risk.  Since the lights are 12V you were obviously overloading the converter. A check out of anything 12V or 120V is probably a prudent line of action.

Sloop said:
Using the governor rod to increase engine speed increases the voltage and frequency the generator is putting out.  Most likely the generator was putting out a low voltage and frequency, which was affecting the A/C, and needed adjustment. But jamming it wide open puts anything being powered by the generator at risk.  Since the lights are 12V you were obviously overloading the converter. A check out of anything 12V or 120V is probably a prudent line of action.

Thanks Sloop, I'll have them check all of that too. I sure hope I haven't caused a big expense for myself.

Back
Top Bottom