transfer switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chuckm

can someone tell me where i can find transfer switch on a 1994 coronado, when i switch to the generator and leave it run for 10 minutes it still won't switch to 110. I stop generator and plug shore power back in everything is fine. the only thing i can find is the converter/charger. I have been told that this MH has an automatic transfer switch

I have the same problem.  Where is the auto transfer switch located and could I change it out myself...I am not too handy. 

1999 Fleetwood Bounder, 34J, Ford V10, 4K Onan.

Most RV transfer switches won't transfer back to shore power while the generator is running, so it sounds like yours is operating normally.  The reason for this is there's nothing to ensure the generator is in sync with the shore power - if they're out of sync, a quick transfer will send a voltage surge through everything inside the RV.

It's also a bad idea to try and transfer when you're pulling a load through the switch - this is a great way to pull an arc and fry the switch contacts.

Proper procedure is to turn off everything you can inside the RV, then plug into shore power and turn things back on.  Same thing when you start the generator - turn everything off, then start the generator and turn things back on.

thanks Lou, but i did turn off generator before plugging in shore power, also had everything off before doing this. i also checked the circut breaker on the generator and it was ok my problem is i haven't been able to find the transfer switch,,which is an automatic transfer switch,  the only thing i could find was the converter/charger

When my transfer switch went out I tried to find it.. First I visualized the location of the power inlet (Shore power) and the location of the generator and the main 120 volt breaker box and then I ask myself "Where is the most logical place to put it"

Well this turned out to be a cabinet which had the lower half blocked off (no shelves, just a slab of partical board blocking the area off) 

Imagine my surprise when I removed the board and found.... My transfer switch

(I mean who's a thunk they would put it in the LOGICAL spot?).

Seriously, wire of the size needed there is expensive, do your best to figure out where the best place for it is and it should be close.

thanks everyone for the replies, i have a magnatech model 950 and it is located under one of the seats by the table, i just might end up going to our local dealer and have it looked at but that will be a last resort lol

Are you sure you have a transfer switch. Some older coaches don't and have a receptical somewhere near the cord compartment that you have to plug your cord into then start the generator.

Jerry

well wizard46 according to the owners manual it's supposed to have an automatic transfer switch,but as most OM go it only covers basics and don't tell location. i think i've had every panel out of this MH but theres still tomarrow and i have a sawsall  lol.  thanks for everyones help

George Lewis said:
I have the same problem.  Where is the auto transfer switch located and could I change it out myself...I am not too handy. 

1999 Fleetwood Bounder, 34J, Ford V10, 4K Onan.

George, on your Bounder, the transfer switch is attached to the backside of your main circuit breaker panel.  it is can be rather difficult to change since it is so integrated with the panel, but it can be done.

The MagneTek 900 Series Model 950 converter/charger does not include a built-in transfer switch.  Follow your shore power cord to find the transfer switch (if you indeed have one).

Let's back up a bit and think about the problem rather than the location of the ATS. It appears your basic issue is that you get no power from  the generator?  That could be an ATS problem, but it could also be a tripped circuit breaker on the generator itself. Or a generator fault. Have you eliminated those possible causes?

The ATS will be located where the generator output wiring and the shore power cord come together. In an older Fleetwood motorhome, that is typically at the rear of the 120v load center (breaker box), as Just Lou described. But it could also be a separate module. Following the shore cord is the sure way to find it.

What make & model of converter charger did you find? We can tell from that whether there is any possibility that the transfer switch is nearby. The converter/charger itself has nothing to do with the ATS, but sometimes the converter and the load center and the ATS are all integrated into one big box.

[quote author=Gary RV Roamer]
Let's back up a bit and think about the problem rather than the location of the ATS.........

In an older Fleetwood motorhome, that is typically at the rear of the 120v load center (breaker box), as Just Lou described. But it could also be a separate module.
[/quote]
My post was intended to answer the query inserted into this topic, by George Lewis, concerning his specific 1999 Bounder.  My attempt to avoid confusing the original posters topic obviously did not succeed.

I agree with Gary that locating the ATS won't solve the problem if it is, indeed, a problem with the generator or it's breakers.  The fact that the generator runs is NO indicator that it is providing 120vac beyond the generator it's self.

Note to George - These same comments and suggestions would apply to your problem (even though you will find the ATS where I said it was ;) :D )

Good luck to all.

Just Lou said:
George, on your Bounder, the transfer switch is attached to the backside of your main circuit breaker panel.  it is can be rather difficult to change since it is so integrated with the panel, but it can be done.

I had my ATS freeze up on me a few years ago, when I attempted to switch from generator power to shore power WITHOUT first turning off the rooftop A/C and dropping the load.  Once I found the switch exactly where Lou described (attached to the back of the 12v house power center), all it took was a slight shake to get the internal switch to move into its proper position.  Everything worked again. 

The RV tech that did this (and still charged me a $55 service fee for 3 minutes of work :p) said that it used to happen all the time with their rental units.  Customers would call and say "I have no power!" and the tech would tell them where the ATS was located and have them tap the metal housing with a hammer.  Most of the time, that solved the problem.

Kind of reminds me of when I first went to work for the State... I was sitting in the break room waiting for start of shift and a gentelman (Detroit police) was there drinking coffee from a coffee cup, the cup said "Automatic Electric" on it.. Automatic Electric was the manufacturing arm of General Telephone and Electronics, one of the companies that merged into Verizon.. I told him "You must be good" he ask why I said that and I said "Well we can talk to each other and GTE has not built a system that works yet".  He laughed.  And agreed.

In the switch room they had a baseball bat.. What was it for.

Tapping on the metal case of course.

Yup, they had to wack 'em with a baseball bat from time to time.

JUST LOU WRITES: Note to George - These same comments and suggestions would apply to your problem (even though you will find the ATS where I said it was )

Lou, you are correct in the location of my ATS.  I called my service guy, a friend, and he said leave it to us as you could screw things up changing it out yourself.  There are seveal models and we proably will have to order the correct one.  So I will take it to him, he has never failed me....Thanks, Lou and others. 

Great for iPad though.  Regular size I double tap to bring up the text size to go edge to edge.  Thats in portrait portriat orientation.  Old eyes and all.

I have only the vaguest idea about transfer switches but I would add that I just got my notice of safety recall for the IOTA ITS-50R transfer switch for Forest River coaches years 2005-2011 Charleston and Berkshire models. Apparently the switch may cause heat related failure leading to fires or damage to electrical appliances. Just a heads up.

Back
Top Bottom