12V vs 120V Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AERO63

Hello folks...my first post here, although I have read through the forums many times and found plenty of useful information.

About 18 months ago I purchased a used 2007 Rockwood Freedom 1620.  I was expecting some issues based on the price I paid, and indeed there have been a few, most minor, and most I've been able to figure out even though this is my first experience ever with a trailer.

So the newest deal...

Last night I discovered that I am getting no 12V power to my interior stuff...lights, water pump, CO detector basically...not a lot that would have power in this little bare bones pop-up trailer.  I know the battery is charged and is supplying some power, because it is running the power lift system that lift's the trailer's roof.  When plugged into 120V shore power, the lights, water pump, and CO detector run fine...just for some reason the 12V is not supplying them power.  In the past, this has not been an issue...it's new!!

I'm thinking that the converter must be working, correct?  Because (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a rookie) the converter must be converting the 120V to 12V to power the lights and such when plugged into shore power...that and the converter does seem to charge the battery, although I'm not 100% sure about this because I do use a external battery charger for the battery from time to time as well.

So it could be a few things...missing connection somewhere...blown fuse/breaker maybe??  Inside the converter box?? 

I'm a little at a loss for electrical stuff...even something simple like this is definitely not my strong suit.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to provide.

An answer here as well might help others that won't see the other forum.

Have you disconnected the battery recently?? Make sure you have not forgotten a wire somewhere when reconnecting. When there are multiple wires at that point, it is easy to have one escape on you!!

Make friends with a Voltmeter, many little things to discover here. Radio Shack under 20$...
Measure the voltage across the battery terminals when not plugged in to shore power. Should be about 12.2 volts when fully charged. Then, plug the trailer into 120V and measure again. If the converter is connected to the batteries and charging, you should read about 13.2V or so.

All those things you say are operating normally run on 12V, not 120V. So, the battery should be supplying them if not plugged in or, if plugged in, then the converter should be be helping the batteries and charging them.

It would seem from your description, the batteries are not connected correctly and the converter is supplying the 12V for lights etc. only when plugged in. The first voltage tests mentioned should reveal if that is true. I can't tell you, in your case, where the converter is physically located or where the  wires from the converter output actually meet the battery but it is likely around the 12V fuse panel area. It is often part and parcel of the circuit breaker/fuse distribution panel. Plugging in and listening for a hum or a fan running might help locate it.

One other thing to consider if the batteries have been disconnected/removed. Were they reconnected in the right polarity? There are often fuses or 12V c/b on a converters output to protect the converter from  a reversed polarity connection, even if only momentary. Food for thought!!

Good luck!!

Thanks for the thoughts Alfa...I have disconnected the battery recently and I'll double check to be sure it's connected properly.  I'll also look into a Voltmeter, probably a good idea to have one kicking around anyhow.

I know the battery is producing power, since it will run the power lift for the roof on it's own, but somwhere along the line that 12V power from the batter is not reaching the lights, etc...I'll definitely check in and around the converter for the fuse panel, for circuit breakers, etc, etc. 

Since this problem has just shown itself and everything has worked fine up until yesterday I'd HAVE to think it's something simple like a fuse, breaker, etc, etc...but I'm the furthest thing from an electrician around, even the simplest electric problems make me think that's for sure.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Most pop-ups (trailers in general) have the battery mounted on the tongue.  Check very near the battery for a fuse.  The lift is probably fed with a much heavier (possibly non-fused) cable from the battery than the rest of the trailer.  It's possible the smaller (fused) wire near the battery is broken or disconnected.

Kindly clue us in on the "other forum" you reference.  I subscribe to at least 5 tech forums and didn't see this post yet.  Could you tell us the URL of that forum?

Back
Top Bottom