Can I just PAY someone else to move a Fifth Wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Toad

Hi, Towing Folks,

I apologize in advance, because I'm sure this has been discussed many times.  (I just didn't find it in search.) 
:eek:

SCENARIO:  I am planning on buying a Redwood 36FB, for full-timing in the Dallas area.  I will probably move it only every few years, like maybe fifty miles every five years as I change jobs, or maybe 2000 miles to move to a different state.

QUESTION:  Is it possible to pay someone else to tow a large fifth wheel fifty miles in a metropolitan area, or 2000 miles from state to state?    And about how much would it cost?    And will they know what they are doing?

REASON:  I don't see the economic reason to buy a heavy duty truck, for myself, if I can pay someone one to three thousand dollars to do the towing when I need it.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Robt.

Yes you certainly can pay someone to move your 5er. I don't have the specifics but I know it can be done. Check this web site for more info:

http://www.towingrv.com/5thwheel.htm

YES, very easy to get someone to move your trailer, and after living in one place for a while you will probably know someone who will do it for gas and a beer.

Mark R. said:
YES, very easy to get someone to move your trailer, and after living in one place for a while you will probably know someone who will do it for gas and a beer.

Perhaps, but a professional with insurance would be a better choice.

Thanks everybody!

I appreciate the help...and knowing that I may not have to invest in a GMC diesel crewcab with duals at 26k for a high mileage used one.

...not that it wouldn't be fun to have one of those for toting the doggies around in..

Robt.

Mr_Toad said:
Thanks everybody!

I appreciate the help...and knowing that I may not have to invest in a GMC diesel crewcab with duals at 26k for a high mileage used one.

...not that it wouldn't be fun to have one of those for toting the doggies around in..

Robt.

Remember diesel engine are designed for high mileage... For you guys that think 100K or 200K or even 300K is high miles... Most diesel will live well beyond 700K and 900K without effort. I know of a few past 1 MILLON miles. So when you say "High mileage" what number do you mean?

http://i55.tinypic.com/20ggyva.jpg

Remember, dealers do it all the time.  They hire transporters to delivers rigs from the factory to their lot.  Have no idea as to the cost, but they are professionals and have the proper insurance to cover things if something we to happen.  I would check with the dealers you plan to buy from I'm sure they have of list of transporters in their area.  And congrats on picking Redwood.  We have the 36RL and love it.  Will be headed South in mid Oct for the Winter.

Mr_Toad said:
Thanks everybody!

Robt.

My neighbor has a Ford diesel PU here in the DFW area (Saginaw) for $5500.  It is older, but he is a mechanic so I would have no trouble getting it from him as he really spends money on his PU's.  I don't even know how many he has now, but he really has just moved to the dodge's because he likes the Cummins.  It's white, and I don't know what year it is, but he told me a bunch of work he did to it.  I just don't remember what all he's replaced.  PM me if you're interested and I'll see if Brandon has sold it yet and get you his number.  He had it yesterday. 

At our campground I get asked all the time to pull trailers.  I decline that is for the pro. Any rv place cwn tell you some people to pull it for you. Most campgrounds also know people. I know people that own a fifth wheel and do not own a truck due to the cost. They use the trailer for a summer house. Be careful who pulls the trailer. Make sure they are coverd.

I own Moving Mountains RV Hauler and have several clients that I move their RV'S for them because they are traveling nurses. Would be glad to add you to the list. We are a fully insured company and have over 14 years experience moving all kinds of trailers.

I own Moving Mountains RV Hauler and have several clients that I move their RV'S for them because they are traveling nurses. Would be glad to add you to the list. We are a fully insured company and have over 14 years experience moving all kinds of trailers.
This post was started 9 years ago so I hope they found someone. And the member hasn’t been back since 2015.

Back
Top Bottom