1984 Shasta E350 fuel pump cut off switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kennyshark

The tag under the hood on my 1984 Shasta MH says it has one and if inadvertently tripped it will stall or not start....OK I realise this but where is it? anyone have a clue, It Say's to look in owners manual but I dont have one. I haven't torn it up yet looking but will if I have to, Hoping someone knows could point Me in the direction. Thanks for any help.

Probably not very helpful, but I have a 1984 Mustang. I recall reading in the owners manual and seeing the switch in the trunk near the filler. It states that it could go off during an accident and then one could go to trunk to re-set..if all is safe.

Try looking behind the kick panels on both the driver and passenger sides. Kick panels are plastic, run vertically up the side of the vehicle, right next to where your feet are resting when sitting in the vehicle. The safety switch is typically black with a white section sticking out - from what I recall anyway. If it gets tripped, you simply push the button that pops up in the white section down to reset the switch.

What truck chassis was your Shasta built on?? Ford did use this gimmick on many vehicles and I seem to remember it was in the trunk on many cars. Knowing that might help in using an after market  manual that can often be found in your local library. (The names of the most popular ones escape me at the moment). (on edit: Chilton!!!)

Of course, as n7qvu said, it might go off under accident conditions, after all, that was its purpose in life, to prevent fuel being pumped all over the ground from a broken fuel line. In-tank fuel pumps were becoming more common about then and they were probably thinking  "Pinto" too.

it's an E350 Ford van front end, it was running fine then just quit, No fuel, it has an electric pump but I haven't found it yet, it has two gas tanks, I crawled up under it yesterday but we had lots of rain so its going to have to dry out before I get under it again. I was hoping just resetting a switch would fix it when I locate it.

kennyshark said:
it's an E350 Ford van front end, it was running fine then just quit, No fuel, it has an electric pump but I haven't found it yet, it has two gas tanks, I crawled up under it yesterday but we had lots of rain so its going to have to dry out before I get under it again. I was hoping just resetting a switch would fix it when I locate it.

How about the tank switching mechanism?? Don't know how that works but....

Would an after-market in line electric fuel pump be any help?  Or a temporary wire from the pump(s) to the source (for diagnostic purposes) be of any help??

I did a Bing search for "1984 E350 manual" and came up with many hits. Some where on eBay.
May I suggest you buy an owners/repair manual. Might come in handy for ?future? repairs also.

I was going to pick up a manual for the Van tommorrow, I also signed up for the Shasta motorhome owners group on Yahoo Groups but haven't been accepted yet as a member. they are supposed to have owner and service manuals online, thats what I need. Thanks to everyone so far!

In an RV this switch could be just about any where. On my old 84 Lindy E350 it was in the battery box in the stair well. The fuel pump was in the channel of the frame on the drivers side mid way between the front and rear wheels that could only be seen while completely under the unit.

It's behind the Passanger side kick panel, sticking out of the top of it, it's working so I crawled under it and removed the tank switching gizmo, it has six lines and wires going to it. The fuel gauge and switch haven't been working properley so I'm hoping this is a fuel pump also, It looks like it could be a pump too. if so this might solve both problems....stay tuned, more to follow, Thanks to everyone who responded.

After much checking I found out it has TWO electric fuel pumps one in each tank, also a few relays, now its time to diagnose the problem, hopefully I wont have to drop the tanks, as they are both full, Im thinking that IF the pumps are both bad I might replace them with one electric fuel pump mounted to the frame, we'll see....more to follow.

You probably do not have fuel pumps in your tanks. They usually only put pumps in the tanks of a fuel injected engine and you should be carberated in 1984!

Yep it has a Carburetor and it does have the pumps in the tanks, I replaced the relays and now the Fuel tank valve works, it switches from front to rear, I can hear the rear pump but the front one is not working, it runs out of fuel when I switch to that tank, also the rear fuel gauge doesn't work, its never worked since I bought it....so now I will drain both tanks, remove and clean them, put new pumps and sending units in change the rubber fuel lines to ethanol compatible, install a fuel/water separator and new filter, I should be good to go then, stay tuned.

You should have steel fuel lines all the way to the front with the possible exception of each end. I don't think rubber has been used for many, many years along the body underneath unless someone changed it out. Steel does have a nasty habit of rusting though, at least in the northeast.

It does have steel lines and the New Fuel Pump assemblies have the proper hoses already attached, They are Airtex P/N AFE2140S, from Auto Parts Warehouse.com $148.00 each free shipping, these are the ONLY ones I could find as an assembly. I wanted to change them both so My fuel gauges work like they are supposed to, and no future problems with the fuel system. I will follow up with an update on the parts ordering/shipping etc. I have never ordered from them so we will have to see how accurate the parts are and when they arrive, stay tuned...Kenny

OK The fuel pumps/sending units came in promptly, the only problem was there was no provision to run a fuel line to the generator, after a trip to Lowes I made up two tee fittings in brass with check valves, so when the generator is running it can only pull fuel from the tanks, not the carburetor. I also made a fuel manifold and mounted it in the generator compartment with two ball valves, now I can run the genset on either tank AND it will pull fuel all the way from the bottom of both tanks, before it would only run on the rear tank and would only go to 1/4 tank. A safety feature so someone wouldn't run out of gas, I prefer to choose which tank and how much fuel to run the generator on. the setup works like a champ!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom