WEST COAST STATES - "Just the facts Ma'am"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
After we got back from the Alaska trip in one (relative) piece, we decided not to head off to the east coast just yet. Instead we are going to hang out on the western side of the country for the rest of the year.  I had so much fun writing the Alaska journal, and I received such great recommendations and tips from other forum members, I decided to continue the journal with a west coast flavor.  So now, please join me on my ?West Coast States ? Just the Fact Ma?am? tour. 

After we crossed the Canadian border for the last time we made our first stop at North Whidbey Island RV Park. We went to our friend?s house and picked up the ?adult libations? and other supplies we couldn?t take into Canada with us.

We took the Port Townsend ferry over to Whidbey Island. For our 53? rig and tow car we paid $81.15 for the ? hour ferry ride from Oak Harbor to Port Townsend. That saved us about 200 miles of driving.  Reservations are recommended on the Ferry for larger vehicles, lest you may get bumped.  In Oak Harbor we paid a little under $30 a night for paved sites, grass between the sites and full hookups. That also included WiFi and cable, which we didn?t need.

The next stop we chose Sequim, WA.  Sequim is in close proximity to one of the National Parks that we had not visited yet, Olympic National Park.  We took two different off road trails in the park. The first was to ?Obstruction Point?.  The trail climbed to over 6000? and was heavily treed, with great views of the surrounding snow capped mountains. We could even see a distant glacier from the visitor?s center, which was at the start of the trail.

The other trail was Deerpark trail.  It climbed to 5800? through some very twisty narrow roads.  There was a campground near the top for small rigs (class B, or truck campers) and tents.  Both trails provided a panoramic view looking down on the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

We stayed in the ?Rainbows End? RV park. While it is right on highway 101, the traffic noise at night was negligible. We paid $35 a night for full hookups, 50 amp, and included Wi-Fi and cable. They had a large off leash dog area, and a onsite pond with lots of ducks and water birds.

When we got back into the states I need to fill up on propane. I was surprised how cheap (comparatively) that propane has become.  I paid $1.89 a gallon for propane at a gas station in Oak Harbor.  Apparently the US has a glut of propane right now. Propane is a byproduct of the recovery of Oil Shale mining in the east.  The story that I read on it said that by August of 2013, there will be no more room to store all of the Propane reserves that we currently have.  Wow.

We have now moved further south and have a spot at the Columbia Riverfront RV Park. The park is right on the shore of the Columbia, and we watch the boats travel up and down the river in route to ports in Portland, Vancouver, and points beyond.  We paid $33 a night for full 50 amp hook ups, Cable, Wi-Fi and a pool. There is a 3 acre grass area in front of the RV sites for playing games or walking the pets.

Diane found a local attraction to go visit today. A Grist Mill built in 1876 is still original and still operating.  We drove there and watched a demo of the water driven grinding stones turning wheat into wheat flour. We took home some corn meal and wheat flour and Diane whipped up a batch of fresh corn bread using the flour from the mill.  Good stuff!

Attachments

• P1000986.JPG
    P1000986.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P1000993.JPG
    P1000993.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 70
  • P1000981.JPG
    P1000981.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 66
  • Diane and Heidi enjoy the sunset.jpg
    Diane and Heidi enjoy the sunset.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Sunset on the Columbia.jpg
    Sunset on the Columbia.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Cedar Creek Covered Bridge.JPG
    Cedar Creek Covered Bridge.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Wheat goes in the top.JPG
    Wheat goes in the top.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 66
  • And flour comes out the bottom.JPG
    And flour comes out the bottom.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 69
  • Cedar Creek Grist Mill.JPG
    Cedar Creek Grist Mill.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 52
Sarge,

I really enjoyed your posts of the Alaska trip.  I'm excited to see that you are going to keep the posts coming for the West Coast States.
It seems like your trip was a lot shorter than it really was, probably because I wasn't in the drivers seat.  :D I hope you and Diane had a great time and I hope to see it myself one day.

Robin

You're not all that far from us, we're in White Salmon, WA, across the river from Hood River, OR.  Heading to Sequim on Wednesday.

Ned,

We are even closer as we are in site 100 of at the Columbia Riverfront RV Park.  Just pulled in today and need a spot for the next week somewhere as we couldn't get the reservations we needed.  We have to leave on Wednesday.

I cannot believe this - we just pulled out of Columbia RV after a month on Wednesday! I missed my live Alaskan update and the rocket man by just that much!

At least they closed the road along the north end of the park that powdered my new rig with so much dirt I could wet it and grow plants. You think Alaska was bad? You have no idea, and no rig rinsing!

That's a great little place to stay, otherwise. Find the couple on the back row with the Mini Cooper and Escalade fifth wheel and tell them you know me. They are locals from Ridgefield, just went full time, and know everything there is to know about the area, including the food!

Have a great time, and sorry we missed you both! We are in Forks, headed to Escapees at Chimacum, and then Sequim for two months.

Life is good!

Kim and Christi

Small world.  We live on Whidbey and drive by North Whidbey RV most days. Tomorrow we are taking the ferry to Port Townsend and going down 101 ending up at Millersyvania State Park south of Olympia.  I'm using 101 as an alternative to I-5 and driving through Seattle/Tacoma.  From there it's I-84 east in Oregon with a final destination in Saint Maries Idaho for a Labor Day weekend with friends.

Thanks Robin! It was fun "taking everybody with me!" It felt like I wasn't alone out there! 

Ned said:
You're not all that far from us, we're in White Salmon, WA

Shoot Ned, we coulda past on the road!

Jim Godward said:
Ned,

We are even closer as we are in site 100 of at the Columbia Riverfront RV Park.

I'll stop by tomorrow Jim and say Hi!

skyking4ar2 said:
I cannot believe this - we just pulled out of Columbia RV after a month on Wednesday! I missed my live Alaskan update and the rocket man by just that much!

Hey Kim, we almost had the makings of a mini rally!  We keep this up we will all have to be at the same place at some point!

We leave here next Thursday and head for Horn Rapids RV in Richland WA.

I think we're doing circles around each other :)

Kim and Christi,

We will be in Sequim on Wed of this week for five days.  We will be at Gilgal Oasis and will be taking the ferry over to Victoria one day to tour the city and Buchard Gardens.  Let's see if we can get together, just send us an email with your phone # or we can do the same.  It would be great to see you again because it has been much to long.

skyking4ar2 said:

Kim, weren't you in the park in WA, we are in the one in Portland.  Seems to me you indicated you were down river from Portland????

Jim Godward said:
Kim, weren't you in the park in WA, we are in the one in Portland.  Seems to me you indicated you were down river from Portland? ???

We were at the Portland one a month ago.

We will be in the Portland area till Aug 30 so if anyone is in the area too, let us know.  The RV Parks are pretty full so if headed this way, get reservations.

Both Jantzen Beach and Columbia River are full most evenings.  I haven't tried Fairview, we usually have stayed there in the past but CR park is more convenient to where the family lives now. 

We will be in Columbia River RV park from now to the 30th.

Jim Godward said:
And where are you now???

We're in Bakersfield, heading to Pomona tomorrow. A friends and family rally at East Shore RV Park (next to Fairplex). Barbara and Alan Wax will be there and I believe that they are still Forumites, so we can call it another Frally.

Back
Top Bottom