Canadians Who Full-Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sj1980

Are there any Canadians on the board who RV full-time? We live in Saskatchewan and there's a very silly residency requirement here. Basically, we actually have to own property here in order to be able to take advantage of snowbirding, not to mention that our vehicle cannot be outside of Saskatchewan for more than six months of the year. So....hmmm. That poses a problem because we want to be gone for at least a full year.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hi sj, welcome to the forum.  Since these issues are predominantly Provincial matters, I doubt that you will get much by way of meaningful responses.  I know several Canadian full timers, but none from Saskatchewan.  I have never heard of real estate ownership being a requirement of residency, but most Canadian vehicle insurers require the vehicle to be in the registration Province a minimum of 6 months per year, but I don't know how they monitor or how they could.  But most importantly, is most Provinces require 6 months annual residency for health insurance coverage, although many will provide specific exemptions if you apply, and I believe some provinces such as Newfoundland allow 9 months, or some I hear have reduced it to 3 months.
  So, I would suggest you correspond with the appropriate Provincial departments to get all the requirements.

Ed

Thanks so much for your response, Ed. I spoke with SGI here in Saskatchewan. The requirements for this do indeed involve owning property which you are NOT permitted to rent out while you're gone. It's very silly, really. Newfoundland, which is my home province, doesn't have that requirement. I think the biggest reason why I wanted to keep Saskatchewan as my permanent residence is because of our awesome insurance rates. Saskatchewan won't even permit you to have the RV out of the province for more than 6 months.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Hi sj, welcome to the forum.  Since these issues are predominantly Provincial matters, I doubt that you will get much by way of meaningful responses.  I know several Canadian full timers, but none from Saskatchewan.  I have never heard of real estate ownership being a requirement of residency, but most Canadian vehicle insurers require the vehicle to be in the registration Province a minimum of 6 months per year, but I don't know how they monitor or how they could.  But most importantly, is most Provinces require 6 months annual residency for health insurance coverage, although many will provide specific exemptions if you apply, and I believe some provinces such as Newfoundland allow 9 months, or some I hear have reduced it to 3 months.
  So, I would suggest you correspond with the appropriate Provincial departments to get all the requirements.

Ed

After reading your post I got to thinking more, and then I decided to make some calls. Turns out the residency requirement is for snowbirds only. We fall into a different category, so I have found out that we can indeed do our year-long RV trip without issues related to insurance and driver's licences, etc. I can't wait! I'm very excited!

I'm glad it worked out for you, enjoy your trip.  We've never tried full timing, but have spent upwards of 9 months some years in the coach, but it isn't likely we'll do that again.  Yet we haven't stayed a night in our house in Halifax since early last December.

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom