Toad Suggestions (4WD)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

Seeking suggestions for a Toad to pull behind 2000 Itasca Horizon (300hp).  Here are my ideal criteria:

-4WD with some limited off-road capability (i.e., stock Jeep Liberty-type capability, not Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler capability)
-Seats at least 5 (2 adults and 3 teens; teens don't have to be comfortable  ;D); 6 would be even better in case MIL comes along
-Towable four-down without modification
-Relatively reliable
-Under 5000 lbs
-Max budget $12K; prefer under $10K, (price point to be met at under 100K miles)

The vehicle will also double as a driver for my teenage daughter.  I am strongly considering a Jeep Liberty, but am a little concerned about reliability as the online reviews seem to be split about 50/50 between greatest SUV ever and total lemon.  I would also consider a Jeep Cherokee, but it's difficult to find one that doesn't have a zillion miles.

Another alternative is to tow my 2009 Suburban 4x4 and pick up a different vehicle for the girl to drive, but its weight would put me right at or a little above my GCWR, depending on how much the coach is loaded.

I eagerly await your suggestions.

The Jeep Cherokee suits your requirements to a T, but as you say, they tend to be high mileage in the price range you are considering. Maybe a GMC Envoy 4WD?  Chevy Trailblazer 4WD?  Gonna be crowded for 5 people, though.

You really have conflicting needs - any vehicle that can hold 5-6 adults is going to be 5000 lbs or more.

Our GMC Canyon will seat 5, has 4WD, towable 4 down, about 4000# curb weight, and a 2007-2008 should be in your budget range.

Thanks Ned & Gary. 

I'm not too concerned about cramming the three kids into a bench back seat, and the mother-in-law lives with us, but says she's not planning on coming along on trips, so 6 pax is not essential.  Not planning on taking long side trips in the toad, so comfort is not that big a deal. 

The Suburban has a listed curb weight of 5600 lbs.  The GCWR (approx 31K lbs) on the Horizon is 5000 lbs over the GVWR (approx 26K).  I suppose if we packed light enough, we could be within the GCWR.  I'm just concerned that if we take planned trips out west, we're really going to be pushing it in the mountains.  On the other hand, I also ask myself how big the 2000 lb difference between a 3800 lb Jeep and a 5800 lb Sub really is?

Maybe I just need a coach with more towing capacity?  ;D

Scott:

With a family of 5 the only number to plan on for the Meridian is that it is loaded to the GVW for anything but a weekend trip. Also loading the coach below GVW does not increase the max tow limit of the motorhome which is probably 5000lbs.

You may have a 5000 lb rated hitch receiver, which would become the limiting factor. But if it's a 10k receiver, than staying under the GVWR effectively gives more towing capacity.

I think the Envoy & Trailblazer are a bit larger than a Liberty.  A Honda CRV is the same size as a Liberty and makes a great toad. Has AWD. Dodge Nitro 4WD is towable too.

Chevy Equinox has AWD, seats 5, under 4K, and tows 4 down.  Your budget is low for anything with respectable mileage.  My 2006 CR-V toad got totaled and the adjustor and I started the argument at 16K.

Have you looked at the Suzuki XL-7. I see quite a few being towed and they will seat 7 abiet a little tight. My DW has one and loves it. We lioke the Jeep Liberty but seating 5 is tight but it's off road capaility is good.

sure see a large number of 4 door Wranglers behind RV's so you might wanna take a look... the 4 door handles 5 I guess plus storage.  The stock model is fairly tame compared to the heavily modified, true rock crawlers.  The re-sell value stays pretty high...and there is "service" available practically everywhere.  If you actually do go off-road, it's clearly a leader.  Just sayin'

Thanks guys.  The 4-door Wrangler is probably going to be a little out of my desired budget, but I'll take a look.  I can honestly say I've never heard of a Suzuki XL-7, so I'll have to look into that as well.  We don't see many Suzukis in small-town Illinois (other than two-wheelers)

GW-How do you like your Liberty?  I'm really leaning that direction right now.  I'll have a better idea when I get home from overseas in a month and have a chance to test drive some different vehicles.

Thanks,

jagnweiner said:
Seeking suggestions for a Toad to pull behind 2000 Itasca Horizon (300hp).  Here are my ideal criteria:

-4WD with some limited off-road capability (i.e., stock Jeep Liberty-type capability, not Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler capability)
-Seats at least 5 (2 adults and 3 teens; teens don't have to be comfortable  ;D); 6 would be even better in case MIL comes along
-Towable four-down without modification
-Relatively reliable
-Under 5000 lbs
-Max budget $12K; prefer under $10K, (price point to be met at under 100K miles)

The vehicle will also double as a driver for my teenage daughter.  I am strongly considering a Jeep Liberty, but am a little concerned about reliability as the online reviews seem to be split about 50/50 between greatest SUV ever and total lemon.  I would also consider a Jeep Cherokee, but it's difficult to find one that doesn't have a zillion miles.

Another alternative is to tow my 2009 Suburban 4x4 and pick up a different vehicle for the girl to drive, but its weight would put me right at or a little above my GCWR, depending on how much the coach is loaded.

I eagerly await your suggestions.

Here's one at a dealer at the top of your price point, but a 2007 with 82,845 miles, and looks clean from the pics.  With a little haggleing you may get it close to your $10k price point.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/3234177432.html

The Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD and its Chevy Tracker sister make excellent toads. The older XL7 is a stretched version of that, while the new XL7 is a separate design. We towed a 2000 and a 2003 Chevy Tracker 4 door 4WD for 50k miles. Similar to a Liberty.

The new (2nd generation) Suzuki XL7 share a lot of mechanical components with the Pontiac Torrent, the Chevy Equinox and the Saturn View.  However the XL7 is longer and can sit 7.

That is the reason I bought the 2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4 automatic.  Easy to hookup, unhook and tow.  I needed the towing capacity the Liberty provided to tow a boat.  Another RV'r liked my boat so much he burned it up.  Now, I don 't need the Lib for towing.  However, I like it too much to replace it.

After 4 years the Lib has performed well, on back-roads at Big Bend National Park.  I also like the 4x4 in heavy rains.  It has been a GLV.

The only issue, I recently had to replace the fan/water-pump.  After 4 years, ok.....

Like most Lib owners, I would like better mileage, but it is a Jeep 4x4.  The spare tire is secured under the frame below the rear gate, which I like, and have not had to use.

I won't give up the Lib, I will keep it for towing as long as it has wheels, and until I decide on a new runaround.

The Lib was my first Jeep, and I just won't give it up.  This seems to be the last year for them making the Liberty.  It is a race to see who becomes a relic first, me or the Liberty,,,,,,oops, I lose.  ;D

If you look at the Liberty before 2008, I think it is a smaller vehicle with the spare on the rear gate, but folks seem to love it as well.

Good Luck with your decision.

RVVolunteer said:
The Lib was my first Jeep, and I just won't give it up. 

My first Jeep was a '91 Cherokee Sport, manual, no AC.  Unfortunately, I foolishly gave it up for about $700 when I bought my father's '96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (which I also wish I still had).

Thanks again for the input.

Given that the budget is under $12k, I assumed that a new XL7 (or even a late model) is out of the question. I'm thinking we are talking about something prior to 2007?  A 2005 Liberty would sell for around $10k

I really like my Liberty. It really drives nice and so far has been very dependable. Yes, you can seat 5 but it is tigjht and probably uncomfortable for the one stuck in the middle. Cargo space is limited but a golf bag fits in the rear so I don't complain. Done some of the 4wd trails in Grand Tetons and the ride was good.

If I should decide to replace it down the road, I would definitely consider another Jeep. BTW, ths Liberty can go through some pretty deep water in it's stock configuration.  Just went through Isaac with water in places over 18" deep in several places and went through with no problem.  Thanks for your service JAG.

Gary has just about pegged the situation.  I could probably spend more, but don't really want to, as it will be a "third vehicle" that my daughter will use for driving locally when not used as a toad.  Not going to replace the DW's Suburban or the Camry I use for my daily commute.  So I'll probably be looking for something 2005 or older.

GW- Thanks for the report on the Liberty.  Cargo space shouldn't be an issue for me, as it will just be used for local sightseeing, etc. on RV trips.  Congrats on picking up on the meaning of my screen name.  I was an AF JAG awhile ago.  Now I'm a civilian attorney with the Army.  I've just kept that screen name, which refers to my former occupation and a now-long-deceased Dachsund.  :D

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 5-Speed standard, 6 cyl., 4WD, soft top.
Seats two in front and the rear bench will accommodate the three kids OK.
I tow 4 down, transfer case in neutral, gear shift in third., key turned to allow free steering.
I really don't know it is even there.
I have to occasionally check the rear camera to see if it's still hooked up.
I designed and had fabricated a set of tow bar connections that bolt over the bumper using the existing hardened bolts, directly into the frame. Stronger than most commercial bolt-on assys and a lot cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom