Best Class A Diesel for the money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cardarlinow

Hello All,
My name is Lindy
My husband and I are looking into purchasing an RV in the next couple months.  We know we want a Diesel pusher and we know we want the bunk bed option.  So that really narrows it down to only a few.  We've been looking at Berkshire and we've been looking at Fleetwood Discovery.  I guess I'm just getting sticker shock at the price.  I know we can afford it, but it would be nice not to have to pay so much! ;)  So I was wondering if anyone can give us some opinions one the best RV (Diesel is a must) for our family of four.  Having the most sleeping space is nice also because we have family who visits from overseas so definitely looking to sleep at least 7 total.  Any ideas between these two models or maybe there is a model that sleeps 7 nicely but doesn't have bunks?  Whats the best RV to purchase used?  Any of them have an excellent track record?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Lindy and welcome to the forum !!!!

There are numerous and very fine coaches available but Fleetwood does make a wonderful coach. American also makes a fine coach. With such a big family getting a floor plan that works for you the best is most critical. If RVing was cheap everyone would do it..:)  All coaches are going to have a problem, new ones off the floor and used ones. Something 2 or 3 years old with the bugs worked out might be up your alley. Good luck and let us know what you get.

I highly recommend buying used, but your need for bunks or extra sleeping space is going to severely limit the choices and makes finding a used one difficult.

Generally speaking, the more expensive brands are somewhat better built - better cabinetry, higher quality fabrics and flooring, design features that make maintenance easier, that sort of thing. A discerning eye will note the differences.

I agree with Gary. Start off used. Stay less than $40K for your first one. Virtually no one gets it right the first time because you can't really know what you want in an RV until you have used one for a while. Almost everyone is ready to upgrade their first RV within a year or two. Buying an inexpensive used one will cut your losses when you trade it in. And if you don't like RVing you won't have a $300k debt that you are upside down on if you finance it.

No matter whether you buy new or use the floorplan is way more important that the name of the manufacturer. There are no junky RVs for sale except the older ones that have been thrashed. I would also recommend you rent an RV for a week end or two before you purchase one.

Thank you for all the comments so far.  I really appreciate it.

How hard is it to trade in a used RV?  How fast do they depreciate in value?  I've been leaning more towards used just to try it out and have more money for more travels,  but my husband is leaning more towards new.  I believe he is afraid of just not knowing what the previous owners have done.  Renting an RV for a weekend around here ( Southeast Michigan) is about 1500 dollars.  We discussed renting but I think we decided we'd rather use that on a payment since we feel confident we will like RVing (we have friends and my parents have a very very very old class c).

Anyone have experience with trading in their used Motorhome?  Did you feel like you lost a lot of money?

I don't know what you consider losing money. If you buy an RV, keep it for a year and sell it then you will never get exactly what you paid for it. RVs depreciate like a rock. Rather than trade the old RV in you can sell it yourself and get a better price. There is a huge market for used RVs so it is not that hard to resell one. If you buy a new one and keep it two years and decide to upgrade the financial hit would be incredible compared to starting with a cheaper used one.

Seilerbird is correct on taking a hit. You can get a great deal on an older coach and not have any major issues. Less depreciation. Something like this might make both of you happy:  http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail5041546.htm

The money you save you can use to go RVing !!!!!

Your answer may depend on how big your kids are.  For example, if some are pretty small, two may be able to sleep in a booth dinette.  If you want to get your feet wet and know you really want a diesel, you can find diesels in the $50K and under range around model year 2000-01 with a floor plan of pull-out sleeper sofa on drivers side (sleeps 2), love seat across from sleeper sofa on passenger side (sleeps 1), and booth dinette (sleeps 1-2 depending on size).  That would get you to 7, albeit tight.  If you find one you like but with a standalone table and chairs, you can swap out a booth dinettte for about $1000

Another non-bunk option would be a newer model, say a 2004 Fleetwood Discovery, with the same layout, but with 3 or 4 slides (slides on both sides of the main living area).  This opens up a lot of floor space and you could throw down an extra air mattress on the floor.  You are now looking at a minimum $60-70K.

And yes, RVs depreciate like a rock, particularly newer RVs.  Others may have different opinions, but I would say a brand-new RV depreciates by 25% the minute you drive it of the lot.

We have made a few bucks on a couple of used RVs we have owned by selling one to an individual and by buying another in the midwest and trading it in out west where prices were higher on used RVs but when I add it all up we plan on 10% a year for depreciation or capital improvements.

To do that we buy used and keep our RVs for five to ten years. Trading more often or buying newer motor homes woud make that number higher.

Thanks again for your responses.  Our children are small.  3 and 9 months so I'm thinking that we can get away without a bunk right now if we buy use.  We can upgrade in say 5-6 years?

What are some common problems with Diesels that come with age?  Anything specific that we should look for when shopping used?  We are not mechanics so that is one of our fears with buying used. 

Most diesels 5-6 years old are pretty hard to beat. Maintenance and service costs will be higher than a Gasser. Turbos and injector pumps are $$$ when they break but it should be many years before anything super expensive breaks.  A good service when due, from someone you trust, and addressing small issues quickly so they do not become major issues will get you many happy miles.

An RV is going to break, something is going to quit working, that seems to be the nature of the beast. BUT you have us here to help you out.

Diesels typically go 500k miles before a major rebuild is needed. Most people don't even consider a diesel as being broken in until it gets to around 25k miles.

We recently bought a used diesel pusher. A thorough inspection up front is critical.  Also, although some may argue, a service contract could help with peace of mind regarding large out of pocket repairs.  But the pre purchase inspection is the key.  A year ago we bought a 2005 Winnebago Journey 34 foot.  It sleeps 5 comfortably, 6 in a pinch.  We paid 75K and got a 5 year service contract for 3,500.00.  We have had no major issues in the year we've owned it.  We did file a service contract claim for the thermostat on the a/c, a small leak and an awning issue.  None were major, but the service contract limited my exposure and gives me that peace of mind going forward.  Our MH had 34k miles, which is nothing for a diesel.  We have spent about $ 900.00 in maintenance the first year (oil and all filters changed and 2 new engine batteries).  We only put about 3k miles on it the first year.  This just gives you one person's experience, but I think it's pretty typical.  We owned a small class c gasser for 15 years.  Love the DP much better.  Best decision we ever made.  And as others here have said, we love our floorplan and it is the single most important feature.

Steve 

Jeff said:
We have made a few bucks on a couple of used RVs we have owned by selling one to an individual and by buying another in the midwest and trading it in out west where prices were higher on used RVs but when I add it all up we plan on 10% a year for depreciation or capital improvements.

very helpful - as we're trying to find a diesel pusher for out family with 3 kiddos and wondering about resale.

SeilerBird said:
No matter whether you buy new or use the floorplan is way more important that the name of the manufacturer. There are no junky RVs for sale except the older ones that have been thrashed.

That's not what we're seeing as we try on a wide variety of manufacturers. Some have quality construction with wood cabinetry, tile, etc while some are all pressed wood and feel cheap. Know nothing about engines, but guessing cheap inside means lower quality under the hood?

but guessing cheap inside means lower quality under the hood?

Not necessarily, as you may find the same engine/transmission/running gear combination on quite a range of coaches, but a quality "house" part means you'll be happy with it longer, all else being equal, and it'll probably hold up better over the long haul.

Lindy,

I personally think that whether you full or part time in the RV influences many of the decisions you will make.

I agree with those who believe starting out used is best, which we did. I believe strongly in a good inspection of any used DP, including tire and batteries ages. Your need for bunks is a wrinkle, not that you cannot straighten it out, but if you have to buy new to solve for that, I think that might be a poor choice.

Trading up (or down, for that matter) is not a problem, except you will invariably take some kind of whipping, unless you steal the first one. Motorhomes are not necessities and the depreciation on used reflects that.

After two years of full timing in a four year old (when we bought it) used diesel with an extended warranty, which was never used, we traded into a new one, larger and suited for the way we expect to be living. We did not save money and don't believe motorhomes are an investment.

We do believe that you have to decide what you are willing to pay to have a wonderful life on the road and no regrets. We do have a wonderful life, like many here, and we have no regrets.

Enjoy the wisdom and opinions stated by all with their varied experiences. Down the road, you will be glad you did. This whole process is very much life changing.

You guys have all been wonderful so far!  Thanks for all the advice. 

I'm glad you all mentioned about a service contract and a pre purchase inspection.  Those were going to be my next questions. 

How do you go about getting an inspection on a used MH?  Who do you go to, to do that kind of thing?

After reading all the comments earlier this afternoon I started searching for used MH.  I have found many floor plans that I like (minus the bunk beds) for only 1/3 of the price we were looking at  new.  I will continue to search for used.  We won't be ready to purchase for a few months.

Lindy:
  If you post where you are located, some forum members may be able to refer you to an RV mechanic in your area.  If you know someone in your neighborhood that has an RV, ask them where they go and how satisfied they are.  There is always Camping World that are located nationwide.  Not necessarily the cheapest place, but that's where we had ours done.  They did a reasonably good job and I think the fee was in the $ 200.00 range.  Assuming the seller will take it for inspection.  If you buy it from a dealer, they should be willing to take it for an inspection.  If you buy it from a private party, you will have to ask them if they are wiling to take it to a place of your choice for inspection?  Otherwise, you may have to go with a mobile guy like Tom suggested.  It's really just a matter of getting someone qualified and I like to get referrals from satisfied customers.  Glad to see you are starting your homework now for a purchase a couple months out.  That means you'll have time to research and not jump at the first thing you see.  Good luck.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom