rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Saving Camping Spots  (Read 9920 times)

Frizlefrak

• ---
  • El Paso, Texas
Re: Saving Camping Spots
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »

I agree that if it is a paid spot I would be OK with parking ahead of time. RV parks and campgrounds "need" to fill as many sites as possible in off season or during the week. The monthly Occupancy Report is of critical importance to the owners of a park. They need a certain rate percentage to pay the bills to avoid default on their loan - and an empty site is not a good thing. And that trumps most other considerations such as renting a site to an RVer that won't be in the RV all the time.

Absolutely. 

Private campgrounds are "for profit" operations.  No profit means no campground.  Higher utilization of assets means more profit, better facilities, and MORE campgrounds.  If campgrounds in a given area are always full, some enterprising person will see the profit potential and invest in building another, perhaps better campground.  Without that profit motive, things fall apart quickly.
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Palomino 30' TT

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »
Without that profit motive, things fall apart quickly.

Capitalism at its finest.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Wolf Pack Fan

• ---
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »
I can see people being frustrated when someone does an early reservation, but then again, reservations are first come first served also.  If I make the reservation first, then the site is mine for whatever period of time I reserved it for, for however I want to use it, so long as it's within the rules of the campground.  If the rules don't prohibit me from reserving early and I don't spend the first night, or any night in the campsite it's still my campsite.  Empty or not.  The old cliche "The early bird gets the worm" comes to mind.  If you miss out because you didn't reserve early enough, tough.  Reserve earlier.  Personally I would never reserve a spot without intent of using it, but if I needed to buy an extra night or 2 and reserve, say wed & thur so I'd have it for Fri, Sat, Sun night I'd do it and I'd do it within the limits of the campground rules.
Proud to have served 1976-1996.  Retired US Army, Airborne.
2005, 34' National Dolphin, Gasser.
Long time camper, first time RV camper.  Love it!

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »
Here, if you reserve and do not show by a certain time, the site is released.  If you call and let them know you will be a day late, they will release it for that night. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord (sold) & 1986 Westfalia (sold), and now 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara.
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jeff Brown

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 08:13:10 AM »
I was going to mention that many state and national parks have a system that gives your site away if you dont show up, as Bill did.  But as mentioned before not showing up isnt the issue here.  I'm not sure what would happen if you just booked a site for the whole summer and left your rig on it someplace like Yellowstone that is full all the time.  Come visit for the weekend and have no occupancy from Sunday night to Friday night? 

Any ideas?  Any one know of this happening at someplace as popular and full as Yellowstone?

Jeff Brown
Jeff - Driver
Wife - In complete control!
Bear - strapped to his seat! (9 year old son)
Duncan and Bailey (the dogs) - constantly looking for a different window
2002 Bounder 36S "King Charles the Great Bounder" or "Big Chuck"

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »
I don't think you can stay on sites for longer than 2 weeks or something.  Plus only on CG has hookups, so you would need to leave sooner or later.  I have been hoping to get into Slough Creek, but that fills as people leave. 

This is a CG that I use my Westy for, the MH couldn't even get to it on the windy dirt road.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord (sold) & 1986 Westfalia (sold), and now 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara.
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI