True cost of owning a trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yhbae

Other than the obvious (depreciation cost, extra gas cost, maintenance cost), are there any other significant costs involved in owning trailers?

How much does insurance cost for trailers? Do they approach to the level of cars, or are they much cheaper? Is it much cheaper to insure a cheap trailer?

Your feedback are much appreciated. :)

yhbae said:
Other than the obvious (depreciation cost, extra gas cost, maintenance cost), are there any other significant costs involved in owning trailers? YES.  There is always ongoing maintenance costs.  If you are handy these are not too bad.  If you have to pay for it it can be extensive

How much does insurance cost for trailers? Do they approach to the level of cars, or are they much cheaper? Is it much cheaper to insure a cheap trailer? YES

What are you trying to figure out?  Cost of ownership is dependent on way too many variables to give you a definitive answer.  How much is family enjoyment worth to you?  That is the real question

yhbae said:
Other than the obvious (depreciation cost, extra gas cost, maintenance cost), are there any other significant costs involved in owning trailers?

How much does insurance cost for trailers? Do they approach to the level of cars, or are they much cheaper? Is it much cheaper to insure a cheap trailer?

Other costs:  propane; tools and gear such as sewer lines, power adapters, water hoses; storage, which cost me $125/month (I live in a metropolitan area).

Insurance for trailers is much cheaper than a motor vehicle.    It does not include liability coverage, which is covered by the tow vehicles.  All you need for a trailer is collision and comprehensive.  Since that coverage is limited by the value of the trailer, a cheap trailer needs cheaper insurance -- but then it is not a big item to begin with.   

donn said:
What are you trying to figure out?  Cost of ownership is dependent on way too many variables to give you a definitive answer.  How much is family enjoyment worth to you?  That is the real question

I'm trying to do as much research into plunging in. Knowing how much it would cost me to keep up will give me a better idea how to budget my expenses. Hence, I was trying to get some idea from those who are doing it already.  ;)

Carl L said:
Other costs:  propane; tools and gear such as sewer lines, power adapters, water hoses; storage, which cost me $125/month (I live in a metropolitan area).

Insurance for trailers is much cheaper than a motor vehicle.    It does not include liability coverage, which is covered by the tow vehicles.  All you need for a trailer is collision and comprehensive.  Since that coverage is limited by the value of the trailer, a cheap trailer needs cheaper insurance -- but then it is not a big item to begin with. 

Sounds like those expenses are rather minor, except for the storage cost, which I'm trying to avoid by getting something that will fit in my garage. Good to hear that the insurance for the trailers are cheaper than those for cars.

yhbae said:
Sounds like those expenses are rather minor, except for the storage cost, which I'm trying to avoid by getting something that will fit in my garage. Good to hear that the insurance for the trailers are cheaper than those for cars.

Remember I said that I was in a metropolitan area -- west Los Angeles to be exact.  Land is not cheap there, even "cheap" land.  Most folks can do a lot better on storage rental.  Shop around your area.  Getting a trailer that fits in a garage is going to be tough unless you limit yourself to tent trailers or popups.  Even with those, you may have trouble with trailer length.

Carl L said:
Remember I said that I was in a metropolitan area -- west Los Angeles to be exact.  Land is not cheap there, even "cheap" land.  Most folks can do a lot better on storage rental.  Shop around your area.  Getting a trailer that fits in a garage is going to be tough unless you limit yourself to tent trailers or popups.  Even with those, you may have trouble with trailer length.

So far, I found couple that are not popups and it will fit in the garage but I do admit they are rather small (except for the expensive TrailManor series) and given their interior space, they are not cheap. Still, I'd like to look for something that will fit in the garage, and as a consequence, they will be lower in height hence better fuel economy and well as easy towing ability. This way, I don't need to change my life style (no humongous trucks/houses with big garages etc) too much when I experiment this time around.

I'm figuring that I could do lots of smaller trips that last 1-3 weeks and start from there. If I like it, then slowly upgrade both the trailer/TV and the environment that will accommodate this living style. We currently do frequent 1 week trips using just tents.

Where do you live?  In my relatively rural area, secure outdoor storage is $20 a month.  Finding a trailer you can store in your garage is, as you've already figured out, very limiting.

jagnweiner said:
Where do you live?  In my relatively rural area, secure outdoor storage is $20 a month.  Finding a trailer you can store in your garage is, as you've already figured out, very limiting.

Unfortunately, I live in downtown Toronto. Not cheap.  :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom