Starcraft Travelstar hybrid - tent corner problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fdonahoe

We have a 2005 starcraft travelstar 21sso hybrid and on the front tent, in the top corner, it has come apart from the frame.  The canvas is in good shape, with no cracks or holes, it's just this corner that has opened.  It seems a shame to replace the whole thing, since there is nothing wrong with the canvas.  Any idea how this can be fixed?  We don't know too much about campers.  Thanks in advance.  I included a photo of the hole. 

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 36
I'm not sure what I'd take to the canvas shop.  The canvas is squeezed in to that metal piece, which is attached permantly, it looks to me, to the camper.  Is it possible to pry open that metal and re-insert the canvas and somehow seal it again? 

First off...  Welcome to the Forum.

Secondly.  I am not sure as to what I am looking at.  Was the binding on the edge of the canvas stapled on the trim piece?  If so get a power stapler, or a Screw, or some type of mechanical fastner and re-attach it.  Possibly seal it to the trim with some silicone etc.

If that is not what I am seeing maybe a few more pics and/or better description of the original attachment would be helpful.  Pics from outside. Pics from inside that are not as close and maybe even closer if you can??

Best of luck.  This looks like something that can be repaired and not require a replacement to me.

Some additional photos.  I hope it helps.  It really looks to me like the canvas is pinched in to this metal piece, which is permanently attached.  It looks like there is dried glue coming off in some spots where a repair was previously tried.  The one photo shows me pushing the canvas back in where it's supposed to go.  Not sure if the photos will need to be rotated, but the metal piece should be a top left corner.  The brown drape is hanging down behind it.  Thanks!

Attachments

• photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 21
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 20
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 23
Yes,  I see now.

And yes it looks like an old "wound" that someone tried to glue back in and then Ping the metal to help hold it.

My first thought is to push the canvas back into the slot.  Have someone hold it there and put some type "mechanical" fastener through the metal slot and canvas.  At first thought, maybe a pop rivet through a drilled hole?  That would not leave a sharp edge on either side and harm the canvas when not in use.  I cant see whats on the other side and assume it somewhat open.  IF it is in a position that will not contact the canvas or anything else so to speak.  MAYBE a couple of sheet metal screw through the metal track, canvas and out the other side.  Small screws that are not too long.

I also would try to see why it is pulling at that corner and try to prevent that stress in the future.

Does this sound do-able?

What ever you do.  Sooner than later is good advice to prevent further damage to the canvas and the interior as well.

Those are good suggestions.  Thanks.  I've attached another picture taken from the outside.  I guess a screw would come through, but it might be ok.  I'll pass this info on to someone who knows more about this than I do.  I REALLY appreciate the help!  Thanks!

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 21
OK,  I see now.

This is a hybrid and the rubber seal is for when the bed is closed.  right?

You may want to pull the rubber weather strip back and install your fastener from that direction then re glue the strip back in place.  If any sticks out on the inside you can file it down so as not to be sharp or cover that with something to protect from damage.

Best of Luck and keep us posted.

Yes, that's right.  A hybrid and the seal is for when it's closed.  I'll check that out and see if we can do it from the outside.  Thanks.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond about our results.  I don't have a picture, but I wanted to let you know that we were able to correct this by prying open the metal that was holding the tent, scraping out all the old glue, re-inserting the tent edge and clamping it down again.  Good as new.  Seems very tight too.  Thanks for all your help! 

Back
Top Bottom