Questions about Rig & Personal Security and Insurance for Contents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sew on the Go

We are about to become full-timers. I've tried the search feature and looked through the library, but I haven't found articles or discussions about rig and personal security for full-timers or insurance for the contents of our 5W. Am I looking in the wrong place? We are interested in how to assure our personal and vehicle security while full-timing, e.g., lights, alarms, safes, additional locks, where to safely leave the RV if we had to fly to a funeral, etc. Also, what kinds of security and insurance are recommended for our personal property inside the RV?

Thanks in advance,
Patrice in Fairbanks, AK

I have been a full timer for the last 9 years and security is something that just doesn't cross my mind. I lock my doors when I leave but that is about it. I may be a dreamer but I feel that an RV is just about as secure as you can get. They are easy to break into but way too many RVers have dogs and guns making them a risky proposition for a break in. I don't insure the contents of my RV. Have you read the Full timing 101 article in our library?

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:fulltimeprep&catid=29:fulltiming&Itemid=45

Thanks, Tom. I had read the Full-timing 101 article when we first started thinking about selling our house and hitting the road. I just re-read it though, because you mentioned it, and it sure has a lot more context for me now that we are just 40 days from full-time "liftoff"!

I installed a small fireproof box (safe) in the closet of my 5er, lagged bolt in so it doesn't move. The only other security I use is a locking hasp on the bed so that if we want to keep anything safe when we leave for a long time, we can lock the bed down. Its a big storage area and fairly secure but if someone wants to get at your things it's going to happen.
Not generally a problem at the campgrounds we visit.

Bob

Sew on the Go said:
Thanks, Tom. I had read the Full-timing 101 article when we first started thinking about selling our house and hitting the road. I just re-read it though, because you mentioned it, and it sure has a lot more context for me now that we are just 40 days from full-time "liftoff"!

I have always had problems reading and fully understanding "how-to" articles because it was difficult for me to relate to these new situations. After I've had experience with the issues, things kind of fall into place. Let me suggest another re-reading 40 days after lift off and there'll be even more context for you.

BernieD said:
I have always had problems reading and fully understanding "how-to" articles because it was difficult for me to relate to these new situations. After I've had experience with the issues, things kind of fall into place. Let me suggest another re-reading 40 days after lift off and there'll be even more context for you.
I am the same way. When I buy a new complicated piece of electronics, like a new camera, I always make a point of rereading the owners manual a month or so after the first time I read it. In fact with cameras I usually read the manual online before it arrives, then read it with camera in hand after I get it and then a month later. And I still don't understand everything.

We may be naive, but we just don't worry much about personal security. Or even about theft around the campsite, though we have experienced a few minor losses.    Campgrounds are generally safe places, but there are places near larger cities where some caution is appropriate. A floor safe or something similar is a good idea if you carry much jewelry or valuables. Or a gun.

Your belongings are covered under the Personal Property portion of the RV insurance policy. The typical policy is for only about $2000 and that is rarely enough, since it has to cover anything and every you bring with you or add to the coach. For example, the tow bar for a toad is "personal property", as would be a coach bra, sun screens, maybe even the awning if it is not factory standard.  It usually costs only a few dollars to substantially increase the value of that coverage.

If you have a fixed home in addition to the RV, your homeowners insurance will have a clause that covers Personal Property away from home, e.g. your camera, computer, cell phone and clothing. Losses to your property that happens to be aboard the RV is also covered, as long as it is something that is portable personal goods.

Hi, All,

I am extremely interested in this thread...and especially to hear from folks who have had security systems installed in their RV.  I have sold my house, am about to buy a fifth wheel and have every intention of asking the Brinks/ Broadview folks install a good alarm system in my RV.  I'm also ordering a multi-camera DVD recording system, to place in various windows of the fifth wheel.

Over the years, I've had multiple vehicles broken into (all saved by good alarm systems), an apartment broken into, and have been personally threatened with deadly weapons more than once. 
:eek:

It's just me, but my own experiences point to preparedness.

Robt.

Don't get carried away with the security stuff because your RV can be opened by a child with a can opener anyway. A simple system will be as good as the best.

Your best protection is to motor away from crime-prone areas.

Hey!  ..that's what they said when I bought a softtop Jeep..and loaded it with pricy wheels and sound!

"Anyone with a pocket knife can break into it."

Of course, the motion sensing radar in my high-end Clifford alarm system was what saved my Jeep and stereo when the dreaded "Day of the Pocket Knife" inevitably came (twice) in the basement parking of my North Hollyweed apartment building.

;D

I'm all about the insurance and the alarms.

R

Mr_Toad said:
Hi, All,

I am extremely interested in this thread...and especially to hear from folks who have had security systems installed in their RV.  I have sold my house, am about to buy a fifth wheel and have every intention of asking the Brinks/ Broadview folks install a good alarm system in my RV.  I'm also ordering a multi-camera DVD recording system, to place in various windows of the fifth wheel.

Over the years, I've had multiple vehicles broken into (all saved by good alarm systems), an apartment broken into, and have been personally threatened with deadly weapons more than once. 
:eek:

It's just me, but my own experiences point to preparedness.

Robt.

The problem I've had with the alarms on high profile vehicles is that the wind sets them off about every 30 minutes.  I would have the motion portion of the alarm disabled, and get the glass breakage, and contacts for the doors and windows.  But the average high quality alarm with these features is about $1,000 installed. 

For less than $50 you can get a contact switch and put it between your battery and ignition, open it when you leave the coach and they won't be able to start it, unless they find where you hid the switch.  And then if they steal some of your stuff, you still have $950 to buy new stuff that you probably wanted anyway.

We have never had concerns about personal security when using our RV. We follow the same rules as at home. I have complete insurance coverage and for personal safety we are more dangerous to any attacker than they are to us. I do not go into detail about this.

The only losses from theft, involving our RV, has been the theft of the holding tanks drain hose kits that were stolen from our RV one night in an RV Park. I have always added locks to the RV storeage compartment doors (to those doors not equiped with locks by the Manufacturer) as a precaution.

The small door on our Montana that encloses the three pull-cables to empty the holding tanks, and also encloses the hose kit did not have a lock when new. It does now, after our Rhino Sanitation drain kit was stolen one night. When new I added locks to the propane compartment doors (the other doors came with locks installed) I never thought that anyone would steal sanitation kit hoses and fittings. Now I know so I added a lock there too.

I believe it's illegal to lock a propane compartment door.  There has to be full time access to the shutoff valve for emergencies, like a fire.

Ned said:
I believe it's illegal to lock a propane compartment door.  There has to be full time access to the shutoff valve for emergencies, like a fire.

Yes, Gary told me that after I had bought a small lock kit, but had not drilled the hole in the door yet.  A simple call confirmed it (at least here in Texas), and Ace Hardware took it back.

Rancher Will said:
....our Rhino Sanitation drain kit was stolen one night. When new I added locks to the propane compartment doors (the other doors came with locks installed) I never thought that anyone would steal sanitation kit hoses and fittings.

Folks are stealing your sewer hoses? 

YOW! 

(Of course, when I lived in Los Angeles, ANYTHING not secured at night would gone by morning...including the cheap paper towels and squeegees at gas stations.)

Well...I just ordered one of those fancy new smooth sided sewer hoses, at 140 dollars for the kit, so I guess I should figure a way to attach a cable lock to that.

Robt.

Yes, I undersand that in some areas (states) it is illegal to lock the propane doors.

It is also illegal to steal propane tanks. I know of two instances where RVers lost propane tanks while parked overnight.

I you really want to investigate, you will find that almost everything is illegal somewhere, about anything. I know as a now retired LEO. All laws are written to control people. I have always believed that it is always a choice to be made by anyone. Decide what is the greater risk.

In my years as an LEO I was on the scene of three home fires (wild fires) that involved propane tanks. These were large tanks and the valves were open as normal for such tanks during the fire. Yes, propane will burn in a fire but the tanks did not explode. The homes were destroyed in the wild fires. They were destroyed the same as any of the homes without propane tanks.

I noticed that in the fires that I observed the fact that propane was present had no observable effect that the fire fighters could or could not control with or without the propane. The fires destroyed the home and the propane did not explode. The homes were destroyed just as other fires where propane was not present.

I have also observe RV's after a fire (five that I recall in our area) and talked to the owners. I notice that an RV burns fast and usually thoroughly. I doubt that the Propane tanks in an RV fire will make any difference. In a fire your RV will be destroyed, quickly, with or without propane, and you will not likely have any time to turn off the propane valves. Just get out, get away and keep others away. Your fire will be over by the time the fire department gets there. During the years as an LEO, talking to the RV owners who lost their RV in a fire, they all were amazed how fast the fire destroyed their RV. It was gone in minutes. None of the propane tanks exploded and none of the victims even thought about shutting off the propane. They were thinking only about getting and keeping clear.

Gary RV Roamer said:
If you have a fixed home in addition to the RV, your homeowners insurance will have a clause that covers Personal Property away from home, e.g. your camera, computer, cell phone and clothing. Losses to your property that happens to be aboard the RV is also covered, as long as it is something that is portable personal goods.

Most homeowners policies cover personal property away from the primary residence.  However, there are exclusions, dollar limitations and other-insurance clauses which you need to be aware of.  For example, my homeowners policy covers my personal property anywhere in the world.  But it has a $1,000 dollar limitation for trailers.  It also excludes loss by theft of personal property from my trailer when I'm traveling.  So I need a specific policy for that.         

Homeowners policies are not standardized.  They vary by company and by state.  You really need to discuss coverage with your agent or company. 

Good point. Theer is a lot of variety in clauses and state-to-state differences are many. You have to read the fine print yourself unless you have an unusually thorough agent who will explain what you need to know rather than just give glib answers to general questions.

For me on insurance I went to a full timers insurance policy as it gave me higher Liability and bigger coverage and cost less than a standard policy you would get for just a trailer. As for security just watch where you stay and be care full. Always keep eyes open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom