Northcentral US with the Stocks 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oct. 23 Day 62 Galloway, Ohio (12 miles from Columbus)

I have been a fan of Jack Hanna's "Animal Adventures", so the zoo was my #1 destination in Columbus (actually Powell, Ohio).  The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium has half-price Senior Day every Tuesday @ $11/both of us.  What a nice surprise!  Parking was $7.  I had high expectations, but they far exceeded them.  The animals are happy and have good-sized enclosures.  One big aim of the zoo is education.  Most of what they taught, I knew.  But one sign did intensify my desire to encourage our government to work on global warming.  It said, "An Arctic without ice would be like a garden without soil."

We've seen many wolves, but not the Mexican wolf.    By the 1970's, all Mexican wolves had been eliminated in the U. S.  They are trying to do captive breeding so they can be reintroduced to the wild.  (Picture 1)  They released some Mexican wolves in eastern Arizona.  The gray wolf (Picture 2) has been the notorious villain (think "Little Red Riding Hood") in movies and stories.  He's actually very smart and sociable and is wary of humans.

Many states (Minnesota, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and Wisconsin are the ones I remember) are increasing the hunting of wolves.  The main advocates are hunters who see it as sport and ranchers whose livestock is killed by wolves.  However, there is a fund that Dean and I contribute to, that reimburses ranchers for any wolf kills.  There has never been a documented case of a human being killed by a wolf. 

We met a lovely docent, a retired special education junior high school teacher, in the aviary.  The zoo requires docents to undergo 18 months of training before they are  allowed to work.  She told us about the red-headed duck (Picture 3) who lays her eggs in nests of other ducks.  These drakes purr and meow!  The females squawk.  She helped me identify the red-breasted grosbeak (Pic. 4)

Can you see the white triangle on this bobcat's ear? (Picture 5 )  The females have that white patch so that her kittens can find her despite her camouflaged coat.  A group of bobcat kittens is a kindle.

The tufted deer (Picture 6) was new to us.  He looks like he is having a bad hair day with an unkempt tuft of hair on the top of his head.  They are found in Burma.

The red-crowned crane (Picture 7) is the second rarest crane.  They mate for life.  .Zoos are working together and sending eggs to a reserve in Russia for hatching and tracking.

The golden mantled flying fox (bats) were my favorite exhibit. (Pictures  8 & 9)  Bats are the only mammal that can truly fly.  The goldens are one of the smallest fruit bats, but they are 10 times bigger than any bats I've seen before.  The keepers were working with them, prying them off the wires and giving them shots or swabbing tears in their wings so they don't get infected.  Afterwards, they hung celery to reward them.  Their feet have 5 long toes, and the "hands" are hooks.

Attachments

• IMG_9056.jpg
    IMG_9056.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9059.jpg
    IMG_9059.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9074.jpg
    IMG_9074.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9082.jpg
    IMG_9082.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9096.jpg
    IMG_9096.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9107.jpg
    IMG_9107.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9110.jpg
    IMG_9110.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9125.jpg
    IMG_9125.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9134.jpg
    IMG_9134.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 7
Oct. 23 continued

I've always associated rhinos with charging.  But, this white rhino (Picture 10) fascinated us, as he yearned to have his mouth massaged, inside and out!  He wanted to have his hide scratched and massaged.  He had a ton of personality.

It was a pleasure to see the red pandas up and about. (Picture  ) Usually they are just a sleeping ball of fur.  Today they were chasing each other and playing.  The one on the right in Picture was blockading the path for his buddy.  When the left one turned around and left, it ruined his game, so the one on the right got up and left.  Look at those claws.

The markhor (Picture 11) is the largest goat.  In Persian, Markhor means "snake eater," which is really a puzzle because he is a vegetarian.

I think the Amur tiger is the most beautiful tiger.  These cubs (Picture 13) are best buddies for now.  The adult male and 2 females had been moved our for a few hours so these guys could have outside time.  Tigers are solitary.  These cubs were removed from the mother at two weeks of age when one of the cubs wasn't thriving, and they wanted to keep the sibs together.  Unlike lions who enjoy being part of the pride, tigers only come together to mate.  The docent told us that the mother would not recognize her own cubs!

I loved the manatee exhibit.  They have 4 rescued manatees (Picture 14) who are unable to return to the wild.  We enjoyed watching them eat lettuce.

The carousel (Picture 15) brought back great childhood memories of fun with my grandfather.  It was beautiful, and original, but it was missing the rings that we used to lean out and try to get.  If we got a brass ring, we got to ride again for free.  It's probably an insurance issue.  However, I did notice that there aren't any belts to strap children in, like on our carousel at Knott's Berry Farm.  It's one of only 200 of this vintage in the US.

This is only the second time we've seen the Fishing Cat (Picture 16).  They eat fish, birds, small mammals, snakes, and snails--all of the food groups!  Doesn't he have beautiful eyes?

They have the best exhibit I've seen of nocturnal animals, including the zoo in New Zealand that prides itself on having "the best."  The light was dim, but not dark, and the animals were active. (Picture  17)  The tiger quoll, the largest marsupial carnivore, is now rare in southeastern Australia. (Picture 18 )  The feather tail glider (Picture 19 ) is the size of a mouse and flits constantly.  The exhibit was a blur of activity.  This isn't his best side, but it is the best picture of many shot.  Congratulations to Dean on getting this one!

Attachments

• IMG_9136.jpg
    IMG_9136.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9140.jpg
    IMG_9140.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9156.jpg
    IMG_9156.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9158.jpg
    IMG_9158.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9163.jpg
    IMG_9163.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9167.jpg
    IMG_9167.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9171.jpg
    IMG_9171.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9173.jpg
    IMG_9173.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9175.jpg
    IMG_9175.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9177.jpg
    IMG_9177.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 13
October 23 continued

We really enjoyed the next aviary area.  The kookaburra (Picture 20) is the largest kingfisher.  Picture 21 is a UFO.  The magpie goose (Picture 22) is regal.  I couldn't believe the docent when she told me that Picture 23 is a ruddy duck because he didn't have a blue bill.  She says these are his winter colors.  Not only do his feathers change, but also his beak.  Picture 24 is the masked ibis.  His wing feathers sparkle.  The lapwing in Picture 25 shook those yellow flaps from side to side, reminding me of a turkey.  The metallic starling (Picture 26) has piercing red eyes.

Is this kangaroo saying, "What are you looking at?" (Picture 27)

The white-handed gibbon (Picture 28) constantly explored.  He has a white frame around his black face.

We were surprised to see the small-clawed otters (Picture 29) playing on the rocks and lifting them, perhaps looking for insects.  They had a pool of water and a waterfall, but they stayed on land the whole time we were there (maybe 5 minutes).

Attachments

• IMG_9180.jpg
    IMG_9180.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9182.jpg
    IMG_9182.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9188.jpg
    IMG_9188.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9190.jpg
    IMG_9190.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9191.jpg
    IMG_9191.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9197.jpg
    IMG_9197.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9201.jpg
    IMG_9201.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9209.jpg
    IMG_9209.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9213.jpg
    IMG_9213.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9218.jpg
    IMG_9218.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 10
We saw people on TV the other night talking about the U.S. bats and how the white nose fungus is continuing its spread to the west.  I hope someone has the foresight to gather up some uninfected bats that are farther west and ship them to another continent where they can keep breeding and, hopefully, avoid getting infected.  In a few years we may need a gene pool to regenerate our bat population because the current one sure is getting decimated.

More good photos, Dean!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
We saw people on TV the other night talking about the U.S. bats and how the white nose fungus is continuing its spread to the west.  I hope someone has the foresight to gather up some uninfected bats that are farther west and ship them to another continent where they can keep breeding and, hopefully, avoid getting infected.  In a few years we may need a gene pool to regenerate our bat population because the current one sure is getting decimated.

More good photos, Dean!

ArdraF

These zoos have an incredible world-wide network, and I'm sure they're on it.  I had heard that the situation was improving a lot, so I hope the documentary you saw was a re-run.  We saw a display somewhere on this trip at a national park, I think in Minnesota, about the problem and how when man works together, we can conquer these environmental problems.

We went into a national cave site on our last trip and they wouldn't let us enter if we were wearing the same shoes, coats, clothes.  We had to go back the next day.  Dean cleaned his camera, strap, etc. meticulously with alcohol swabs.  The problem is the private caves that don't have any safeguards  .I'll keep my eyes open for more info.

Oct. 23 continued--delayed because it didn't "take" the first 2 times

The white-handed gibbon (Picture 28) constantly explored.  He has a white frame around his black face.

We were surprised to see the small-clawed otters (Picture 29) playing on the rocks and lifting them, perhaps looking for insects.  They had a pool of water and a waterfall, but they stayed on land the whole time we were there (maybe 5 minutes).

The brown bear (Picture 30) was as curious about us as we were about him.  He came very close to the glass.  The polar bear (Picture 31) should have been out of his element on the grass.  He had a nice pool of water, but he really liked this tree.

I believe this is an East African crowned crane (Picture 32).  He has a varied diet of grass, seed, insects, invertebrates and small vertebrates, and soybeans.  His cousin, the West African crowned crane (Picture 33) seems to know that he is handsome.

We met several keepers as we toured the 3 continents.  They shared lots of information with us and were all so proud of their zoo.  They feel they are the #1 zoo.  It's hard to compare, but they do meet the basic requirement of having a moose (Picture 34).  We would say that, like cream, they are at the tiptop, along with the Doorly and San Diego Zoos. 

I am at La Quinta.  Dean and Sherlock are at Alton RV Park-

October 29 Day 68 Springfield, IL

We travelled 210 miles from Indianapolis.  We were ready to fill our gas tank, but we weren't able to get the $3.85/gallon price advertised at Pilot.  They wanted $4.14 for "car diesel."  We tried another station and found the same thing, so we decided to try in Illinois.  The first place we stopped had the same 30 cent surcharge because we didn't have a DOT license.  But, the second place did give us the same lower price as truckers.

Staying at Springfield State Fair Campground, $20 ($5 less for being seniors), 50 amps & water, all blacktop

October 30 Day 69 Springfield, IL

I've had abdominal pain for 4 days, and it wasn't getting better.  I've learned to be proactive and not wait for things to develop.  We went to the Express Care associated with Memorial Hospital.  They were very knowledgeable, efficient, speedy, and caring.  They wanted to do a CAT scan, but they didn't have a machine, so they sent me to the ER.  I spent about 6 hrs. there.  It turned out to be something weird that I hadn't heard of before called appendices epipliocae, painful but not serious.  The doctor prescribed Tylenol, and I'm feeling much better after the first dose.  The medical personnel were wonderful.  The doc even recommended that we go to Lincoln's New Salem, googled it on the computer, and printed it out so we would have all the info.  Amazing!

Staying at Springfield State Fair Campground, $20, 50 amps & water

Wendy said:
Hope you're doing better. Is it about time to head for home?

Thanks.  I am doing much better.  The only reason I wrote of my experience is so if anyone is visiting Springfield and needs a doctor or hospital, Memorial and their Express clinics get an A+ from me.  When people write of their repairs or other unusual places, I make notes in my "States" files on my computer so if it happens to me, I have some basis for deciding where to go. 

We'll be home by Thanksgiving (I've actually planned for 3 days earlier).  But we are going south with each move, and it should get warmer and warmer.

October 27 Day 66 Indianapolis, IN

55,000 attractive teenager dressed in blue jackets and pants (boys) or skirts (girls) are everywhere in Indianapolis.  They are members of an organization formerly known as the Future Farmers of America and are here for their annual convention.  Do you know what their new name is and why?  Answer will be at the end.  They have come here the last 3 years, and they will come to Louisville, KY, for the next 4 years.  Quite an economic boost! 

Our Capitol (State House) tour group included 2 female conventioneers from Minnesota--the only girls we saw with any sense--they were wearing long pants.  The weather is low 40's with strong winds.

Settlers came to Indiana to farm along the Ohio River.  They built a temporary capitol in Corydon in 1816.  It was a 40' (yes, forty!) square limestone building.  It housed both houses and the supreme court!

This Capitol (Picture 1) was built in Indianapolis in 1888. It stood in the middle of a forest.  They named their new city Indianapolis because "polis" means city, so it was "city of Indiana."  Indiana meant "land of Indians."  They figured that with a name like that, no one would have to ask where it is.  It is the longest capital name--6-syllables.  The land was given to the state by the federal government in 1877.  It took 10 years to build.  Its location was chosen because it was in the exact middle of the state--more centered than any other state capitol.  Apologies--Our tour was short, so pictures aren't as good and people interfered with focus often.

The capitol is built of Indiana limestone, as is the Empire State Building, the Pentagon, and 1/2 of the college buildings in the United States.  It has marble from Vermont and granite from Maine.

The legislature is composed of the House of Representatives and Senate.  We only got to see the House (Picture 2).  Legislators worked from January-April this year.  There are 100 seats.  Currently there are 60 Republicans and 40 Democrats. They receive $23,000 per year + benefits. They vote electronically.  The governor has the weakest veto in the U.S.  Only a simple majority is needed to over-ride his veto! 54% of their budget is spent on education.

Our guide, Jim, was a volunteer, and he was very interesting. (Picture 3)  He explained that the state seal was important and  is situated above the Speaker's chair, as well as being on every doorknob in the building and on every legislator's chair.  The seal honors the "forest buffalo" who created the first roads through the woods.  Indiana was 85% forest before settlers chopped down all the white oak and Indiana walnut trees to create farms.  The Ohio River was the liquid interstate.

There is a mural, "The Spirit of Indiana," above the chair, also; it was added in the 1950's.  It shows Miss Indiana stepping into statehood with the Governor Wm. Henry Harrison helping her.  She is surrounded by goddesses, including Ceres, the goddess of agriculture.

Indiana has the oldest Supreme Court in the United States (Picture 4) still operating at their original capitol.  Everything is original to 1888, as well as the 23K gold-leaf.  Hearings are streamed on-line.  The appellate has 20 minutes to present their case, as does the appellee. They have 3 hearings before lunch.  The pretty stained glass windows have owl eyes looking down to help the Supreme Court make wise decisions (Picture 5).  The governor appoints the justices for 2 years.  Then the voters get to vote aye or nay on giving the justice an additional 10 years.  They have to stand for election every 10 years thereafter.  Voters have never voted "nay" on any supreme court justice.

The outer dome is 235' high.  The stained glass "crown" of the inner dome is 105' up.  In the rotunda, there are 8 white Carrera marble 9-foot tall columns showing the values of Indiana. The whole capitol is all about natural light.  In addition to the light from the dome, there are lots of large skylights, and the offices have huge windows.

There are 20 bronze busts, but I liked the one of Col. Richard Owen.  Most busts are just a head and neck, but his has a collar, a jacket, and a cape.  He ran a POW camp during the Civil War.  Camp Morton held 3,000-4,000 prisoners.  Col. Owen was a true humanitarian.  He let clergy come in and visit with the prisoners.  He made sure they had good food and warm clothes.  Then he was re-assigned and sent into battle.  He was captured.  The captain of the POW camp found out who he was, and he gave him a horse and a gun to be able to go home.  He became a professor of geology at Indiana University.  He became the first president of Purdue.  Forty years after the Civil War, Confederate soldiers decided to collect donations to erect a plaque.  They got so much money, they decided to buy a whole bust.  That bust cost $5000 a hundred years ago!

The bust is right outside the office of the current governor, Mitch Daniels.  He has served two 4-year terms.  He is going to be president of Purdue University when he leaves, just like Col. Owen. His legacy is that he set aside land for forests and wetlands.

The lieutenant governor is in charge of economic development, agriculture, and tourism.  Outside her office is this big pig (Picture 7) symbolizing the pork industry.

The flag (Picture 8)  has a central torch of enlightenment which stands for education and 19 stars showing that Indiana is the 19th state admitted to the Union.

Answer:  They are now known as the National FFA Organization.  Why?  They now encompass all activities that involve the land.  Two girls we met had been at a forestry seminar earlier.  They also had exhibitors teaching about equine dentistry, greenhouses, and aquaculture.

This is a very pretty capitol.  I'm sorry we didn't capture more of it with our camera.'

Staying at Lake Haven Retreat-

Attachments

• IMG_9257.jpg
    IMG_9257.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9260.jpg
    IMG_9260.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9265.jpg
    IMG_9265.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9266.jpg
    IMG_9266.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9267.jpg
    IMG_9267.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9268.jpg
    IMG_9268.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9270.jpg
    IMG_9270.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9271.jpg
    IMG_9271.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 7
October 31 Day 70 Springfield, IL

We've titled the Capitol in Springfield, "The Most Decorative Capitol."  When we entered the lobby, I had a feeling of awe as I looked up at the beautiful dome.  I had high expectations.  We got there about 5 minutes before the tour.  The tour guide was a few minutes late, which matters when the whole tour is only 30 minutes, and she has to be back to cover the Information Desk promptly at 12:00.  She was a walking tape recorder spitting out facts.  We can always tell when the guide is a paid state employee instead of a docent.  She repeatedly told us that all the information was on the brochure we'd receive.  However, it was just a one-page foldout which was primarily a map and a list of offices on each floor, one of the worst we've received.  The information I have comes from several other sources, too, including a teacher on a field trip, a Capitol electrician, and a Capitol restorer.

Illinois has had six Capitol Buildings--one in Kaskaskia, three in Vandalia, and two in Springfield.  The  current Capitol was built in 1868 and cost $4.3 million.  The design is in the shape of a Greek cross.  The 17-foot-thick outer walls are limestone from Illinois.  French artisans were brought in to do the work because they worked so cheaply.

The legislature is composed of the House of Representatives and Senate.  They work 65 days each year.  They start work at the beginning of January and earn $75,000-$100,000 + $135 per diem.  Sometimes a "day" may only be from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM.

We saw the House from the gallery.  There are 118 members of the House.  Currently, 64 members are Democrats, and 54 members are Republican.  The replica chandeliers (Picture 1) were exquisite.  Five years ago they motorized the chandeliers so they n (Picture 2) o longer have to hand crank them down to clean them.  The ceiling was really ornate.  The letters in this part of the ceiling said "U" and "upside down S".  The guide kept telling us that the capitol was full of symbolism, but she didn't seem to know what the symbols were or what they meant.

The Senate (Picture 3) has 59 members, 35 Democrats and 24 Republican.  Both houses use voting boards.  However, the Senate board (Picture 4)  has a feature we haven't seen in any other capitols.  When the senator speaks, his name appears electronically on the board, as does his picture in real time.  The ceilings were very fancy. (Picture 5)  The replica chandeliers (Picture 6) were gorgeous and are hand-cranked.  The desks are new.

The legislature was having big problems with plaster falling off the ceiling.  They had hung nets across the ceiling to catch the falling plaster, lest it hit the legislators.  In 1980, they completely gutted both chambers--even the floor was torn out.  They basically kept to the original plan, but they added flourishes and ideas that they had gleaned from other capitols.  They have totally closed the West Wing for remodeling.  It is where all the legislators' offices were.  They have slowed down the pace because of budgetary concerns.

The inner dome (Picture 7), composed of  9,000 mosaic tiles, has an eagle in the center and the state seal..  Springfield is the tallest domed capitol.  When the Capitol first opened, the dome was lit with 144 gas jets.  The carbon emitted from that and people smoking cigars turned the dome black and the pictures were invisible.  It was cleaned in a 2-year restoration in 1985-1986, and is sparkling now.  There is a border relief made of plaster to look like bronze (Pictures 8 & 9).  The scenes represented the important industries of Illinois and historical events.  The rotunda has 8 statues of important people (Picture 10).  I was surprised to see how short Stephen Douglas was. (Picture 11)

There is a Hall of Governors, with a portrait of each governor except Rod Blagojevich.  After he was impeached, the state refused to pay for his portrait, and he didn't choose to pay for it, either.

The Supreme Court has a beautiful ceiling and lights (Picture 12).  Lady Justice is trampling coins to show that justice can't be bought (Picture 13).  Slavery was a frequent issue in the Supreme Court.  They had to decide whether enslaved blacks that were brought to Illinois to raise crops were still slaves, or did they become free by their resident in a "free" state?  They tried to make their rulings harmonize state law with federal law.  During the Civil War, they had two important cases that rose from the battle between abolitionist Governor Richard Yates and the General Assembly, who didn't want to support the soldiers that Illinois had sent to the Union.

The Supreme Court room is currently used as a committee room.  They have overflow crowds when Bo Derek appears annually to protest horse slaughtering.

The state seal appears on all the doorknobs and on the governor's ceremonial office where he signs bills into law (Picture 13).  His real working office is in Chicago.

Memorabilia that was actually on the Challenger when it exploded was displayed. (Picture 14)

We followed a "special" tour group into an off-limits Committee Room.  It is the only example we've seen of a half-room.  (Picture 15) Many of the capitols doubled their floor space as their states grew by splitting rooms in half height-wise.  Then, when they have remodeled in the 1980's, they have taken out these extra floors to get back the feeling of grandeur.  The best way to see it is by the half-window on the right side of the picture.  The lower half is the office below.

This capitol is very large.  It is really glitzy and bright.  It deserves to have an enthusiastic, energetic tour guide, or a good pamphlet.

Attachments

• IMG_9365.jpg
    IMG_9365.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9322.jpg
    IMG_9322.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9324.jpg
    IMG_9324.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9327.jpg
    IMG_9327.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9329.jpg
    IMG_9329.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9330.jpg
    IMG_9330.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9332.jpg
    IMG_9332.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9334.jpg
    IMG_9334.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9337.jpg
    IMG_9337.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9341.jpg
    IMG_9341.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9354.jpg
    IMG_9354.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9346.jpg
    IMG_9346.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 4
What beautiful detail in the Illinois State Capitol.  I'm with you, Linda, I always regret it when I'm led by someone who is less than enthusiastic.  We encountered someone like that at a cave.  It wasn't a spectacular cave, but there were some very nice parts and they deserved a better explanation than the teenager who was bored out of his mind in "just a job."

ArdraF

October 31 continued

We had a busy day.  We parked near the "Old Capitol" and found ourselves right in front of the Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices Historic Site. (Picture 1) It's the front half of the original 40-foot-long building that they have furnished with period pieces that Lincoln might have had.  They know the flooring is original or nearly so because it has wooden square-headed nails.  Our guide was excellent.

Lincoln started as a junior partner with Logan.  Lincoln worked and studied on his own, had no college, and passed the Bar exam.  Logan got elected as a U. S. representative after one year. Herndon, his junior law clerk, partnered with him for 16 years, and he said he would never have any other partner as long as Lincoln was alive.  They got paid in cash for each case and split everything evenly.  Mary hated Herndon.  Abe used to take his boys to the office and they really ran amok--spilling ink, tossing around papers, etc.

They practiced all kinds of law, including federal cases but they weren't at all famous.  The federal court was one floor below them in the same building.  They worked for whoever paid them.  He handled primarily bankruptcy and interstate commerce cases.  They argued 250 cases in the state supreme court.  Abe argued one case in the U S Supreme Court and lost it. Lincoln represented slave-owners and helped send slaves back to the South.  He represented slaves and helped them win their freedom  He represented Illinois Central Railroad, and he won a very valuable right-of-way for them.  He sued them when they refused to pay the $2000 tab.  The court ruled they had to pay him $5000.  If a couple divorced, all the woman would ever get was the dowry she brought into the marriage.  If the husband died, the couple's estate all went to the children.

Any man in Illinois could say, "My wife is crazy," and without any investigation, they would lock her up in an insane asylum.  Mary really did go crazy.  She suffered through the deaths of 3 of her 4 children, as well as her husband.  She endured horrible ridicule as a country bumpkin from the socialites when she was in Washington, D. C.  Her son, Robert, went through a required hearing because he was only her son, not her husband, and had her committed.  In Kentucky, it required no hearing at all.

He pled a case where ranchers sent hogs to be butchered and they yielded 100,000 pounds of bacon, and the packing house wouldn't pay them.  He worked for 6 months on that case and got paid $25!  His rent on his office was $4 per month.

There was a tiny post office on the bottom floor.  Postage depended on how far the mail had to go (Picture 2).  People wrote on both sides of the paper and both vertically and horizontally because 4 pieces of paper would cost quadruple. (Picture 3)

When Lincoln ran for office, candidates couldn't campaign for themselves--it was considered improper.  His friends and supporters had to do the campaigning because the office should seek the man rather than the man seeking the office.  He just did his regular work from this office, argued in debates, and shook hands.

When Abe was assassinated, he spent 2 weeks on a train, being off-loaded at 10 stops where he lay in state for people to pay their respects and being viewed on the train at two others.  Lincoln was very well thought of in Springfield.  When he had his final funeral in Springfield, there were 100,000 people waiting outside in a town whose population was only 16,000.

We went across a parkway to the "Old State Capitol."  When the capitol was moved to the new site, it became the Sagamon County Courthouse.  When they moved, it went through a series of governmental and private ownerships before it was bought and restored.

The furniture, lamps, wallpaper, and decorations were long gone.  They re-constructed the stairs (Picture 4) and rooms based on historical records and pictures.  It has been furnished with period pieces from the 1840's and 1850's that are similar to what would have likely been there.

The House of Representatives would have been really crowded (Picture 5).  Lincoln launched his 1858 Senate campaign against Stephen Douglas with his famous "House Divided" speech in Representatives Hall.  Lincoln's remains were displayed in this exact chamber as 75,000 mourners (some say 100,000) passed by to pay respects.

The secretary of state's office had an antiquated filing system. (Picture 6)  Each little box had several records, and each record was wrapped on a red ribbon or red tape (Picture 7).  That's where we get the saying, "cutting governmental red tape."  The state seal was sitting there, and we talked our guide into stamping a piece of paper from my notebook (Picture 8).  Imagine her embarrassment when it came out with a stamp for a fraternal order with clasped hands from MISSISSIPPI! 

The governor's office (Picture 9) was about the size of my kids' bedrooms.  The Superintendent of Public Instruction had a similar office next door.  The governor would come to work and find a huge pile of commissions for army officers waiting for his signature. (He was really encouraging Illinois citizens to sign up for service in the Civil War.)  When each one was signed, he would lay it on the floor to dry.  Sometimes the entire floor would be covered with the parchments.  He used a quill pen and put on plenty of ink, making his signature a striking one.  The superintendent of instruction gave the governor his office so he'd have more room to lay out the commissions to dry.

The Senate had slightly more room. (Picture 10)

Seeing both capitols in the same day was amazing because the first capitol was so small and bare, and the new capitol is huge (just the part we saw--the whole West Wing is shut down for reconstruction).  However, I felt the "people's work" was done more effectively in the smaller, older capitol building.

Attachments

• IMG_9373.jpg
    IMG_9373.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9376.jpg
    IMG_9376.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9377.jpg
    IMG_9377.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9378.jpg
    IMG_9378.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9380.jpg
    IMG_9380.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9382.jpg
    IMG_9382.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9381.jpg
    IMG_9381.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9383.jpg
    IMG_9383.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9393.jpg
    IMG_9393.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9405.jpg
    IMG_9405.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 6
Nov. 1 Day 71 Springfield, IL

I had heard that Lincoln's Presidential Museum was spectacular so I saved it for our last experience in Springfield.  We had to park a block away at a parking garage and pay 75 cents per HALF-HOUR up to $9.75 total.

We paid $18 admission fee.  We were only allowed to take pictures in the foyer. (Picture 1 in front of the White House.)  In the background you can see some of the spectacular dresses worn by "society ladies" of that time, including General McClellan's wife, Lincoln's VP's wife, and Mary Todd Lincoln.

We went to the two 3-D presentations first, avoiding field trip students who would be arriving in an hour.

First we visited a replica of Lincoln's boyhood home (Picture 2).  Lincoln only had one year of formal schooling.  His mother died when he was nine, leaving a tremendous void in his life.  His father re-married, and his step-mother adored him.  His first girlfriend died, probably of typhoid.  His second love, Mary, broke their engagement.

Lincoln kept studying, passed the bar, and partnered with a man named Stuart.  After one year, Stuart won a Congressional seat.  His rival was Stephen Douglas.  In those days, they didn't put addresses on homes.  Everyone knew where everyone lived, and they merely put up nameplates.  After establishing himself, he met and married a Southern lady, Mary Todd.  She was terrified of gas lighting and insisted on only using candles until they went to Washington, D. C. in 1861.  Over a 20-year period, he made bi-annual 2.5 month trips around the 8th Judicial Circuit, covering 14 counties and 10,000 square miles by horse, later buggy, and even later by trains.

Stephen Douglas authored the Kansas-Nebraska Act which permitted slavery to expand into future territories.  The Dred Scott decision by the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that Negroes were mere property, without rights as a human being under the Constitution.  Lincoln saw "no intelligible reason" for the Dred Scott decision.  Lincoln ran against Stephen Douglas.  Lincoln believed that slavery was wrong and should be put on a road to gradual extinction.  Douglas was for "popular sovereignty," letting each territory decide for themselves by voting.  Lincoln lost the election to the Senate to Douglas, but he became a dark horse candidate for the presidency in 1860.

Records here show that Lincoln argued 9 state supreme court cases.  Lincoln and Herndon argued 330 state supreme court cases, among the most of any firm. (They said 250 at the Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices Historic Site.)  The lady at the Law Offices stressed that Lincoln was so fair, in sharing all fees 50-50.  It seems to me that Herndon did a lot more work, and it wasn't fair at all!

Lincoln served in the state House of Representatives in 1836, 1838, and 1840.  Lincoln was a Whig, and in 1843, he lost the Whig nomination for the race for U. S. Representative.  In 1846, he won a seat in the U. S. House of Representatives.  In 1855, he lost his bid for a Senate seat.  In 1856, he helped launch the Republican party and los the nomination for U. S. vice-president. In 1858, he lost the Senate race to Stephen Douglas.  In 1859, he toured the Midwest giving speeches.  Lincoln was clean-shaven until November, 1860.  He was the United State's first bearded president.

An excellent video with my idol, Tim Russert, as its moderator, showed the presidential election as if they had TV in 1860.  There was a 4-way presidential race.  The Republicans were kept off the ballot in the South.  Lincoln's theme was "Union."  He said, "A house divided by itself cannot stand."  John Breckenridge, the states' rights advocate, said slaves were property and split the Democratic party with Steven Douglas.  Stephen  Douglas  continued his theme of popular sovereignty--let the people vote their conscience regarding slavery.  John Bell, the pro-slavery Democrat, wanted to split the electoral college vote so no one would have a majority and the vote would go to the House of Representatives, where had many friends.  Lincoln got only 40% of the popular vote, but he won the electoral college by a large margin: 180 votes for Lincoln, 72 for Breckenridge, 39 for Bell, and 12 for Douglas, who got the most popular votes.

The museum had a room where they displayed all the cruel political cartoons. They depicted Lincoln as various animals, the devil, a child, and a joker. People's voices on tape were played saying what people said back then.  The personal attacks on both Abe and Mary were viscious.  Abe was criticized for being too Western and not refined.  A group formed the CSA, not the Confederate States of America, but the Can't Stand Abe.  In his first year of presidency, Lincoln was criticized as a "crude, country lawyer" and "That face alone could get him hanged."  They called him names, like the "original gorilla."  He was criticized as "stumbling around as a drunken man under intoxication of his new position."  Mary was criticized for her appearance and dress.  Mary was criticized for redecorating the White House and buying new china.  They started rumors that she was sneaking around with the gardener.  Lincoln had included his enemies in his cabinet, so these mean people and their snooty wives were their constant companions.  Mary was actually a strong-minded and educated woman who often flew in the face of the expected womanly norm.  There was such animosity that Lincoln entered D. C. without pomp.  They went on and on about how he "sneaked" into D.C.  I was very upset when I left that room.  Mary's only real friend was the black woman who helped her in the house. 

Willie, their son, died just two weeks after the presidential ball.  It hit Abe hard, but Mary was even  more devastated.  She gave away his clothes and toys.  She banished all his playmates from the White House.  She cancelled public concerts by the Marine Corps Band.  Mary stayed in bed for 3 weeks.  She attended seances and said she saw him every night.  Abe threatened her with being sent to an asylum if she didn't improve.  Willie died on a Thursday.  After that, Lincoln shut himself up every Thursday and vented his grief.

Two months later, Mary's half-brother was killed, fighting for the CSA.  She was accused of being a Confederate sympathizer throughout Abe's presidency, even though she often visited Union military hospitals, wrote letters to wounded soldiers, read to hospitalized soldiers, and brought them flowers and special meals.

During that summer, both depressed and sad, Abe wrote the Emancipation Proclamation freeing slaves in enemy territory.  Seward told him to wait until there was a Union victory.  He actually announced it after the Battle of Antietam.  He wanted to compensate slave-owners.  Chase, a long time abolitionist and member of his Cabinet, didn't think it went far enough.  He wanted to be president.  Attorney General Bates was against black equality.  He thought all Negroes would leave the United States and colonize Central America.  Secretary of the Interior Smith thought Negroes would all leave.  The Postmaster, a member of the Cabinet, didn't like the  Proclamation because he thought it was too radical and would drive border states like Kentucky into the CSA.  The Secretary of the Navy said Lincoln had the constitutional authority to free slaves in rebellious states.  Secretary of War Stanton was the only one to urge him to issue the Proclamation ASAP.  He wanted to use the Negro troops in the war.  Lincoln said his paramount objective was to save the Union and was not either to save or destroy slavery.  "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it.  And if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, i would also do that."  However, he said, "It is my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."  At the moment it was issued, it didn't free a single slave since it only applied to slaves behind enemy lines.

The museum had two hands-on replica bronze castings of Lincoln's face, one done in 1860 and another in 1865.  You could see how tired and aged he had become after so many years of conflict.  As the casualty figures mounted, he felt the full weight of war on his shoulders.  Every day, he went to the War Department Telegraph Office to get the casualty figures.  Grant's troops marching into Vicksburg simultaneously with the win at Gettysburg, PA crushed the Confederacy's hopes for foreign recognition.

Andrew Johnson of Tennessee was chosen by the Republican party as Lincoln's running mate in 1864 because he was the only Southern senator to remain loyal to the Union when the war began.

Lincoln signed the 13th amendment on February 1, 1965, giving slaves their freedom.  It was ratified by the required 3/4 states in December, 1865, after he was assassinated.

After his death, there was a funeral tour covering 1700 miles, with 12 major funeral processions.  The body was taken off the train, presented for viewing, and then loaded back onto the train over a period of 15 days.  He was seen by more people as a dead president than as a living candidate.

The National Lincoln Monument Association was formed to give him a great monument.  They built a monument.  In 1876, there was a bizarre body-snatching scheme to kidnap the corpse, hide it, and ransom it for money and the freedom of a master engraver who was residing at Joliet Penitentiary.  Providing security and maintenance was a pain, so in 1895 they turned the tomb over to the state.

After he died, his favorite son, Tad, died at around age 18.  Another son, Elliot, died as a child, so the only son who reached adulthood was Robert, who lived into his 70's.

My mood was somber as we left.  I felt like there was a lot of hard, righteous work in Lincoln's life, but little joy.

We went out to Oak Ridge Cemetery (free parking) to see Lincoln's Tomb (Picture 3).  Within a granite monument lie the remains of Abraham Lincoln, his wife Mary, and three of their sons.  The fourth son, Robert, is buried at Arlington.  It is the second most-visited cemetery in the U. S. Before we entered a small museum inside the tomb, Dean rubbed Lincoln's nose for good luck (Picture 4).  Inside the tomb's foyer is a miniature statue of the Lincoln Memorial (Picture 5).  There are several more miniatures of Lincoln statues  that are placed throughout the United States.  A docent was in the museum to answer questions.

Staying at Springfield State Fair Campground, ONLY $10 because our hosts have left and there is no guarantee of water, 50 amps & water

Attachments

• IMG_9406.jpg
    IMG_9406.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9407.jpg
    IMG_9407.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9409.jpg
    IMG_9409.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9411.jpg
    IMG_9411.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9412.jpg
    IMG_9412.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 7
Nov.2 Day 72 Kansas City, MO

We had a long day.  I had called Harrah's St. Louis two days ago to see if we could boondock there.  They said it was OK and gave me directions about where the RV lot was.  As we entered the drive, we saw the letters for HOLLYWOOD  being put up.  I called Harrah's, and the number was disconnected.  We'd eaten at a Hollywood Buffet before and it was not good.  We had no interest in playing in their casino, so we decided to push on another 260 miles to Kansas City.  The roads were good, so they were easy miles.  We ate at Harrah's Buffet, $22 each and it was good, but not worth $22.

Staying at Harrah's boondocking--good lighting, great security.

Nov. 3 Day 73 Topeka, KS

Today was a fiasco.  Dean had set our GPS to "AVOID TOLL ROADS".  We cost ourselves lots of time, miles, and gas, as well as going through a stressful ten miles of one-lane traffic on what should b e a 4-lane freeway.  Dean has faith in the GPS and always takes its advice over mine, so I've quit worrying about navigating.  I'm going to start mapping again and at least advise him.  He turned what should have been a one-hour drive into a 4.5 hour drive.

We'll see sights tomorrow.

Staying at Wal-mart.  Good parking.

Linda

If you get a chance go to the Brown versus board of Education exhibit while in Topeka.  It is well worth the trip.  We stayed at a wonderful county park while there with Terry and Betty (Lake Shawnee).  Hopefully the repairs are done at the capital, we did not get to see much of it when we were there in September.

Sheila

Linda,

As Illinois residents, we concur in your assessment regarding the toil of our 16th president, and the work that got done in those little office buildings in the 1800s. A long history of corruption controlled by the Chicago political machine has been our legacy since Lincoln. The buildings are bigger and so are the shady deals made in the back rooms.

We took our old coach, a 40 foot HR to Springfield, and parked right downtown, a block from the Lincoln museum. It was before we had the toad. We took up 3 parking spots, but it was a Sunday with little traffic, so we were undisturbed.

I'm looking forward to your narrative on Kansas City.

Stan

Back
Top Bottom