Northcentral US with the Stocks 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be willing to bet that most if not all of the families with children that were there that day were home-schooled.  My niece has home-schooled all three of their children and when they are playing or any thing they are very quiet and well behaved.  We have found that with other home-schooled children, too.  They have interaction with other children because they participate in a home-school band and at their church.

The Minnesota Zoo is a must when you are in the Twin Cities area and glad that you enjoyed it.  I will finish it the next time we are at Apple Valley because my family and I only did part of it when we were there. 

Como Zoo, in St Paul, was one of my favorites when my two granddaughters were younger.  We would go to the zoo first and if they were good we would go to the fun park next door and after that we would stop at the arboretum if they weren't to tired.  It is about 10 minutes from my daughter's home.  Yes, I agree the pens are too small but they are limited in space.  Como Park has wonderful, open air concerts in the summer which I have attended several with my brother and SIL.

The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is also a must see when in the area.  Glad that you enjoyed it.  I was there many years ago and even though I am not really into art I was with someone that was and it made a big difference in what I was viewing.

Thanks for your trip reports, I have really enjoyed them and it has given me some new places to take my granddaughters when in the Twin Cities.  When you were on the North Shore did you stop at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park?  It is very interesting and the lighthouse is one of the most photographed lighthouses on the Great Lakes.

Attachments

• 01-Split Rock Lighthouse (Small).jpg
    01-Split Rock Lighthouse (Small).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 02-Split Rock Lighthouse (Small).jpg
    02-Split Rock Lighthouse (Small).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 12
Sept. 18 Day 32 Tomah, WI

Today was exciting from beginning to end!  We drove along the Mississippi River on US 61 to the Wabasha Public Library, parked the RV, and headed to the NATIONAL Eagle Center.  We have seen the word ?National? too often on minimal attractions, but we were impressed with the beautiful building sitting right on the Mississippi.  We paid $6 admission, and we immediately went to the 1:00 presentation.  Wow!

The speaker told us that 3 of the 4 ?girls? (bald eagles) were out ?having their nails done.?  They go into the Raptor Center in Minneapolis for coping (having their beaks filed--sides and tips and their talons clipped.) 

She gave us a brief bio on each one.  The one still on display, Harriet, was 17 when she was hit by a car.  How?  If prey is killed on the road (perhaps a deer), they find this an easy dinner-to-go, like our fast food.  When they see a car coming, they think it is another predator coming to steal their dinner, so they ?mantle?, raise their hackles and feathers, and cover it with their wings.  By the time they realize that it is a car, they can?t get enough lift quickly enough because they are such a heavy bird, weighing 10-11 pounds.  Females weigh 1/3 more than males.  The colder the environment, the more they weigh.  It?s not unusual for an Alaskan female to weigh 15 pounds.

They can store 1 pound of food in their crop, which makes take-off tough.  It takes them a long time to get above the height of a car.  Harriet?s left wing hit the top of a van and had to be amputated at the wrist.  They knew she was 17 because she was banded in the nest.  She is now 31.  In the wild, the lifespan is 25-30 years.  She has a cowlick on her head.  She has appeared on Jay Leno, the Today Show, and her picture is on Minnesota?s Support Our Troops plate.  Harriet likes to eat at 3:00, rather than 1:00, so they are hoping the others come back soon.

Angel, age 13, is the loudest, and on cue, she screams out to let everyone know she?s back.  She can see eagles outside through the windows that are everywhere, and she is saying, ?GET LOST!? to those eagles.  She broke her wing and the bones fused.  Herons throw fish forcefully at eagles who invade their rookeries.  However, her wing could have been broken in a myriad of ways.  They got Angel within a couple days of her breaking her wing, so they re-broke her wing and put in rings and rods.  It healed beautifully.  But?it only takes bald eagles 10 weeks to reach the same size as the parents.  So, while her wing was healing, the muscles that needed to form so quickly couldn?t.  She can fly about 10 feet. 

Columbia was hit by a car.  She had lead poisoning.  They probably caught her within a day or 2 of her ingesting it.  It kills an eagle in 5-6 days.  She is brain-damaged.  Lead is inexpensive, so it is used in sinkers and tackle.  Sometimes it is in the fish that the eagles eat.  Deer hunters often dress the deer in the woods and leave a pile of guts.  Eagles have a bad sense of smell, so they would not eat what they couldn?t see.  If hunters would just cover them with leaves.  A piece of lead less than the size of a BB will kill an eagle.

The stomach acid of a hawk or eagle has a PH of 1 or 2.  Battery acid is a 1.  They can digest bones, but they cough up pellets of fur and feather.

Donald, a golden eagle, was eating road kill when he was hit by a car.  His age in unknown, but he is en years or more.  Golden eagles are here from mid-October to mid-March. Goldens don?t like water and don?t recognize fish as food.  The male and female golden eagles are together all the time.  They are a powerful team and have twice unsuccessfully tried to take a white-tailed deer here.  They are ?booted? meaning that their leg feathers go all the way to the ankles.  Bald eagles are ?fish eagles? , and their feathers go just halfway down their legs.

Washaka, age 3, the last bald eagle, is flighted.  She had a tumor on his left eyelid, which left him blind.  Most eagles can see a rabbit on a bluff over a mile away.  Washaka would not be able to hunt on his own.

Only 50% of eagles make it to their first birthday.  Only 20% make it to adulthood, 5-6 years old when they get their white heads.

Eagles have strong nest-site fidelity.  When they return to the nest each spring, they lock talons and do cartwheels to check out each other?s physical fitness to reproduce and raise a new family.  If one of them doesn?t pass, they will select another mate.  (I wonder who gets the house!)  Bald eagles? nests can weigh 3 tons.  They aren?t neat eaters, so they add nesting material to cover up the decayed fish, bugs, etc.  Angel was messy and threw a morsel of fish in the speaker?s hair.  Then, with the center built up, they have to add material to build up the sides.

As eagles age, they have to grow longer feathers, so they molt  The National Eagle Repository gets all feathers that are molted, and they redistribute them to qualified native Americans for spiritual uses.

Angel was brought in, with her yellow beak, yellow eyes, and yellow feet (Picture 1).  She has a 7? wingspan.  We were warned to quickly back up if she turns her back to us because SHE CAN SHOOT HER POOP 6 FEET! 

She is quite a character.  They feed the eagles fish that are donated by fishermen when possible because they are free, so they don?t always have the kinds they prefer.  If Angel is offered something she doesn?t like, such as carp, she looks for her handlers? fingers that are carefully hidden under the bowl, so she can bite her!  She liked the northern pike that she was fed today. (Picture 2)  When she was finished, she announced, ?I?m read to go now,? by flapping her wings. (Picture 3)

At the conclusion, we were able to get our pictures taken with a different bald eagle (Picture 4) so we could see the eagle really close (Picture 5).  Then she announced she was ready to go (Picture 6).

Every Tuesday they put leashes on the eagles and take them for a swim in the Mississippi.

Our speaker was fascinating and strong.  Holding your arm out with 10 pounds on it for 45 minutes is quite a feat.  When the eagle was eating, he put 50-70 pounds of pressure on her hand.  This is a ?MUST GO TO? if you are within 300 miles.

It was after 3:00, and we had an early breakfast.  On TripAdvisor, I found T-Bones Grill and Bar.  I had the Reuben, which was very good, and Dean enjoyed his cheeseburger.  The building is architecturally interesting and pretty.  The owner is a cattle rancher, and ?he wanted good food when he came to town,? so he developed his own restaurant.  Service was great.  I would recommend it.

We didn't stop at LARK because it was getting late, but it did look interesting.  We'd definitely stop next time.

It was only 50 miles to Tomah, which is near tomorrow?s attraction.  Should be easy, right?  SO WRONG!  We use the RV?s GPS and my I-phone?s Mapquest.  Both told us to turn right, and they took us out on a dike surrounded by huge rectangular ponds that are cranberry bogs.  Then the road turned to dirt!  Scary!  Water was on all sides of us, and we were on this narrow dirt dike?definitely could not turn around, even if we detached the Jeep. And, darkness was descending upon us.  When we saw a fisherman, I told Dean to stop and ask him for directions.  He didn?t know how to get a vehicle our size out of the bogs, so he hopped in his pick-up, explored, found a way out that would fit us, and came back and guided us out to the highway.  Relief!  His truck had North Carolina plates, and I am so grateful to that Southerner, who told us, ?By the way, you found the best fishing hole in Wisconsin!?  As I said, it was an exciting day.  But this kind of excitement, we?d be happy to skip.

Staying at WalMart

Attachments

• IMG_8171.jpg
    IMG_8171.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8165.jpg
    IMG_8165.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8178.jpg
    IMG_8178.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8180.jpg
    IMG_8180.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8182.jpg
    IMG_8182.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8184.jpg
    IMG_8184.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 16
Lorna said:
I would be willing to bet that most if not all of the families with children that were there that day were home-schooled.  When you were on the North Shore did you stop at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park?  It is very interesting and the lighthouse is one of the most photographed lighthouses on the Great Lakes.

I was on a similar wavelength.  I was thinking that with the cold winters, families would play board games, cards, do hobbies--all of which means interaction.  We saw lots of kids, so I'm sure some must have gone to public schools.  It would be interesting to know the "why".  All I can tell you is that it is.

No, we would have enjoyed the lighthouse, but time was a factor.  We like to linger and savor, and this really should have been a 2-day trip.

I liked reading about and the pictures of the eagle center would love to visit there. Some times you just can't trust those GPS they can get you in trouble, glad that you found the fisherman to lead you back to the Hy.

Fascinating description about the eagles, Linda.  Thanks for passing it on to us.  And neat photos too.

You really were lucky to find that helpful fisherman!  We love our GPS but never entirely trust it.  Sure glad you didn't have to try to turn around!

ArdraF

Loved your eagle article, Linda.  I printed it for Tom to read, too. 

We can sympathize with your getting stuck on the levee.  We were misdirected to a Mississippe River levee (navigator's fault -- me) and were stopped dead by an 8 foot clearance trestle.  We managed to disconnect and turn the little 1982 Suzuki Samari around.  Any larger toad and we wouldn't have been able to turn it.  Then, Tom backed up at least three or four miles to get us out of that jam.  That was the last time his navigator recommended a "short cut".  ::)

Margi

Dean and Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed the Nat'l. Eagle Center in Wabasha.  Here I thought I was going to have a chance to meet you in person.  I read your post early this morning from my hotel room (Hampton Inn) in Tomah, WI.  Right across the street from the WalMart! 

I packed up for my work day and drove across the street at 7:45 a.m., but you were already gone!  Only a Class C and a 2008 or 09 Winnebago Destination sitting in the parking lot.  I hope you enjoy the remainder of your trip.

Sept. 19 Day 33 Baraboo, WI

We had a short drive to Necedah NWR. The beautiful new Visitors? Center has solar panels all over the roof which supply about 60% of the energy they use.  They had interesting displays, and s short film.  The gift shop was small, but they had nice, quality items.  I bought myself a Christmas present.

Necedah is the premier site working hard to save the endangered Karmer blue butterfly.  They have planted lots of lupine and are doing studies. However, we didn?t see any Karmers.  We did see lots of pretty dragonflies.

They have a lovely driving trail through heavy woods and meadows.  We went very slowly for quite a while and saw absolutely nothing.  We started driving a little faster and saw some turkeys.  We?ve seen turkeys everywhere, but have never been in a position to be able to get a photograph, so I suggested to Dean that we get a shot of them.  As Dean turned to get the camera, the turkeys ran into the brush.  I saw an adult bald eagle fly into a tree right above the turkeys, and he was followed by a juvenile bald eagle.  Then a fox bounded across the road in the same spot. I have never seen a fox in the wild before.  I yelped with glee, and when Dean turned around to see what was up, he spotted a porcupine on the intersecting road (Picture 1).  The picture is a little blurry, but he was moving right along and was quickly into the bush.  This is the second porcupine I?ve seen in the wild.  In 60 seconds, I had seen turkeys, bald eagles, a fox, and a porcupine.  I was in heaven! 

With the possible exception of Denali NP, I saw more different wildlife here than I?ve ever seen anywhere.  We saw trumpeter swans, a whooping crane in flight (no picture), raptors, Canadian geese, and snow geese.  (Pictures 2 & 3)  Unfortunately, they were either so far away or they came and went too quickly to get good quality pictures.

We made a wrong turn and stumbled across this doe and her 2 fawns.  I don?t know who was more surprised.  They took a long look at us, and we have a forever look at ?mom? because we got her photo before she ran into the woods. (Picture 4)

Please pardon the picture quality on #1-3.  We'll get out the long lens on the distant shots and ask the critters to stay still and let us get their photos.

We didn?t see any, but I believe them when they say they have otters, flying squirrels, wolves, and bobcats.

At one time there were only 16 whooping cranes.  They were taken into protective custody, and through an intense breeding program, their numbers have slowly increased.  If you have seen the film about when the first whooping cranes were re-introduced to migration by following an ultra-light to Florida for the winter, that happened at Necedah.  The cranes thought was the ultra-light was a crane. They did it again the next winter, but they remembered the route.  They now migrate each year all by themselves.  One year they did have a tragedy.  The flock got into a terrible storm system, and 17 were killed.  This was a real setback, but they are now rebounding and number over 200.

We have had two wonderful wildlife days in a row?the best 2 days of my trip.  Nothing trumps Mother Nature!

Staying at WalMart

Attachments

• IMG_8190.jpg
    IMG_8190.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8201.jpg
    IMG_8201.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8204.jpg
    IMG_8204.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8207.jpg
    IMG_8207.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 13
MN Cake Eater said:
Dean and Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed the Nat'l. Eagle Center in Wabasha.  Here I thought I was going to have a chance to meet you in person.  I read your post early this morning from my hotel room (Hampton Inn) in Tomah, WI.  Right across the street from the WalMart! 

I packed up for my work day and drove across the street at 7:45 a.m., but you were already gone!  Only a Class C and a 2008 or 09 Winnebago Destination sitting in the parking lot.  I hope you enjoy the remainder of your trip.

We were there on the night of the 18th, and we left on the 19th.  We are such sleepyheads, actually slow starters.  The earliest we have left anywhere on this trip was 8:40, which we celebrated because it was so early.  I suspect you looked for us on the morn of the 20th, and we missed each other by 23 hours.  I would love to meet you.  You helped make our trip through Minnesota so enjoyable.  Contact us if you ever get out our way in Southern California, and maybe we can do the same for you.

Billy Bob, Margi, and Ardra, thank you for your kind words and thoughts.  It's nice to feel like I have friends along for the ride--and for the travails. 

Margi, the pickles we've gotten into have all been joint efforts so far.  I will learn from your experience and be more timid about shortcuts because I would feel so bad if I got Dean into a big jam.  Sometimes those roads look so good, and peter out into dust.  I'm going to be more cautious.  However, it's nice that we have managed to keep from putting our RVs into the drink, so we must have decent problem-solving skills.  Someone above is watching over us.

Happy and safe travels,
Linda

Hi Linda,
    I just loved your interesting posting about eagles! Being a fan of fine feathered friends, I am always eager to learn more about them. Thank you so very much for sharing your trip!
    Space shuttle Endeavor is flying into Southern California today on the top of a huge airplane. I hope to catch a glimpse of it as it crisscrosses the Los Angeles/Orange County area on its way to LAX.
                                                                  Happy Trails,
                                                                              Bonnie

Linda,

When you were in Necedah you were just south of where I was born and raised.  That is a huge cranberry area.  Ocean Spray has a plant Babcock.  My father worked on his cousin's cranberry marsh during his early married life besides running a farm.

Dean & Linda your commits on Whooping Cranes on your Sept 19 post reminded me of the ones that winter here on the Texas Gulf Coast. Hope you don't mind I posted a few photos of them here. These were taken on TX 35 4 miles west of West Columbia, TX and about 5 miles from my home. We are 50 miles southwest of Houston, TX. The pictures were taken in Jan. 2012

Attachments

• number one Tx 35 West of West Columbia, TX.jpg
    number one Tx 35 West of West Columbia, TX.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 10
  • number two a few in theair.jpg
    number two a few in theair.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 17
  • number three TX 35 West of West Columbia, TX.jpg
    number three TX 35 West of West Columbia, TX.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 11
  • number four TX 35 west of West Columbia, TX.jpg
    number four TX 35 west of West Columbia, TX.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 15
Hi Folks,
    Linda just called me from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She asked me to let you know that she is unable to get WiFi, due to the large trees surrounding the RV park, where they are staying. She will be posting again soon.
                                                                      Happy Trails,
                                                                            Bonnie Lawrie

Bonnie Lawrie said:
Being a fan of fine feathered friends, I am always eager to learn more about them.
    Space shuttle Endeavor is flying into Southern California today on the top of a huge airplane. I hope to catch a glimpse of it as it crisscrosses the Los Angeles/Orange County area on its way to LAX.

Bonnie, thanks for posting the note re my lack of WiFi.  I, also, love to see any raptor--even the turkey vulture excites me.  One of my Top Ten Most Thrilling Life Experiences was getting to see bald eagles close up as our RV neighbor tossed out fish in Valdez, Alaska.  This went on for about 20 minutes, and I had chills from the excitement the whole time.  They were coming within 20 feet of me!  The next night the City Council enacted a law making it illegal, so it's not an experience I can repeat.

I'm glad you got to see the Endeavor on its flyover, and I'm sorry I missed it.  It would have been a thrill.

Billy Bob said:
Dean & Linda your commits on Whooping Cranes on your Sept 19 post reminded me of the ones that winter here on the Texas Gulf Coast. Hope you don't mind I posted a few photos of them here. These were taken on TX 35 4 miles west of West Columbia, TX and about 5 miles from my home. We are 50 miles southwest of Houston, TX. The pictures were taken in Jan. 2012

Oh, my goodness!  Mind?  Feel free to post anything anytime.  I LOVED THEM!  I've been asking every naturalist that I have met where they go to winter, and all they tell me is "The Gulf Coast".  That's a huge area--bigger than the whole Pacific Coast of California, Washington, and Oregon.  I am so glad to have an exact location where they were spotted.  Then I can call that area's Audubon and find out what's happening this year.  We are tossing about doing a 2-month Texas trip in the winter to see your "snowbirds".  So, this information is really helpful.  Thanks, Billy Bob.

Lorna said:
When you were in Necedah you were just south of where I was born and raised.  That is a huge cranberry area.  Ocean Spray has a plant Babcock.  My father worked on his cousin's cranberry marsh during his early married life besides running a farm.

Lorna, the Necedah area is rich in wildlife.  I picked up a Sunday newspaper in Milwaukee, and they have a whole page on Necedah, but I haven't had a chance to read it.  But, you can be sure that we will carefully avoid all cranberry marshes if/when we return!  We will relive that experience every Thanksgiving when we see the cranberry sauce.

Sept. 20 Day 34 Madison, Wisconsin

I read about the International Crane Foundation a decade ago, and it was on my Bucket List. We paid our admission of $8 each ($2 off for being seniors), and walked outside to the pens.  The first thing we noticed was that the walkways sparkled.  They are made 75% of recycled tumbled glass from bottles and are 25% granite and glue.  To construct paths in one exhibit, they used 160 tons of glass and created a market for recycled bottles.  Pavement usually sheds water, but these paths absorb the water while recharging groundwater and reducing stormwater runoff.

We first met the wattled cranes (Picture 1).  These South African cranes need for rivers to rise in the wet season and flood the plains.  Flooding protects them from predators during nesting.  They nest at the peak of flooding and then follow the receding water with their fast-growing chicks.  Recently, dams have been built which altered natural flooding.  Cranes stopped breeding, the grasslands dried up, and farming and fishing communities collapsed.  ICF has been helping local governments and dam operators find new solutions, such as timed water releases, to restore flooding.  Wattled Cranes are the most wetland-dependent, largest, and most threatened of the African cranes.

I think the black-crowned crane is the most beautiful.  They live in the Sabel, a savannah in the middle of Africa.  Human populations have greatly increased there, and over-grazing and climate change have caused the Sahara Desert to encroach upon it.  These gorgeous cranes and people compete for a decreasing supply of water and land.  ICF is working to protect the wetlands, a critical resource for local people.  In the U. S. we use 200 gallons of water per person per day.  In most of Africa, they use less than 20 gallons.

They have the world's only collection of all 15 species of cranes in 4 outdoor exhibits.  Three of the cranes, including the blue crane that I really was looking forward to seeing, chose to be inside where we couldn?t see them.  Most of the cranes had pens with thick wire, which made it impossible to get photos, so we just enjoyed their beauty.  Every sign stressed the measures ICF is taking worldwide to maintain and increase cranes? numbers.  The Education Building had many interesting, interactive exhibits.  I learned that it is illegal to have any endangered birds feathers.  At ICF they bury all the feathers that are molted.

We drove 50 miles to Madison.

We arrived at Olbrich Botanical Gardens on the shores of Lake Monoma just as the 50-ft.-high glass conservatory had closed.  So, we went to the outside gardens (free admission) that are open from dawn to dusk.  Wow!  They were very pretty and tranquil.  They had some pretty and unusual flowers, and the bees were loving them.  They had many very tall beautiful trees, some of which are turning colors.  The Japanese Garden was small, but very well done and tranquil.  (Picture 5) We may need to hurry up to see the Michigan leaves.

Through a joint effort of the U of Wisconsin, the Thai community here, and private donors, the only Thai Pavilion & garden in U. S. was donated.  There are no nails or screws in it.  The people who build it in sections flew in from Thailand, and they were on one of the last planes to land in Chicago on 9-11-2001.  I couldn?t believe the amount of gold leaf, and it?s just out in the open air.  There was a lot of symbolism in the pavilion, including crowns to honor the Thai king.  The lion on the front law is a sign of good luck and protects the Pavilion. They placed a large planter pot in front of the temple that reminds the Thai of the pot of water in front of their homes that welcomed visitors in their hot, humid climate.(Picture 7)  There is a miniature representation of a mountain landscape composed of stacked boulders, conifers, and other dwarfed plants.  They also had some traditional Thai topiary.  Surrounding the temple is a forest or jungle reminiscent of the Thai forests.

We didn?t make it back to the enormous glass conservatory.  There were lots of squirrels, chipmunks, cardinals, hummingbirds, robins, and other birds.  The gardens were beautifully maintained and had a wonderful serenity.  I?d give this site an ?A.?

We had a wonderful dinner at Joey?s Seafood and tried cheese curds.  Everything, especially the tiny corn muffins, was delicious.  The halibut and chips reminded us of Alaska.  Service was outstanding.  Prices were fair.

Then we went to Costco, which had huge aisles and much less product than we?ve seen anywhere else.  We were pleased that the post office had drive-through mailboxes.  It was a busy day. 

Staying at Lake Farm Park, 50 amps, no water/sewer @ site, but available, quiet county park, near Wal-Mart, roomy, pull-thru or back-in sites, good phone & satellite signal  $25, $2/night discount for seniors, $10 reservation fee, extra fee for dogs.  They have a wildlife observation deck that I would have liked to use if it weren?t so cold and rainy.  They also have a bicycle trail, fishing, boat launch, and a variety of sports areas.

Attachments

• IMG_8221.jpg
    IMG_8221.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8231.jpg
    IMG_8231.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8245.jpg
    IMG_8245.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8247.jpg
    IMG_8247.jpg