Looking at American Dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife has her eye on another one, it's a 2002 Winnebago Journey DL34. It does have 2 slides, fiberglass roof and only 79,000. It has all that the Dream has and then some and the price are very close to each other. Seems like the more we go look the more confused we get. To me, how it's made, runs, history is more concerning to the wife it's how the layout, styling and how comfortable it is. At least these two are side by side so that makes it easier to go from one to the other to compare.

Stonecoldrn said:
My wife has her eye on another one, it's a 2002 Winnebago Journey DL34. It does have 2 slides, fiberglass roof and only 79,000. It has all that the Dream has and then some and the price are very close to each other. Seems like the more we go look the more confused we get. To me, how it's made, runs, history is more concerning to the wife it's how the layout, styling and how comfortable it is. At least these two are side by side so that makes it easier to go from one to the other to compare.

If Mama ain't happy ......

George

Normally I would recommend the older but better built coach over the newer one of a lesser breed, but the difference between 1997 and 2002 is a major one.  RVs came along way in that time period. The Dream is still probably more elegant than the Journey, e.g. better grade of cabinetry and furnishings, but a 2002 Journey is a pretty nice rig too. And keeping Momma happy is real important!

Tough decision!

I agree with Gary (always do). I would also add that, even without knowing the numbers, if the 2002 Journey is very close in price to the 1997 Dream with no slides, then the Dream is probably way overpriced. No slides really is a huge deduct on resale value. Not saying you wouldn't be perfectly happy without a slide.  Of course the best plan is to go with what Mama likes.

I went today to look at the American Dream and the Journey. Neither one looked like the pictures did. The Journey looked like it had been flooded at one time, alot of stains down low, bad smell. The Dream was in better shape but did have water stains in the top cabinets in multiple places on both sides. The top was NOT fiberglass as he stated and had patch work done to it. Everything else looked pretty good for the age. The paint was not faded any. The kicker is I drove almost five hours to meet this guy and he said he would be around til 2pm and I got there at 12:30 and he was already gone for the day. A worker there cleaning other RV's let me look at them. I guess I will keep looking! Thanks for all the input.

You'll find the right one eventually.  I went over a year from the time I first started looking at RVs until I purchased about a month ago.  During that time, I looked at a lot of RVs online and a few in person.  I spent time here on RV Forum absorbing facts about different brands and pros/cons of different features.  Developed a mental list of must-haves, like-to-haves and non-essentials.

I started out doing online searches in a 250 mile radius of my home, then thought "boy, there's a lot more inventory if I expand my search to 500 miles."  I eventually started looking nationwide, but knew that I probably wouldn't buy a coach from 1000 miles away.  I eventually bought one 30 miles from home on Craigslist, but all the research I did allowed me to purchase confidently, knowing it was a good coach at a good price.

Good luck and have fun!

Jeff,

Keep looking. You can find much cleaner coaches at good prices if you are patient.  Don't settle for one that is damaged or not well cared for.  There are a lot if coaches out there for sale or will be for sale so just give it some time and keep looking. Finding a floor plan that your DW is happy with is one of the best thing you can do. ;D

Dan

Thanks Dan and Jag,
We are patient people and I am sure we will look at a lot and ask you guys alot of questions before we bite the bullet on one. I have 3 others to look at this week if Issac does not cause havic around here in the south!!

Well, didn't get a Dream but did buy a 01 Discovery 37U today. DW is very happy with the lay out and that makes me happy!! Thanks to all who posted suggestions. Now that I have jumped in the RV world I will start posting all my questions on what to do how to do it!!!!

Stonecoldrn,

Congratulations. You should be happy with the Discovery. It is another Fleetwood product and was built on the same assembly line as the American Coach series.

Congrats!  I really like the Discoverys.  If I hadn't purchased my Itasca, I was looking hard at a couple of Discoverys.

jagnweiner said:
Now you need to change your signature block.  ;D

You are correct about that!! I'm so excited I found something that I plum forgot about my signature.

Thanks

Jeff,

Congratulations.  Been gone a few days and just saw the post about you getting the Fleetwood Discovery.  Those are nice coaches.  Had some friends that had one and it was a beautiful coach and they loved it.  I know you will enjoy yours as well and have many great travels in it.  Look forward to hearing about them here.  Don't hesitate to ask help when you need it.  Lots of experience here.

Dan

We have some good friends who own a 2000 American Dream and loves it. We are starting the process of looking as we are planning to go full time within the next 2 years. Very impressed by how well the Spartan chassis and the Cummins diesel is holding up.

I have owned an 1997 Fleetwood American Dream motorhome for about 11 years now.
It drives better than any car and I love it. It has a very large bathroom, which is what drew me to it. It has a washer/dryer combo. which i love as well.  you put the clothes in and it washes and dries them. and you only have to take them out.  We did replace the refrigerator with a house model and since that gave us more room we put in 2 wine cabinets. It has storage space galore. I really love it.  It has a backup camera with sound. I've taken it to the NC Outerbanks several times alone and didn't have any problems parking it.  You have to watch your speed as it can haul butt, and drives so smoothly you are passing everyone on the highway.  never had any problems with it.  Our gets good mileage with a 100 gallon diesel tank, we can drive 5 hours to the outerbanks and 4 hours to myrtle beach SC before filling up.

Sadly, we've decided to sell it. We are purchasing a lake house 20 minutes from our home and so we most likely won't be camping anymore.  But you won't go wrong if you purchase one.  If you love to camp join Coast to Coast and find the cheapest campground as your home campground.  Prices are unbelievable.  we would camp for 7 days at OBX and only pay $70 and camp 7 days at Myrtle Beach for $70.00.  you can't go wrong.

hope this helped

You replied to a 7-year old post, so I doubt the original poster is still looking for that information.

Meanwhile, sorry you have to part with that great (Dream) coach.

Back
Top Bottom