"How to" install catalytic heater-hookup to outside propane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toaster

Anyone install one of those Olympus heaters? What is involved with hooking it up to the intake line? Any info helpful, what type of hookups did you use, etc. I would like to keep it in the general area of the original heater, so it can get outside air from 'the box'. Then a battery powered fan (Colman makes one) subs for the blower.  ;D

Help me Obi-Wan! Pics if you got em. Ive called a few plumbers who did not want to touch this. What should I tell them??

These heaters are not really intended to run with a fan. I got one for just that reason. My furnace uses too much battery power when we are boondocking.

I just installed my Wave 3 about two weeks ago. Pictures of mine probably won't help you much because every installation will be a little different. Make sure that all of your pipe is either black pipe or brass pipe. Do not use galvanized pipe for gas. Also, make sure to use either teflon tape or pipe dope that is rated for gas.

I disconnected the existing pipes from the tank after the regulator. I removed an elbow and replaced it with a "T" fitting. Then a reducer from 1/2" to 3/8" pipe. After the reducer came a brass gas valve.

At the heater end I started with 3/8" flare to 3/8" pipe union. That was the one piece that was hardest to find. Ace hardware had it, but they didn't know they had it. I added additional lengths of pipe at both ends and then connected the two ends with a length of rubber gas hose that I found in the gas grill section at Menards.

PM me if you run into difficulty

Ok, thanks- is this all underneath your rig? Pics would help a bit, at least for the ends. :D Why did you do a 'T' instead of an elbow? What is the other end going to?

The tanks are underneath. The new line runs from the regulator, through a wall into a basement storage compartment. From there, it goes up through the floor, behind some drawers, through a closet floor, and then through the closet wall where the heater is mounted.

The reason for the "T" is that it permits me to add an additional line branching off from the main line that serves the stove, fridge, water heater, and furnace.

I'll try taking some pics tomorrow. If I can get anything that might actually seem helpful, I'll post them.

Joel

Here are some photos that might help.
BTW, although I couldn't detect any leaks, my propane detector was alarming the next morning. I tightened all the fittings and have not had an alarm since.
Supply End Photo
1.  Rubber hose from the regulator. Unchanged
2.  This was an elbow but I replaced it with a "T."
3.  Main gas line supplying furnace, fridge, water heater, & stove. Unchanged.
4.  Gas valve added.
5.  Rubber gas line added. 3/8" pipe fittings are part of it. This end is a union.
6.  Additional gas valve added as low point drain. Probably isn't really needed.
7.  Bottom of tank.
Heater End Photo
1.  Brass union
1A.  3/8" flare fitting side.
1B.  3/8" pipe fitting side.
2  3/8" brass street elbow.
3  Wall of closet facing into bedroom.

Let us know how it works out.
Joel

Attachments

• Supply End.jpg
    Supply End.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Heater end.jpg
    Heater end.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 36
Thanks Joel, makes it less scary.Pics will really help!! Needs to be a sticky for installing one of these. I found a site that says the ones without "ODS" will work above 7000ft+, what is 'ODS'?

Of note, the models with ODS can not be used above 5000 to 7000 feet (depending on brand). The Olympian models without ODS can be used up to 12,000 feet, according to Olympian. The Mr. Heater ?Buddy? models may be used up to 7000 ft. So take that in to consideration since your favorite campground may be higher in altitude than what a catalytic heater is rated to operate at.

Found this also: Good pics but they did not use tape or sealant on the pipes? You also need a few specialty tools, but they seem to be under $25.00.

http://roadslesstraveled.us/heater/

Back
Top Bottom