Towing a 05 Grand Cherokee help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim & Jan

We will start towing an 05 Grand Cherokee, with Quadra-Trac II, in about two weeks and have concern regarding the steering wheel lock or lack of.

In the list of instructions for towing behind a motorhome, item 6 says to shut the engine OFF and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position. That sounds like turn the key to the OFF position to shut off the engine and then move the key to someplace else, having to do with keeping the steering wheel unlocked.

We tried calling Chrysler customer service and talked to service people at the local Jeep dealer. No one could tell us exactly what the "unlocked OFF" position is. We can find no key position where the steering wheel gets locked, even with the key out of the switch. The ignition switch is mounted in the dashboard and not on the steering column.

Fuse position #8 shows a 15A fuse for "Steer Col Lock (B+)". That bothers me, as it indicates that there is a means for the steering to lock electrically.

So, what I need is info from someone who is now towing an 05/06 Grand Cherokee on how they set their ignition key when towing.

Tim

How many positions on the lock?

My 01 grand cherokee has 5, starting from 9 oclock to 1 oclock:
-accessory on. plays radio, open and close windows
-key removal
-accessory off. the spot for towing with steering wheel unlocked.
-all on
-starter engaged

rhmahoney said:
How many positions on the lock?

My 01 grand cherokee has 5, starting from 9 oclock to 1 oclock:
-accessory on. plays radio, open and close windows
-key removal
-accessory off. the spot for towing with steering wheel unlocked.
-all on
-starter engaged

Russ,

I have 4 positions.

OFF
ACC
ON
START

Apparently the ignition switch changed after the 04. That's why I'm interested in hearing from someone who is towing an 05/06.

I hope that you cleaned the engine compartment on the Jeep after the TOW highway while in Tok. Our toad was loaded with dirt after the TOW.

We cleaned the outside of the Honda after the TOW, but when we lifted the hood the other day, we found a few pounds of gravel under there.  We need to clean the engine now.

OK here is the scoop on the 05 Grand Cherokee I got from the Woods. The Woods also have a 05 GC (sometimes referred to as a HRV).? The procedure is the same as on the 99 - 04.? From the run position turn the key one click towards off which is the acc position on the 05 this leaves the steering unlocked.? Be sure to turn the key off when stopped overnight as it may discharge the battery.? I'm still researching this.

The difference between the earlier CG and the 05 is that on the earlier ones?such as Russ's and ours there is an extra key position. Starting from the position where you can remove the key;? one click left or counter clockwise is ACC position, one click right or clockwise from the key removal position is off unlocked (steering is not locked and key cannot be removed) two clicks right or clockwise is the run position, and three clicks right or clockwise is the start position.? Towing is done with the key in the off unlocked position.? ?

On the 05 Grand Cherokee there is no position left or counter clockwise from the off key removal position.? So from off one click right or clockwise is the Acc positions which is also the position for towing, two clicks clockwise is the run position and three clicks right or clockwise is the start position.

In summary the correct key position when towing the 05 GC is in the ACC position.

Hope this clears things up. Congratulations on the 05 Grand Cherokee or HRV.

Ned said:
We cleaned the outside of the Honda after the TOW, but when we lifted the hood the other day, we found a few pounds of gravel under there.  We need to clean the engine now.

I did not have gravel... but I had a few pounds of Quartzsite dessert sand covering most everyting.

A few minutes with a medium pressure sprayer and all was clean again

Does anyone have a decent suggestion for reducing this problem with towed vehicles?

A full front end cover that extends up the windshield to the roof line will prevent most of the dirt from getting under the hood.  It won't stop the dust from below, however, but will keep the big chunks out.

Ron,

Reread Tim's message. In it he states

"The ignition switch is mounted in the dashboard and not on the steering column.

Maybe there isn't a steering lock?  ???  ???

Not really an issue since the instructions indicate the switch should be placed in the ACC position on the 05. I covered both the earlier models and the 05 in detail to avoid any confusion.? Wouldn't want to mislead somebody with a 04 or earlier either.

Ron said:
is the Acc positions which is also the position for towing, two clicks clockwise is the run position and three clicks right or clockwise is the start position.
In summary the correct key position when towing the 05 GC is in the ACC position.

Hope this clears things up. Congratulations on the 05 Grand Cherokee or HRV.

Ron,

Thanks for checking with the Woods. The service writer/manager at the Jeep dealer spent over an hour, waiting and talking to their Chrysler customer service people and couldn't get a straight answer, but left messages for people who were supposed to have the answers for towing questions.

They did get a call back in a couple hours and finally got the same answer that you had relayed to me, put the key in the ACC position.

I still don't know if there is a steering wheel lock and if so how it works. I did turn the steering wheel 3 full turns lock to lock and no lock, with the key out in the Off position. Maybe due to the fuse shown for "Steer Col Lock" it locks after the car is in motion, like the door locks after 15mph.

Tim

Glad I could help.  I thought I knew the facts but since we do not have an 05 I wanted to confirm my information was correct. Since Woods have toad an 05 Grand Cherokee/HRV for several thousand miles I figured they would know for sure.  I will probably be able to give the details on the steering lock tomorrow.  I have been told that on the 05 the steering lock is electrically activated, and have also heard the 06 doesn't even have one and that the steering lock can be disabled on the 05,  but I never confirmed this.  Maybe tomorrow.  I'm sure you will enjoy your CG.

Ron said:
Glad I could help.? I thought I knew the facts but since we do not have an 05 I wanted to confirm my information was correct. Since Woods have toad an 05 Grand Cherokee/HRV for several thousand miles I figured they would know for sure.? I will probably be able to give the details on the steering lock tomorrow.? I have been told that on the 05 the steering lock is electrically activated, and have also heard the 06 doesn't even have one and that the steering lock can be disabled on the 05,? but I never confirmed this.? Maybe tomorrow.? I'm sure you will enjoy your CG.

Ron,

Take a look at this http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6652340#post6652340

Vagabond also private mailed me and says that he has towed his 05 Grand Cherokee for 18 m0nths and 18,000 miles with no problem and hasn't removed the steering lock fuse. Be nice to see something official from Jeep.

Tim

We towed our GC twice, setting the key in the ACC position. The first time was only about 30 minutes and had no problem. The second time, because of something unexpected, towed it about ten hours after which the battery was dead.

After posting on the jeepsunlimited site I got a response from someone who also had drained battery problems when towing his 05 GC in the ACC position. He heard from someone else on that forum that the 2005 and later don't have a steering column lock. He since has towed for 18 months and 18,00 miles with the switch in OFF and the key out.

We towed again, for three hours, with the key out and the doors locked. I tied a white cloth on the top of the steering wheel, which I could barely see due to the tinted glass. We stopped at the first rest area to make sure the wheel wasn't locked and later I could sometimes see the cloth moving, as the wheel turned, during getting in and out of a gas station and making other turns. It seems that using the ACC position for a long time is capable of depleting the battery, we will stick with the OFF position. I hope to someday still find out what that steering column lock fuse is for.

Tim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom