can a '95 bronco be towed behind motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithb

I have been looking but can't find any info on towing a '95 Bronco behind a motorhome. It has electronic 4x4 switch and auto trans. Can it be towed flat without a disconnect ? If so, how do you get the transfer case in neutral ?

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Have you checked the owners manual? On our Suburban you have to depress two of the buttons at the same time for 10 seconds and you hear the transfer case shift to neutral. At the same time the neutral light illuminates. I would never have figured it out if I hadn't looked in the owners manual.

Hi tom,
  I don't have a manual. I actually work for a Ford dealer and still can't find any info.

My neighbor has a Bronco but I don't know if it is electric or manual 4-wheel shift.  I'll check with him tonight when he gets back from work. If it's electric shift, I'll take a look at his manual.  I may be able to scan something and send it to you.
Jake

Keith,

You'd think a Ford dealer would know  ???

Our last Bronco was 1984 and had a manual transfer case, so that's not much help I'm afraid. But I used to tow it behind our old coach.

Just last week we were cleaning out the garage and I came across the A-frame tow bar I used to tow the Bronco. My other half leaned it against the mailbox with a "free" sign. It was gone the next day.

Tom,

It's starting to sound like I should take the Bronco out to the mailbox with a "free" sign on it and buy something else. HEHEHE
Thanks
Keith

LOL Keith. I have to believe there's a way to shift that transfer case to neutral.

Well, it doesn't look too good.  I took a look at my neighbor's 1996 manual.  It provides details for placing the transmission into neutral if it has the manual shift. It shows four possibilities for the manual 4-wheel drive shift-2H, N, 4H & 4L.  But the manual does not provide instructions for putting the 4X4 Systems Touch Drive into neutral. The manual only shows 2H, 4H & 4L as possibilities for the Touch Drive system.  My neighbor says his 93 Bronco was was identical to his 96 in this regard so I would assume your 95 is too.
Jake

keithb said:
I have been looking but can't find any info on towing a '95 Bronco behind a motorhome. It has electronic 4x4 switch and auto trans. Can it be towed flat without a disconnect ? If so, how do you get the transfer case in neutral ?

Thanks in advance,
Keith

No, you cannot tow the electric controlled Bronco four down.

I have a '95 Bronco.? ?Its owners manual says that only the manual transfer case 4WD models can be towed four down.? ?The electrically controlled units do not have a neutral position and must be towed in 2H , only less than 35mph and only for 50 miles -- strictly an emergency procedure.

However, you can tow it by use of a driveshaft disconnect.? ?Folks around here seem to recommend Remco as the place to go for that sort of thing.? Click HERE to see their website.? ?

Thanks to you all for your input. It looks like a jeep is in my future again. That or making my wife drive separately. Actually, that might not be such a bad idea. LOL.

Thanks again,
Keith

find another bronco with manual 4x4, they are great vehicles, and priced reasonably....alot of them around, too....the jeep would have to be non-electronic 4x4 as well....

NJ2000R said:
find another bronco with manual 4x4, they are great vehicles, and priced reasonably....alot of them around, too....the jeep would have to be non-electronic 4x4 as well....

Agree.  My '95 has 87k and  pulls a 5000 lb trailer all over the west.

keithb,

Tom said "Just last week we were cleaning out the garage and I came across the A-frame tow bar I used to tow the Bronco. My other half leaned it against the mailbox with a "free" sign. It was gone the next day."

What he didn't tell you was that it was the sign that was gone the 1st day, not the tow bar.

Robert,

Chris figured that someone removed the sign so nobody would take the tow bar before they came back for it.

Back
Top Bottom