Towing a 5th wheel through the mountains?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skip10545

We are purchasing a used fifth wheel, and need to decide if a 36 or 34 foot is right for us. We like to spend time in the west - Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana. My tow vehicle is a 2011 Ford F250 deisel 4x4 crew cab.

Can I pull a fifth wheel trailer that is 36 foot and has a total dry weight of around 13,700 pounds over a pass in the Rockies like Berthod pass, with hair pin curves and a steep ascent and descent?

Do they allow us to pull it through tunnels - long ones like the Loveland Tunnel in Colorado?

What do you think?

We had no problems but you need to be aware of the tunnel height and widths. I don't think theres much difference with a length of 36 or 34 ft as long as you have enough truck to pull it.

Have you towed through Loveland Tunnel, or a similiar place. I know of some tunnels in the East where they do not allow propane tanks to go through, so I was worried.

Very few tunnels prohibit propane altogether, but some require that the tanks be shut off.

To the best of my knowledge neither the Eisenhower nor the Johnson tunnels at Loveland have any propane restrictions.

Propane restrictions generally only apply in tunnels that have a dip in the middle, e.g. those that go down and under rivers and back up on the other side. The "dip" this formed is a problem because the heavier propane can accumulate there, even building up over time from small leaks in multiple vehicles. Since the Loveland pass tunnels are higher at one end than the other, this is not a concern.

RVs are normally built to comply with the 13'6" height standard for interstate and national highway systems.  Most large 5W are around 13 ft in height.

That doesn't mean you won't ever encounter a bridge or tunnel less than 13'6", but they are rare in the western US and well-marked. In the eastern US where there are a lot of older underpasses and bridges, you have to be a bit more cautious once you get off the Interstates. There are map atlases that show the height restrictions for each route, e.g. the Rand McNally Truckers Atlas, and GPS POI data that will provide alarms as you approach low clearance obstacles.

The 13,700 dry weight is not what to consider. Figure what it weighs with a typical load on, clothes, food, gear, some water. All that basement storage will start to accumulate stuff, so the best option is to get some actual weights.

Yes, you can do it. Many people do. Just don't try pedal to the metal climbing, you will only waste fuel and frazzle your nerves. Let the transmission do it's job and maintain a steady pace.
Going down the other side is a whole new ball game. Use the tow haul, slow down at the top before starting the descent and don't ride the brakes. Snub them occasionally to keep things under control.

RoyM said:
Yes, you can do it. Many people do. Just don't try pedal to the metal climbing, you will only waste fuel and frazzle your nerves. Let the transmission do it's job and maintain a steady pace.
Going down the other side is a whole new ball game. Use the tow haul, slow down at the top before starting the descent and don't ride the brakes. Snub them occasionally to keep things under control.

X2, and if you have an exhaust brake, use it.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
X2, and if you have an exhaust brake, use it.

Joel

And if he does not have one, he should get one installed, if he plans any time tooling around the mountain West.

I assume you mean Eisenhower Tunnel? That's on an interstate, major truck route, no problem. We live in Colorado and travel all over the Rocky Mountains. We have never run into a tunnel in the west that regulated propane and on the major highways, nor problems with height and width. Get off the major highways, and you may find height and width and length restrictions but if you have the Mountain Directory book, it'll give you tunnel info and grades for the roads....well worth the cost.

Enjoy your travels
Wendy

State of  Idaho you'll have no problems at all. I've got a 31' Jayco that I drag all over the place out here. Yes I've got a exhaust brake and used quiet heavily both towing and empty. As for trailer weight figure against the GVWR of the trailer then you never have to worry. Dry weight is meaningless... As for speed in Idaho just take you time and relax I typical set the cruise control for 55 MPH and forget about it. But FYI state of Idaho has a 65 MPH speed limit for towing then remember most ST tires are rated for 60-65 MPH so like I said just set the cruise for 55 MPH and relax.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom