Best place to set up a GoPro Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie n Tara

The newest addition to our collection of electronic toys is a GoPro video camera. I've seen these mounted several ways; such as on the door, on the bumper, on the dash, etc.

I'm currently thinking about putting a permanent mount on the bumper, using suction on the hood (with a tie to the hood anchor), and perhaps on the dash with just the suction cup.

What have you found to be the most advantageous? Or what suggestions do you have?

TIA,

Ernie

Ernie,

Top of the hood would be way too hot I think.  Putting it on the sides and you risk ripping it off if in tight quarters.  If you have a stinger or a front bumper with a tube, that would be an ideal place.  Dash area is good since you have easy camera access.

What model did you get?  The Hero?

Attached is a picture of my current setup - a Daystar mount and a cheap Samsung HD cam mounted on the Rockhard cage.

Attachments

• DaystarCamMount.jpg
    DaystarCamMount.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 46
I was wondering the same thing. My kids got me the Hero for my birthday a few days ago. I am going to mount it on the stinger to start.

I got the Hero2 (current generation) because its supposed to have a program coming that will permit controlling it remotely from a Tablet. Since I'm looking to get a new Galaxy 10 to use for navigation anyway, I thought I'd kill two birds...

I also liked all of the mounting options that come with this camera.

By front bumper, I meant on the tube above the winch which would seem to be a good perspective. We've not had good luck with camera's that look through the windshield (usually dirty!).

Ernie

driver's side Rear View Mirror is handy; driver's side running board/rock rail is an interesting perspective since you can see the wheel turning and the suspension working.  limitless, actually... try them all.

Ernie n Tara said:
...We've not had good luck with camera's that look through the windshield (usually dirty!).

Ernie
True, but on the front (or any external location)  it'll collect dirt on the lens. Something will still need cleaning. It might be an improvement, though...

Ernie n Tara said:
I got the Hero2 (current generation) because its supposed to have a program coming that will permit controlling it remotely from a Tablet....  We've not had good luck with camera's that look through the windshield (usually dirty!).

The Hero is on my list, but it keeps getting pushed down in priority.  I just ordered NFL Sunday Ticket and DW said Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas  :p.  GoPro has been promising those attachments/features for months, I wonder when they will deliver.

I've been pretty satisfied with dash mount - when I watch dash cam video I'm looking at the action and not distracted by the windshield, but I go through a LOT of windshield washer fluid.  Sometimes I'm cleaning the windshield every few minutes.

You're right about the delays in delivering on promises. If you want the whole story look at the below site:

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/questions-problems-and-observations-hd1-hd2-f4.html

Root around and you'll find some real horror stories (0ver 700 entries in the WiFi BacPac discussion(s)). I'm guessing they don't have great software people because this is not brain surgery these days. Hopefully, they will release the conventions they use so we (someone other than me; I'm retired) can write our own software.

Otherwise, the devices have good capabilities and they are tough! I followed a Jeep using the suction mount on the drivers door (I guess so he could control filming) and that camera was still working after falling off at least four times, mostly on rocks.

Ernie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom