Please help my family decide......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

singlemom7

We are going to full timing due to a ton of reasons.  First this is work related so I have to have a reasonable work set up idea.  I have myself and two children 20 and 13 the youngest is home schooled.  I really can't afford more than 40 grand on the rv (I'm thinking class a deisel 40 ft).  I also figure that I will purchase my son a motor cycle for his transportation and I have a corvette that will need to be towed.  Basically two adults two kids.  Questions?  Suggestions?

There are quite a few RV's out there that will fit your price range, you might want to look at bunkroom models. one place to look is PPL motorhomes, they have a good website with  floorplans for each unit.

The one thing that might put a kink in your plans is the Vette, They don't tow. You will need a trailer for it.

Steve

Welcome to The RV Forum, Singlemom!

The easiest solution for getting your Vette from one place to another would be to simply let your son drive it, following the motorhome. Especially if you're only planning to move every couple of months.  Keep in touch with a pair of CB or inexpensive FRS radios.

This  saves the cost of buying a car trailer and the hassle of storing something 20' or longer when you're staying in one place.  Although you would have to either get a shorter trailer to carry the motorcycle, or a mount to carry it on the back of the motorhome.

They don't tow. You will need a trailer for it.

We know a couple who dolly-tow their Vette. It's a 2005 (?) with stick shift. An automatic probably requires a full trailer.

...you might want to look at bunkroom models.

There aren't older many (or any?) Class A's with bunks, so that's kind of pie-in-the-sky. You'd have a better chance for extra sleeping space with a "super-C" like the Jayco Seneca, but that's probably more than $40k.

I really can't afford more than 40 grand on the rv (I'm thinking class a deisel 40 ft).

For $40k in a diesel pusher, you are looking at models in the mid-late 1990's vintage and one slide (or none). Examples: http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail4583341.htm
http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail5053282.htm
Good coaches, but short on sleeping space for two adults + two adult-size children. 

You are facing a number of complications in your search, i.e. the Corvette, a lift or trailer for a motorcycle, sleeping space for 4 people, and a relatively low budget. You need look around at floor plans to see if any will accommodate your sleeping space needs.  You may have to reconsider either your wants, your budget, or the type of RV you will get.

What you need is something like this:

http://www.rvclassified.com/rvclassified_cfmfiles/custom_showroom_item.cfm?id=78202&showroom_id=1611&CFID=9245682&CFTOKEN=31502228

but it's way out of your budget range.

Another option to sleep the kids is to look for enough aisle space so you could have a residential height twin aerobed  (like this: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/AeroBed-18-inch-Elevated-Twin-size-Air-Bed/5151544/product.html

Usually the couch in most of those older floorplans will be a 'jack knife' style (too short for most to sleep on), or a pullout full/queen bed. One kid could go on there if it's a pullout; the other on a twin air mattress in the aisle or kitchen area.  Or, if you have enough space (especially if you have a movable table and chairs instead of a booth dinette), you might be able to fit two air beds in the aisle and kitchen area.

Using these types of mattresses has worked out well for us in the past, and hopefully might give you another thing to look for as you're searching through various floorplans. You'd need about 74" x 40" to fit one of those beds in any free floor space in the motorhome.

Best of luck!

with your requirements you'd be better served by a bunkhouse travel trailer or 5th wheel, and a tow vehicle. 4 in comfort for the long run will be hard to do otherwise.

I think we are going to look into a class a and turn the dinette area into something for my daughter and my work area.......suggestions?

I got a 1999 37.5 foot class A gas model in excellent condition for just over $22k.  A comparable diesel was just over your $40k budget.  The reasons for my choice were that the total miles I will put on annually will be way under 15k, probably even 5K.  If I was planning on driving more than parking, then a diesel would have made sense for me. But, my conclusion was that a gas model was a better choice as my first MH, as I was more interested in the Home than the Motor.  In my unit, two adults could sleep in the bedroom in the Queen bed, one on the table that turns into a bed, and one on the couch that turns into a bed.  It would be tight, but workable.  Just my two cents. 

I found a real nice one that might work for you.  It's a 99 Fleetwood bounder with a Cummins 5.9L motor, that I believe is one of the most reliable diesels out there, and even a washer/dryer.  They only want $29,888 and so that leaves you with $10,000 for accessories, repairs, etc..

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rvd/3233276380.html

Find out the tire age, They will run you about $3000.00 a set.

It looks fairly nice, It will need new carpet and some cabinet latches. The fridge is original so it is nearing end of life.

Just things to consider, If it runs well and gen and a/c works well this may be a great deal considering the above.

Steve

Ok, I think after opening my eyes a little wider and thinking outside the box here is the potential set up we would like to go with and the reasons why.

We would like a Class C used pulling a 20 ft used enclosed trailer for my Vette, Motorcycle on the back of the RV.

The reason we came up with this is that we give up some space in the RV however, we are creative enough to turn the trailer into a living area and sleeping area for my son, leaving the RV to us girls.  And that keeps the Vette safe, if it started hailing then the boy would have to quickly fold up his love nest and let me move my best friend in the garage!  I think we can do this for under 30k, minus the bike.....which I wont be buying til we are on the road for a min.  Another plus is that the storing capacity increases this way too. Thanks so much for the help, I want myself and the kids to be safe and happy on our journey.

Suggestions?  Feed back?  Going to reasearch that Super C meantioned earlier.

Finding a class C that can tow that much weight will be a problem unless you get into the diesel powered super C models.

Lol was fun reading my pre purchase thread.  I ended up with a 98 fleetwood discovery and a custom car hauler.  Job needs have changed so we are looking for workamping (although I don't want to box myself in to just working where I sleep) I took the love seat and dinette out and put a expandable barstool table there and a recliner.

So now we are in central Cali looking for work.  Headed to Oregon eventually so don't want to go south again if we can help it.  Suggestions?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom