San Juan Mountains - Black Bear Pass, backwards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
No, we weren't in reverse  ;D (at least most of the time.)  Black Bear is one-way down the steep switchbacks to Telluride except for special occasions.

Our club works closely with the area Forest Service agency, so it was arranged to run the trail backwards from Telluride to Highway 550 this morning.  16 Vehicles (mostly Wranglers, 2-doors, 4-doors, Rubicons, couple of Cherokees, Land Rover, an FJ, a vintage Land Cruiser, and a sweet Willies) made the trip and two club members blocked off the normal start of the steep switchback descent so there wouldn't be a dangerous traffic jam on some very narrow places.

We also had two Forest Service rangers make the trip in their government JK Rubicon.

Most of the climb up was routine mountain shelf road switchback driving but the last three or so switchbacks were very tight and there were some really narrow places.  I had dear wife keeping a close eye on the outboard tire position while I hugged the wall as much as possible in two or three places  :eek: .

At the series of rocky steps near the top, we went from complete shade to full sunlight right in our face as soon as I turned a corner.  Holy cow - very difficult to see anything.

Nobody in the group had much trouble but one Wrangler with open diffs struggled on one switchback.

Now we can add another trail to our completed list  :) .

Attachments

• 0630PottyStop.jpg
    0630PottyStop.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 49
  • CongaLine.jpg
    CongaLine.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Narrow.jpg
    Narrow.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 55
  • CloseToTopAndSteps.jpg
    CloseToTopAndSteps.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 49
  • BBruins.jpg
    BBruins.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 49
  • TellurideVista.jpg
    TellurideVista.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 42
  • BBpassJohnSassy.jpg
    BBpassJohnSassy.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 44
  • TellurideSideMirrorKen.jpg
    TellurideSideMirrorKen.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 49
  • BasinShelfRoads.jpg
    BasinShelfRoads.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 45
We have always enjoyed the San Juans. We went down Black Bear several times back in our 4 wheeler days but never were fortunate enough to get to travel it backwards.  That would really be neat.  I remember the most interesting part was the top of the "Steps".  Making that tight turn heading don always got my attention.  Since we sold our Jeep 18 years ago, I've taken my Chevy trucks on almost every trail in the San Juans except Big Bear!!! I'm not about to try that one!!!

Wendy - beautiful weather!  I was hoping we would have clear skies.

Larry - I'm always surprised to see full-sized pickups on the trails, but I don't envy them when making tight turns on switchbacks.

Dennis - I lucked out with the side mirror view of Telluride and the JKU behind me!

There are always a few of the switchbacks that require me to take a little time and back up once to make it around.  Corkscrew has a couple tight ones and so does California Pass.  There aren't any on Imogene, Stony, Cimmaron or Engineer.  We stay off of all the really tough ones like Poughkeepsie Gulch,  We just really enjoy the countryside and have found we enjoy it just as much from the truck as we did from the jeep.

We just ran Poughkeepsie again yesterday - what a fun trail.  I had one of the Forest Rangers riding shotgun with me instead of DW, he was looking for some help/instruction/tips for rock crawling in the government Rubicon.  We both had a great time.  Part of his area includes Black Bear pass.

John,

Thanks for sharing those  photos.  I too like the artsy shot of the side mirror and view.  Those look like pretty steep drop offs if one would make a mistake?  Glad all were well.

Betty - I call Black Bear one of those "sneeze and you're dead" trails.  We have many trail hours on narrow mountain shelf roads and BB is one of the most dangerous we have ever been on.  There was an experienced couple in a well set up Jeep killed on it four or five (six?) years ago.  It was raining and apparently they started sliding in some loose rubble.  Down they went several hundred feet.

I think going up it is much safer than going down, though.

Good job on that video John,  I thought it was a trail clean up run but I did'nt see any one stop to pick up any trash. I just ran it on Fr 8-31 and it looked pretty clean though.
  You mean you guys didn't stop to play on the swing?

Attachments

• Black Bear Swing (10).JPG
    Black Bear Swing (10).JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 21
Real nice video John. That sun was sure bright. Do they still close the trail when it rains? I ran it one time and it started to rain pass the point of no return and it made the trail real slippery. Took us over twice the normal time to run it because we just slowed way down. Here are a few of my modest pics compared to your video. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Silverton, CO 001 (56).jpg
    Silverton, CO 001 (56).jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Silverton, CO 001 (54).jpg
    Silverton, CO 001 (54).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 14
  • Silverton, CO 001 (63).jpg
    Silverton, CO 001 (63).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Silverton, CO 001 (71).jpg
    Silverton, CO 001 (71).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Silverton, CO 001 (72).jpg
    Silverton, CO 001 (72).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Silverton, CO 001 (74).jpg
    Silverton, CO 001 (74).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Silverton, CO 001 (85).jpg
    Silverton, CO 001 (85).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 13
max49 said:
Good job on that video John,  I thought it was a trail clean up run but I did'nt see any one stop to pick up any trash. I just ran it on Fr 8-31 and it looked pretty clean though.
  You mean you guys didn't stop to play on the swing?

The trail leader picked up most of the trash, don't think there was much fortunately.  The swing - whoa!  I'll pass.

hes4all said:
Real nice video John. That sun was sure bright. Do they still close the trail when it rains?

Thanks!

AFAIK, the trail is never closed unless there is a backwards run scheduled.  I would turn around if it was raining - that adds an element of risk that is not acceptable to me.  Your pictures look like a different trail - funny how different a trail can be when you run it both ways.

Great Video John!  I agree that it looks completely different going backwards.  I've found that to be true on all scenic roads.  They're all worth traveling both ways.  Doubles the pleasure!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom