RV for a year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afnospam

We have this crazy idea as a family that we're going to sell everything and spend next year RVing across the country. We're trying to put together a plan and budget. Never having owned an RV or a trailer, I have absolutely no idea of how expenses or a possible budget. The RV or trailer, and truck will be paid for, so besides that, can anyone point me to resources that will help me think about a travel plan and possible expenses? Thanks in advance. AF

We have an article or two in our library that might help, although the data will be a little old and certainly won't reflect today's fuel prices. Click the Library button above, and select Fulltiming.

Personally I would get something in the 34 - 35 ft catagory MH in a gas engine. That is if you are going to diespose of it after the 1 year.  A diesel in the equivilent size is going to be 15 to 25K more pricewise and you can buy a lot of fuel for that amount of money.  Also it might be easier to resell being a lower price.  That's only an opinion but only you can make that decision.  Good Luck

I would be a bit cautious with the "sell everything" if you are only going to RV for a year.  Come time for the adventure to be over, it will likely cost more to replace your stuff than  you got when you sold it. That said, much of our stuff can be downsized without much thought.  Humans (especially women ) tend to be collectors. As far as a budget, we find that living full time in our RV we spend about the same as we did living in a house.  Fuel has become our biggest expense of late as we are traveling may miles.  Food used to be the most. It is very hard to give someone budget advice because all of our  standard of living requirements vary so much. What cannot be calculated is the experiences you have.  I'd say one year of living with freedom on the road is worth it's weight in gold.  Go for it!

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
I'd say one year of living with freedom on the road is worth it's weight in gold.  Go for it!

Great advice Betty!

Back
Top Bottom