fuel sending unit problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

therealsimpsons

Recently. we took a 600 mile 4 day trip. Suddenly the fuel gauge started bouncing all over the place. When I got home, I took the attached picture of the fuel sending unit which is located high on the tank behind the driver's front wheel.

At the time the picture was taken, it looks like all three leads were intact. On our next trip, the fuel gauge bounced around again, and then finally settled in at a full peg to the right of the 'full' indicator.

I tried everything I could to try to get under there to put a DVM on the leads to see if a ground was loose or corroded. I'm 6'3" and just couldn't reach the unit without crawling completely under the coach with the air bags in front raised up high. Frankly, I was very reluctant to go under there without any kind of stands or lift. Our front axle weighed 10,080 lbs when we had it weighed.

This weekend I gave it one more try, as we are leaving Thursday night on a 2 week vacation. No go. I did notice that one of the leads was now completely disconnected which I attributed to causing the gauge to peg over. We broke down and took it to our service center Sunday night and dropped it off. Today they called and said they fixed it, it was the disconnected lead.

When I picked up the coach, it was right at closing time. When I started it up, the gauge read less than 1/4 tank. That didn't seem logical to me, because I put $300 dollars in and only drove 160 miles since.

There is a Flying J right across the street. I figured I would put fuel in to see if the needle moved. I added 25 gallons, and still the same. I added another 25 gallons and no change on the gauge. I didn't put any more in because I planned to drop it off across the street again, and I needed something to go by the next time I pick it up.

Does anyone have any ideas? Bad sending unit? Are there aftermarket units available?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Stan

Attachments

• sending unit.jpg
    sending unit.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom