Adding sleeping space

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabrooks

We recently purchased a Georgie Boy Landau 34' class A. We have 5 grandchildern and would like any ideas on how to add a sleepimg space for a child. We wondered if there was a reclining type chair that we could purchase to replace the barrel chair that is behind the passenger seat. I had also wondered if anyone had any experience adding a fold up bunk over the dinette, sofabed or barrel chair? The dinette and sofa bed are both in the front slide.

You could use an air mattress.  Aero beds are very easy to set up and take down; and they are comfortable.  They store well also.  That's what we use when we take our 7 year old with us camping in the motor home.  Of course she shares it with our 70# standard poodle.... ;D

Marsha~

In the past, my Dad made a bedpan out of door and would mount it over and on the dinette seat backs like a bunk bed.  The foam mattress and pan was stored above the dropdown bunk over the driver's and co-pilot's seats.  Can't see why something similar couldn't be constructed using an air mattress instead.  Thoughts would be for storage of the bedpan, maybe behind a jack-knife bed or on/under the master bed.  JM2?...

You can use most any kind of reclining chair that fits the available space. A lot of people have added recliners or replaced a sofa, love seat or other furniture with recliners. Look around furniture stores and see what might work for you. Lazyboy stores are one possible source.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I had already been to Lazy Boy and saw a swivel recliner which was mounted to a swivel base which could easily be bolted down. I also like the idea of the door across the back of the dinette backs. I am keeping an open mind but am leaning toward the recliner and have not given up on a fold down bunk. I am new to the Forum and really enjoy reading it. Everyone is so knowledgable and willing to help. Thanks again.

Google bunk bed cots. They are easy to set up add a lot of sleeping room and store away for full use of the MH during the day. Less than 200.00.

We build a bench type seat along the wall by the dinnett table. This gave us additional seating for dinner (with three seat belts for traveling) as well as an additional piece of foam and ply wood (with screw on legs) under the love seat gives us additional sleeping area for two kids. It works great....

My friends just use a tent  for the overflow of grand kids.  State and national parks typically  allow 1 Rv plus 1 or 2 tents on the same lot.

I actually saw a Class C recently that had double in back, double over the cab, built in bunk beds and a dinette booth that converted to a bed and a couch that folded out to a bed.

In older RV's I've also seen a couch that converted to bunk beds. The back of the couch was bolted to the wall with a piano hinge across the top. It swung up level  to make the upper bunk while the seat of the couch stayed in place to make the lower bunk.

These were included in most all of the older GMC units. Not sure if newer RV's ever use this ingenuity anymore or not.

Some of the new Class A motorhomes have an electric retractable bed that uses an air mattress that is attached to the ceiling over the driver and passenger seats.  When not in use it retracts up to within a foot or so of the ceiling but when in use it lowers to the top of the seats and makes almost a queen size bed.  I know the entry level Fleetwood Storm has this option.  maybe someone can fit one in your MH.  see below

Storm 32BH      Length: 31'
Storm 32BH
Floor Plan Options
OPT084
19" LCD TV
OPT097
19" LCD TV
Dual Panel TV's
OPT157
Dual Panel TV's
Hide-A-Loft Drop Down Queen Bed 60
OPT218
Hide-A-Loft Drop Down Queen Bed 60" x 80" W/26" LCD TV
Dinette W/Swing Down Bunk 30
OPT860 OPT864
Dinette W/Swing Down Bunk 30" x 70" Dinette/ 28" x 70" Bunk

That is a great idea. I guess I will go to my local Fleetwood dealer and take a look at one. I was thinking all along about the space above the driver but couldn't figure how to attach one so to it wouldn't be in the way. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom