EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Picture Requirement Fair or Unfair  (Read 16093 times)

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
Re: Picture Requirement Fair or Unfair
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »
Common sense goes a long way, Lou. Can anyone defy it...yes many people do. Go, Lou. You have a lot left.

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »
Wendy, I have a photo to submit that is the epitome of cleanliness, neatness and normalcy, but you probably wouldn't hire me anyway, since it's a photo of my neighbor lady.  Should I still feel victimized?

Lou, I find it impossible to imagine you ever feeling victimized. And if you listed yourself as "M" and sent a picture of an "F" you'd be off my list of potentials...unless I was hiring a comedian. :)

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Chipmonk Chaser

• ---
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 03:33:54 PM »
That is the very reason that I only look for workamping positions at State Parks. I have allways applied on line or by telephone and I've never had them ask about the age or appearance of me or my trailer. It is a shame that some folks might judge you by the RV that you can afford. It's too bad that we live in a society where park owners feel like they need to present an UPSCALE image. There are so many State Parks in the country that finding a desirable workamping position isn't a major task.
I would rather enjoy the RV lifestyle with an older RV than sit and watch TV until I pass away.

Best wishes

DakotaRed

• ---
    • click to follow our travel
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 04:25:07 PM »
If any of you think that discrimination is dead, you are living in a "bubble".  I have mixed feelings about having to provide pictures of your rig, but requiring your picture as part of the resume should be off limits.  If you want to verify their qualifications, follow up on their references.  If they don't have sufficient references, you have every right to either ask for more, or deny the application.
++Larry
Dakota with Larry & Kathy Belikoff
fulltiming since 10-11-2011
2014 Tiffin Bus 45LP
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Demco tow, AFO
follow us at:
http://klb-rv-travel.blogspot.com
find us at:
http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=20595

diehard

• ---
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 08:30:32 AM »
Personally, I see no problem with the need to provide a picture of self and rig.  The owner certainly has an idea of what image they want their park to project.  For example, someone who wants to run an upscale park would not want someone with tattoo sleeves on both arms working in a position as one of the first faces in the company that people see when they walk in, and I take no issue with that.

In addition, if I were in a position to hire, the last thing I would want is to hire someone that I have no idea what they look like.  In the absence of face-to-face interviews, a "recent" photo is the only option, and I would stress recent.  I would also have an idea of the duties at hand in the position and, if some ability to move and do some grunt work around the park were necessary, I'd probably get a bunch of "absolutely, I have no problem doing that" responses.  If I were to hire someone sight unseen and, lo-and-behold, some 400lb-er walks through the door sucking air just from walking from the camper parked right in front and intruduces himself "Hey, I'm George, your workamper", I'd certainly be quite unhappy about needing to find a replacement on the spot in a rush.

Just because you were denied doesn't mean that you didn't fit their needs, were too ugly, didn't like your rig, thought you were too fat, too skinny, too white, too black, too tall, too short, not blonde enough, too blonde, wore a pink shirt when they hate pink, or have funny looking feet.  Just means that they got someone who replied first that they felt met their needs and took them immediately because they didn't want them to get away and take another opportunity while waiting for your or anyone/everyone else's response.
1999 Itasca Sunrise
2010 HHR frog
Travels with DW, DD and a Boston Terrier

Jeff Brown

• ---
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 08:42:44 AM »
My mom is a traveling nurse and she has had several Skype interviews because it's just too hard to get a real feel for an applicant over the phone.  I personally thing that is a better approach than the photo of self and rig idea.  Face to face interviews provide valuble feedback about how a person responds to questions in ways that telephone interviews just dont do.  Just my opinion though.

Jeff
Jeff - Driver
Wife - In complete control!
Bear - strapped to his seat! (9 year old son)
Duncan and Bailey (the dogs) - constantly looking for a different window
2002 Bounder 36S "King Charles the Great Bounder" or "Big Chuck"

dante2004

• ---
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 06:05:46 PM »
I know this is an old post, but I stumbled across it so others may as well.

Providing a photo during an interview process is not uncommon at all...in any types of employment.  Particularly when they intend to make a hiring decision without a face to face interview.  Skype video interviews are even becoming popular for first interviews that in the past were done over the phone.  Not only is it more personable, but you also get to observe the person's appearance and body language.

Stop looking for "discrimination"...there are plenty of other legitimate reasons why they want to see a photo that have nothing to do with race/gender/age.

If I were to hire someone to represent my business, I want to see what kind of an image they portray.  For workcamping...that would include their rig since it will be sitting on my property.

Are you clean cut?  Professional looking?  Do what you want in your personal life, but when you are on my time clock, you represent my business.  Facial piercings, visible tattoos, ripped clothing, etc.  Did you care enough about your image to dress up a little for the photo?

I know these are all judgmental things,  but as others have said, employers have the luxury of being particular.

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »
Good topic.  Wendy, I think you stepped into it.  Please define "normal".
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 08:42:32 AM »
I can remember when "discriminating" was a complement - it meant that people had good judgement and taste. Had nothing to do with prejudicial behavior. Now anybody who wishes to maintain some minimal standard of decor and behavior is automatically a bad person. Arghh!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 09:09:39 AM »
Well said Gary!
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Dan23

• ---
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »
Why don't you post a picture and let us rate it?   8)
Slide-free 1998 Winnebago Brave 30'
2009 Kawasaki KLR toad on carrier
If needed, wife follows with 2010 Mazda 3 hatch or 1995 Miata

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 08:22:07 AM »
I have noticed, in my travels both before and after going full time, that some jobs tend to be filled by "Beautiful people" as it were,  In many cases these folks have more beauty than brains, in some cases they actually know how to do their job.   But still looks are often more important to Human Resources than brains... (I am kind of the other way around).

Same with the RV,, I have seen several RV parks that have so much business that if your rig is not "Beautiful" they do not want to let you park there... Some of the parks with, for example, 10 year rules,,, are kind of junky when it comes to the park property (But all the rigs are new and good looking) Covered wagon on Bolder Hwy in Las Vegas or Henderson (not sure where the city limit is ) for example.

In some cases.. Epically the demand you send a photo of you.... I kind of wonder if it's legal.   But I am not an attorney.. Just a former union steward and officer...  So "Wonder" is the best I can do..  A labor relations attorney might be able to get you paid even if you did not get the job.. But then he's gonna need to get paid as well.

Around here we have basically 3 park rangers
1: Doubles as park manager
1: Does only Ranger duties and is really the assistant park manager even if she has not the title
1: Ranger/Housekeeper.. Now she is a good looking young lady (Married) her Hubby is a park handyman  (#2's hubby sometimes helps with handyman duties when his primary job (OTR Semi) does not need his attention)

You can get a large charge out of #2's hubby though.. He tows mobile power plants to stores where power has been lost due to storms.. IE: Home Depot type stores.. Very important for them to be open following a Himicane so people can board up.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

dante2004

• ---
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
As an alternative to a photo, would you be happier if they required a face to face interview...?

Face to face is standard practice for most jobs and no one hesitates for a moment. 

Keep in mind these are generally low paying hourly jobs and the cost to fly someone in for an interview is not feasible.  So...they ask for a photo.  If you don't like it, don't apply.

Chipmonk Chaser - As for a photo of the rig, they want to know what it looks like, not how much you spent.  It isn't an income competition.  If I ran a park I would much rather have a clean, well maintained 5 year old Jayco TT on my lot than a year old $2M Prevost that was dirty, beat to hell and had a graphic of a half nude lady painted on the side. 

docj

• ---
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »

Stop looking for "discrimination"...there are plenty of other legitimate reasons why they want to see a photo that have nothing to do with race/gender/age.

If I were to hire someone to represent my business, I want to see what kind of an image they portray.  For workcamping...that would include their rig since it will be sitting on my property.

People often lose sight of the fact that it's only discrimination from a legal perspective if a hiring decision is based on sex, race, religion, etc. It is perfectly acceptable to make a decision based, for example, on whether or not the person has tattoos or piercings.

Years ago when one of my sons was a teenager, he wanted to get an earring.  I told him that I had no problem with his doing so, but he should recognize that someday he may have to interview for a job with an old fart like me who might hire the candidate without an earring in preference to him.  He never did get that earring and, these days, that probably no longer would matter, but other aspects of appearance can still make a difference.

Joel
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

MT4Runner

• ---
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
I don't care if someone is white, black, brown, purple, or green, man or woman, young or old. 

If I were hiring you to work with the public, I'd want to see you projecting an image that would be in line with the image I want to project of my park.  If you're smiling and look friendly and neighborly, I'd want you. 
If you look grumpy and mean and like the kind of neighbor I'd want a 10' fence between us just to minimize interaction?  I would probably look to the next applicant.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2014, 12:58:22 PM »
Blue Skies, I said " ..."normal" looking for the place I was hiring for..." If I was hiring for a biker bar, "normal" would be far different than if I was hiring for a bank.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
It is perfectly acceptable to make a decision based, for example, on whether or not the person has tattoos or piercings.

Right. Until the person claims those tattoos are a matter of profound personal belief on his (or her) part. Or says his civil rights are being violated because he has an inalienable right to express himself via his body art. Or whatever.

[Sigh] I apologize for going done this road at all. Mea culpa. I'll stop now.  :-[
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Quillback 424

• ---
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »
I believe that it was Fox News that reported a few days ago that 58 percent of Americans have a tattoo. They went on to say that to achieve such a percentage means that virtually every adult under 40 has a tattoo. If so, the hiring officers of tomorrow will have different criteria for hiring front desk employees for their businesses.
Larry --  Olathe, Kansas
2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2005 Trail Rated Jeep GC 4.7 L

"Only an insane society would restrict the liberties of healthy people based on the actions of the disturbed." 
John Hayward

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »
I have a tattoo.  It's old, older than me. :)   One of those silly "on the way home from boot camp bus layovers with a tattoo shop next door to the bus station at 1 am and time to kill" tattoos.  It's on my left forearm and it didn't take me long to regret it.  But, at least I was smart enough to not get one on an earlobe or somewhere always in view and when interviewing for a job in a suit and long sleeve dress shirt, never posed a threat.  The one thing I wonder about, however, is how grandma is going to explain that dragon tattoo on her back with talon tipped arms reaching around grabbing "parts unknown" to her grandkids.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

docj

• ---
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 06:42:10 PM »
I believe that it was Fox News that reported a few days ago that 58 percent of Americans have a tattoo. They went on to say that to achieve such a percentage means that virtually every adult under 40 has a tattoo. If so, the hiring officers of tomorrow will have different criteria for hiring front desk employees for their businesses.

I think the Fox story was that 45 million people have tatoos.  Assuming that is correct, it would be ~14% of the population, not 58%.  Here's a link: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/25397381/interest-in-ink-flourishes-as-tattoo-taboos-fade
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Quillback 424

• ---
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »
The Fox national news that I was referring to did not give a reference for their numbers and I noticed that Fox 13 that you referenced didn't either. Must be lots of folks with them though.
Larry --  Olathe, Kansas

"Only an insane society would restrict the liberties of healthy people based on the actions of the disturbed." 
John Hayward

Quillback 424

• ---
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2014, 07:26:08 PM »
It appears that a Harris Poll of 2016 adult Americans taken between 1/16 & 1/23, 2012 is the reference for many of the recent reports on tattoos. Harris states in that poll that 21 percent of adults report they have a tattoo which is up from 14 percent in 2008.

Guess this means one should not believe everything they hear... or read.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:33:25 PM by Quillback 424 »
Larry --  Olathe, Kansas

John Hayward

Hosted by Over The Network