Wouldn't a ticket for reckless driving have been sufficient?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I am always curious about how other folks drive their RV's. I sure do like the shiny red color of this motorhome. However, the driver is reported to have driven into a  building in Carson, California.  The driver was then shot and killed by a deputy.

Wouldn't a ticket for reckless driving have been sufficient?

I don't see the building he drove into either. Maybe I am blind too? Was he shot before he wrecked his RV?  We all  know how hard it is to drive when you're dead.

Picture and News Story
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8792181

There has to be much more to the story.  Hopefully, the press will publish it.

This looks like a "Tip Line" report where someone called in and told a reporter "The deputy just shot someone" the reporter ask when and where and why and the calelr said "The guy he shot drove an RV into a building" but that's all he knew.

The key phrase in the story is "It is unclear".

The newspaper then called the police who, of course, said "No comment" mostly because we are taught to say "No comment" very early on when we go to work for the police (I should know) like on day 0.001.

That said I do recall one day telling a reporter for the Detroit News that I could tell him everything I knew abou the story.. I'd read the Free Press.. He decided he could do that for himself and hung up on me :) (Which is exactly what I wanted him to do).

By the way, I was not lying, all I knew of the story was what was in the Freep.

Maybe it takes time to create a cover-up? :eek:

Here is an earlier take on the story where undercover officers almost simultaneously shot at a red pick-up truck they had been following a few miles away. Maybe somebody confused the red  RV with the red pickup truck and shot the wrong person?  It's amazing they are so tight lipped about what really happened.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_21430678/sheriffs-deputies-involved-carson-long-beach-shootings

It just seems scary that any of us could be shot and killed by a deputy and it's summed up as "unclear".

It also seems odd that a criminal type would choose a screaming red RV...  wouldn't you want something a little less noticeable if you were out committing crimes or hiding from the law? 

DearMissMermaid said:
It also seems odd that a criminal type would choose a screaming red RV...  wouldn't you want something a little less noticeable if you were out committing crimes or hiding from the law?

Unless of course you are making meth in the back of that thing and  the color is a sales attraction!  I'll wait for  details to emerge before I get worked up.

DearMissMermaid said:
It just seems scary that any of us could be shot and killed by a deputy and it's summed up as "unclear".

It's only unclear to the media outlet that reported it.  I'm sure plenty of people know what happened, but there is likely an ongoing investigation that prevents the information from being publicly released yet.

The driver was likely shot because he/she posed an immediate deadly threat to the officer or someone else.  Not because he/she drove recklessly.  So in that case... no, a reckless driving ticket would not have sufficed.

Thank all of you for the thoughtful cerebral responses.  " A cover up?"  Maybe in 1952, but in 2012 if the deputy screwed up that badly, the administration of the Department would feed him to the wolves.

Maybe I'm naive, but I figure the LE had to have a reason to shoot the guy and not just that he drove the RV into a building.

Wendy

I have to agree with Sarge, if someone screwed up it will come out.  Like TWA800 they said it was a navy ship that shot it down, but for a few days you could keep it a secret, but when the ship docked, and the crew went on leave the truth would of come out.

Would not be surprised if it had to do with drugs or gun running.  Just the little bit of reading the news from that area, sounds like East New York.

A coverup in 2012.. Well, not 2012 when it happened but just now in Detroit, MI they are reopening an investigation into the death of one Tarama Green.  She was murdered not all that long ago,  Back when Kilpatrick was mayor..  From all I've heard Kwami did not have anything to do with here death. His wife ordered it.  but that still remains to be proved.. The allegation is he covered it up, and I believe that is what happened.

Many many news articles on it over the last few years.

Note to many:  If you have a Mr. Coffee single cup coffee maker that uses "k-cups" check for a recall.. Yet another "Made in China" recall.

Around here they wait 72 hours to first notify the family before putting out details.  If the family are found sooner and notified, then the details come out sooner.  Maybe that's what's happening here.

I am utterly amazed he could be so readily  identified as a parolee at large, by the deputies when it appears from the article, he never showed any ID. 

And why was that other deputy suddenly  in the middle of the  road? 

Well, if anyone is missing their parolee relative in a red RV... check Carson, California...

I just hope it wasn't some old geezer hard of hearing, who misunderstood the officer and paid with his life.

There is just something really strange about this story.

You can find out more here. You drive your RV at a police officer and get shot, it's hard to blame the LE who did the shooting.

Not blaming anybody...  just puzzled over how the story keeps changing.

Scary world!  In Spartanburg SC they recently chased down a mother and her kid and the ensuing chase/wreck killed the kid but it was the mother they were after. Surprised they just didn't shoot to kill her and let the kid live.

It's all just so sad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom