EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 7-Pin Connector  (Read 1869 times)

2006F350

• ---
7-Pin Connector
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:31:31 PM »
When I had my 5W hitch installed, I raised a stink about the dealer putting the 7 pin connector in the bed of my truck as I already had one (factory installed) just below the bumper. Not heading their logic (I didn't want any unnecessary holes in the bed of my 'new' F350 King Ranch), I am now the proud? owner of scuff marks all over the tailgate of my truck. They buff out, but at some point, even when buffed, they will show. Now for the $64,000 question; is there a preferred location in the bed for the connector, or is it mainly wherever it's easiest to mount, and most importantly, are there pre-wired connectors is available with maybe 3 feet of wire, along with the necessary mounting and splicing hardware. So far, I have only found just the plugs. Guess it would work, but then the question becomes what size wire should I use? I would like to keep use of both plugs as on occasion I do pull a flatbed trailer.

Thanx muchly in advance.

Larry
2006 F350 DRW CC King Ranch
6.0L DI, Torque Shift, Power Everything
Camper/Tow Command/Tow Boss Packages (4:30LS Rear End)
13,000 GVW / 26,000 GCWR
Reese Professional 15,000 Lb Fifth Wheel Hitch
2006 Keystone Everest 345S w/4 Slide Outs

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: 7-Pin Connector
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 02:41:12 PM »
Use 10 gauge for the brake wiring and 12-14 gauge for the rest.  Bigger is better when it comes to wiring.

I haven't seen any Pollack-type 7 pin conectors pre-wired with a pigtail - there are too many variations in location and wire length to make pre-packaging useful. Would probably need a pigtail of 10 feet or so to cover 80-90% of installations.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

2006F350

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 02:56:12 PM »
Thanx for the quick response. Guess it's out to Auto Zone or such for 7 10' spools of different color 10 guage wire, a handfull of splices, waterproof goop to seal the splices, then pick a spot, close my eyes and make the 'hole'.

While we were in the Smokies last week, I saw a pre-package thing at a local Wally World in Pigeon Forge, but it must be something special to that store as I couldn't find it on their website, nor in any of the local stores here in Memphis. I put it off as it was already pre-wired with the connector and a plug on the other end, but at the time I didn't know whether or not I had a matching plug on the truck and wasn't ready to drop $40+ bucks on something that may not work as advertised. Found out it would have worked but the matching plug is waaaay up front in the engine compartment and to use it I would have to disconnect the existing plug.
13,000 GVW / 26,000 GCWR

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 08:39:42 PM »
One option is to put together an "Extension" cable, bolt the "outlet" to the 5th wheel mount (no hole drilled in bed) and run the extension back to the original.  There are several ways to protect the cable where it comes up over the bumper and/or tailgate... NOODLES work well for that kind of thing (K-Mart, swimming toys)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

N Smock

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 06:52:37 AM »
I have a GMC 2500 with two connectors one in the bed. Pretty handy. The one in the bed is in the rear rib next to the tailgate. The ribb is hollow so you can snake wires in.

Nelson

VnSr4JC

• ---
    • Wild West Wolves
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 05:15:39 PM »
My local auto store sells heavy duty trailer wire in any # of wire configurtions, (i.e., 3 wire, 5 wire, 7, etc) that has a a heavy rubber coating.  You tell him how many feet you want & he cuts it off a big roll.  Then just hook up your male or female connector to it & your done.
Blessings, Vince & Sally

2006F350

• ---
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 03:17:05 PM »
Really appreciate all the good information. I've also been seriously considering the rear stake pocket area. Looking at what I have, I think my biggest obsticle is that I have a bed liner installed, so it could turn out to be an interesting but doable project.

Thanx again

Larry
13,000 GVW / 26,000 GCWR

Hosted by Over The Network