Dash Computer Information Screen ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve N Dee

This is probably a very specific question to others who own the same MH I have (2005 Journey 34H).  There is a very small computer information screen on the dash provides information.  The problem I have is that the screen is very small!  In addition, the contrast is very poor, sort of a blue on gold readout.  I cannot read anything on this screen unless i get out of the drivers seat, get down on my knees, and put my face less than a foot from the screen looking directly at it.  I can't believe that Winnie would design the screen this way?  Does anyone else have this problem and have you devised any type of a solution?  :eek:

Steve

John:
  That original one is exactly what I have.  I was beginning to think I was going blind!  What a relief.  Now the big question.  All the information you gave me appears pretty old.  Do you know if the product is still available and if the phone numbers are still good? I have an appointment at CW to have another matter taken care of next Friday.  Is this something they could do there?  If yes, could I get the part thru them or do I have to order it on my own?  I'm pretty mechanically incapable! 

Thanks,

Steve

Camping World could probably install it but you will have to order it per Chris's link above.  I prefer to use my VMSpc display on a 7" monitor - I rarely look at or use the Freightliner Info Center.

John,
What are you using for your VMSpc display now? You were using a full size laptop. The only thing that kept me from going that way was the bulkiness of using a laptop. Now I am hoping  Silverleaf will support a Windows tablet this fall.

Steve,
I replaced the info center myself. It was very easy. If the timing for CW does not work I am sure you can do it with the help of a friend with a little more acquaintance with basic tools. You access it from behind by removing the cowl that makes up the front surface of the dash. Not as easy as having someone else do it for you, but still pretty simple.

VMspc gives you oodles of information. A gear heads delight!  There are less comprehensive systems that are combined with other functions, e.g. trip computer. I have a Trip-tek, which uses my dash monitor as its display (I switch between rear camera and info) or you can install a separate one. There are other units like it, e.g. the Scan Gauge II.

Here are a few pics of what can be done with a 7" screen and a VMSpc display.  It works really well.

Attachments

• 0717011322a.jpg
    0717011322a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 0717011323.jpg
    0717011323.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 82
SVTotem said:
What are you using for your VMSpc display now? You were using a full size laptop. ..

Yup - still a full size laptop running a 7" remote display similar to Marty's little display.  The laptop displays CoPilot navigation info.  It's a formula that has worked out extremely well for over 70,000 miles  :D

Wow, people here really do have all the answers  :)  I really like the idea of the VMSpc display.  So if I understand correctly, I would not have to change out the horrible factory screen that is in my dash now?  I could either use a laptop, or I could mount a 7" display on my dash like Marty shows in his pics?  I also like the Trip-Tek that Gary shows.  I like the fact that the info comes overlaid to the camera monitor.  That is what I'm seeing right?  That means no "extra" screens to look at.  Do they both provide the same information that I would get on the useless little screen that's on the dash now?  Sorry for so  many questions  :eek:

Steve

The VMSpc will give you a lot more info than you can get on the little screen.  That is because the VMSpc JIB plugs into the diagnostic port of your rig.  If the vehicle on board computer see's it, the VMS will show it to you.  Here is the link to Silverleaf.  http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/

About half way down on the first page is a model 330.  It displays the info on top of your back up camera display. 

I like the extra screen to display the info, but it does take a laptop or something similar to plug the screen into.  For us, the DW runs a copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips on a laptop computer while we are rolling down the road.  I have it set up on a "Jotto Desk" that holds the computer at her fingertips.  She is the navigator, and that works great for her (and me). 

There are many options on the Silverleaf web site, take a look.

Attachments

• 0717011326a.jpg
    0717011326a.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 0717011326.jpg
    0717011326.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 48
Marty:
  I can really see how your set up works for you being a full timer.  I definitely want to make a change here, but now I want to make sure I do the right thing.  Now that I think about it, the picture quality on my back up camera is not that great and it is not a color monitor.  That said, the overlay idea may not be best.  I just went out and looked at my dash.  The only convenient spot I would have for the 7" monitor would be on the right practically in front of the DW and then angled toward the driver.  I worry this is too far away to be practical.  Is one of the products on the Silver Leaf Electronics link an actual replacement for my monitor that is built into my dash?  If it is, this may be the best way to go.  Can you tell I'm confused  :eek:

Steve

I have had the monitor on the left in my previous rig, and on the right in this one. Either side worked well.  Silverleaf does make a stand alone unit, and that was actually their first business model.  It plugs in the same way, and  you locate the box where ever works for you.  I don't believe that they make a replacement for your back up monitor though.  The PC version is the least expensive, as you would supply the computer.  The others vary in price with features. 

I would love to have it on the left.  I really don't think I have 7" clearance, even at an angle, but I will check. Believe me, I'm no "Rockefeller" when I say I'm really not concerned about the cost.  What I mean is, if I'm going to make a change, I only want to do it once and get what is right for me.  That said, I don't know what is right for me.  I don't own a 7" monitor to see how I would like it.  I guess that leads to this question.  Do I understand that the 7" monitor would have to be plugged into the laptop to work?  Is that how the set up works?

Steve N Dee said:
Do I understand that the 7" monitor would have to be plugged into the laptop to work?  Is that how the set up works?

Yes, that's the simplest and least expensive way.  You set up the 7" display as a second monitor and an extended desktop.  You can also use a much larger display and mount it overhead - several possibilities.  There are also wireless monitor adapters available.

Using the back up monitor for a display does not work very well - I tried it years ago.  There is also a write-up on our RV pages about our laptop Jotto desk install.

The VMspc can display everything that the vehicle knows about itself, i.e. everything available on the engine data bus. YOU select what you want to see, and how it is displayed.  That's why I said it's a gearhead's delight.  Packaged systems like the TripTek make up screens with a subset of the data. It is intended to provide a ready-made solution for those who are less demanding - or just want something that works right out of the box. You can see what is provided on their website, but it is just basic stuff. Triptek is designed to superimpose on another display.

I'm not sure if I want to address this to John or Gary, so if you could both try to give an opinion, I'd appreciate it.  First, I am not a gear head as Gary indicated.  I really don't think I need all the extra information that Silver Leaf provides (even though it's useful).  I am an out of the box and use it kinda guy.  That said, the Trip-tek Gary references sounds like it is the right product for me.  Here's my concern.  As John indicated, the Sony in dash display that is in my MH has terrible resolution and is BARELY useable even as a camera.  As such, if I go with the Trip-tek overlay readouts, will I have trouble reading it?  I am concerned based on John's post and my own feelings about the existing display, however it does appear that it is only white letters.  Would they show up o.k. and be legible??? UGH!

Steve

I'm going to suggest a different approach since I'm not real familiar with Trip Tek.  It sounds like the previously mentioned ScanGaugeII would meet your requirements.  ScanGauge even has a model specifically designed for diesel engined RVs - the ScanGaugeD.  I think the street price on it is around $150-160 and it's getting pretty good reports.  I wouldn't even bother updating your Freightliner Info display - put the money on the ScanGauge.

I run Delorme on my laptop, Kenwood-Garmin & SilverLeaf mounted in my dash & MotionX running on my iPad.

Attachments

• Navigation Dash.JPG
    Navigation Dash.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom