Another Yellowstone Mini Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
On Friday Ken & Sheila Kuch arrived for a visit. We had to work on Friday and Saturday but did get to spend some time Saturday afternoon when we went to West Yellowstone for lunch and to do some errands.

On Sunday, we decided to do a hike. We thought a short one to Fairy Falls might be nice. As usual, the parking lot was jammed so we went to Fountain Flat to approach the falls from another direction. The hike went along the old freight road to the Imperial Meadow trail. We followed that through a mostly open meadow. We had to cross a couple of runoffs from thermal features but they were shallow. We started through an area of open pine forest. Suddenly I spotted two bison bulls grazing in a small meadow just off the trail. One was looking right at us. We were still far enough away as to not spook them. A decision was made to get off the trail a skirt around the bison. Fortunately, they went back to grazing.

It seemed like we were heading away from the ridge line where Fairy Falls was located. This trail did not go in a straight line!!! After about three hours of hiking we finally came Imperial Geyser.  A short stop before the geyser was made to take some nourishment.

We then proceeded back along the trail for .3 miles to the branch that would take us to Fairy Falls. We spent a little time there taking some photos and then proceeded to take the other trail back to the old freight road. This was a little longer but it was a better path.

Overall it took six hours to make the trip and the distance was approximately 9.3 miles!!!! Now that we have done it, we won't have to do it again!! ;D The normal trip to Fairy Falls is about 6 miles round trip. It's a good thing we have three days off this week!!!

Attachments

• Ken, Sheila, & Pat.jpg
    Ken, Sheila, & Pat.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 38
  •  pat negotiating swampy area.jpg
    pat negotiating swampy area.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Sheila leading the way.JPG
    Sheila leading the way.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Stream of Thermophiles.jpg
    Stream of Thermophiles.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Imperial Geyser.jpg
    Imperial Geyser.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Fairy Falls 1.jpg
    Fairy Falls 1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Fairy Falls 2.jpg
    Fairy Falls 2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Firehole River near Fountain Flat.jpg
    Firehole River near Fountain Flat.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Route Map.jpg
    Route Map.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 38
Hey, I was told that this would be a short easy hike! The balance beam through the swamp was easy for me (I cheated and had a hiking pole for added balance).
But it was fun and the falls were worth the hike. Thanks for taking us along.

ken

Jim:  Shirley and I took the easier route.  I guess you are getting into shape.  Neat waterfall.  Here is one of my shots.

Attachments

• IMG_0204 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0204 (Medium).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 23
Ron,

Nice! I may be getting into shape but I thought that hike was going to do me in!! There was a section that really challenged my balance. There were probably twenty or so split logs that we had to negotiate over a swampy area. We all made it but it took a little time.

I'm glad I missed this hike but not glad to have missed the company.  Great photos and  will be seeing you guys soon, just not in Yellowstone.
Betty

Moving contents of refrigerator today
Going to Sandpoint 

Betty,

You would have enjoyed today's shorter hike (2 miles RT). We went out to another one of the falls - Mystic Falls. Yesterday we took a short hike to a couple of geysers, but I had to repeat the hike to retrieve my glasses case that I left on a bench. I'll let Jim post the pictures as I know his are better than mine!

See you in a few days, we are leaving tomorrow for Cody.

ken

It was a nice hike to Mystic Falls. A lot easier than doing the whole loop. ;D Attached are a few photos. Fall is starting to arrive.

The photo of the falls shows some strange rock formations on the right. Would be interesting to find out just how they were formed. I'm guessing some kind of volcanic action thousands of years ago.

Attachments

• Little Firehole River.jpg
    Little Firehole River.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Mystic Falls.jpg
    Mystic Falls.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Ken & Sheila.jpg
    Ken & Sheila.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 16
  • Changing Foliage.jpg
    Changing Foliage.jpg