popup reviews needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hburns

We have a 2003 Jayco 10X popup, purchased it used.  We love the how light weight it is, we have no need for electric brakes, it does not sway or caused us any major problems, other than a very squeaky noise when you hit bumps.  Now we are thinking of upgrading to a larger popup that has the push out dinette for more room.  We are two adults, one boy 12 who wants to start taking a friend, along with a dog or two.  Reading reviews has caused me to go a little crazy, so I joined this forum. I need to know who loves the push out dinette, is it worth it? what brand do you think is best,  and is there much difference in towing with the heavier weight, electric brake issues. We like the security of new ones, but not the price. Gently used will also be good. We live in AZ, any dealers you have used? We tow with a 2003 Ford Expedition 4x4 with 90,000. miles on it. Hopeful it will last with new camper.
Thanks for your time

Hi hburns, welcome to the forum! 
We recently traded our 2011 Coleman Utah for a 32' travel trailer. It was a bit sooner than we planned, but so was our growing family (from 1 grandchild to 3!). The Coleman was just too small when we had the whole family camping with us - even with a tent on site! 
Anyway, we really loved the Coleman Utah - it was a 12' box with a slide out dinette, a small fridge, an indoor gas stove top with 3 burners and a kitchen sink; and a cassette porta-potti.  The quality of the Coleman was superb!  However, the factory that made them went out of business and 2011 was their last year. If you can find one, you can trust the quality!!  Coleman also made the Bayside, which is the same as the Utah with a slightly different floorplan (actually, we originally ordered the Bayside but we couldn't get one due to the closure of the factory).
Caution on the Coleman (or Fleetwood) - they had a problem with their roofs leaking in earlier years; I'm not sure what year it was corrected, but do your research about the roof issue before you buy (just because the seller says the roof doesn't leak doesn't mean it doesn't or won't if it is one with the bad roof).
Good luck!  Let us know what you get!

I love my aliner pop up. It's very quick to pop, maybe 2 minutes. I'll pop it to make lunch or dinner on the road, for example. My main complaint is that the wheel wells are made from something like roof flashing. No strength. I've had two blowouts, one on each side, and each one has destroyed the wheel well and some of the particle board flooring. So I strongly recommend that you be very careful about your tires, and replace them after a few years even if they have lots of tread! I've heard this applies to all rv's in general, since the bigger the RV the bigger the tire, and the more potential for damage when they blow. I pull my Aliner, which is the biggest model they make with a Chevy 1500 pickup with a big engine. For weight, it's like it's hardly there. If I have a lot of cargo, it does affect braking more than just a little, I allow much extra following distance.  My mileage is good, about 15+mpg highway, and I'm usually pretty heavily loaded with photo equipment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom