After-market automatic transfer switch on 2013 Access 31WP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arne

One of the many baffling cost saving "features" on our brand new rig is the absence of an automatic transfer switch.  Hence when a thunderstorm knocked out our camp-site power last night I would have to put on rain gear, and go outside to first  unplug from shore power and then plug in to generator power.  All this to save $80.  Needless to say this is not acceptable, and I will install an after-market transfer switch. 

There are several different brands available on the net.  Having no experience with such switches, I would appreciate advise on the relative merits  of different brands of switches.  Also please tell me about the potential pitfalls in undertaking such a project. 

Edit by John:  changed message icon to Topic Solved

They  are for all practical purposes interchangeable and without any advantages or disadvantages. One thing is to consider whether you want a plastic or metal case. Sometimes the knockouts aren't the correct size or in the right place. Most should have a time delay for generator start.  This is desirable.

If you don't have a surge/power protector now, you might consider one of these combined units.

A combined  unit would be a great idea.  Unfortunately I bought a surge protector last week.

Also, why on earth would Winnebago not install an automatic transfer switch as standard equipment.  The cost savings are trivial.

We have a 2012 Access 26Q - very similar to your rig. Also, no transfer switch.
I have thought about the same modification.
Where do you have room to install it? In the compartment where the outlet is where you plug in the shore power cord for generator use?

Bill

RV manufacturers often do strange things to meet price objectives.  We bought National RV's top-of-the-line gas chassis model in 2002 and it didn't have an auto-transfer switch either. It had as standard every other feature that was optional on other models, yet they "saved" that $80.  I still cannot imagine what was on their mind when they did that.

On the other hand, they have to leave something out if they want to keep the price down, and there just aren't many things that are big ticket items. Can't very well leave out the fridge! So they skimp on a bunch of nickel & dime things, some of which you may not be able to see.

The TS-30 Transfer Switch has arrived.  The (plastic) box should fit in the place in the rig's electric cable compartment.  It will replace the  two standard wiring boxes that are there now.  Installation appears to be fairly straightforward.  However I will delay installation until we return home to Florida in early October.  That way I can take my time and not worry about being disconnected from power while I am working on this project.  I will report back, with pictures when I am done.

Not much to it Arne. You probably currently have the cable connectors for the generator cable and the main breaker panel cable in the existing boxes. Just get an SO cord restraint sized for the shore power cord. Pull the shore power cable out of the pedestal. Open each existing box and disconnect the cable from the receptacle, take the cable connector and lock washer from each box, unscrew the boxes. Then decide which knockouts to use in the transfer switch box. Knock out the knock-outs, install the cable connectors and the cord restraint. Insert the cables into the connectors and cord restraint. Connect the wires to the transfer switch connections. Then screw down the box. Probably a half hours time. You would then have two weeks of convenience and testing, although I don't think there would be any problems if you make sure all connections are tight.

I just finished my installation of the automatic transfer switch.  You were right there was much less to it than I feared. 

The the punch-out holes in the box were in the right locations, and the existing cables were of the right lengths.  However, as usual there were a few snags.
  1.  The 30 Amp power cable needed a 1" diameter hole for its connector.  With a Dremmel tool it was easy to enlarge the hole in the plastic box.
  2.  The hole for the generator cable  was also a little snug.  Again the Dremmel tool came in handy.
  3.  The box came with crimp-on cable connectors.  I left my crimping pliers in Florida, so I had to purchase a new pair.
  4.  I was able to reuse the grounding wires used in the original installation, however installation would have been easier if I had used longer wires.
Since access and visibility were recurring problems, installation was at time frustrating.  I am sure that Winnebago prewired everything before installing the connection boxes in this dark and cramped environment. 

Congrats Arne!  Once in a while I forget a tool and have to buy while on the road - this way I leave the dupe in the coach.

Did you take any pictures?  Can your write up a how-to?

And... does it work? :)

Congratulations, I'm glad you got it done. Murphy plays a big part in tools. I take a lot of tools when on long trips, hardly use any of them. Then I go on a weekend trip and leave most at home and then need most of them. Check your connections after driving down the road, you don't want any loose connections with that much power involved. Transfer switches are a common place for over heating to occur.

I have posted a "how-to" pictorial narrative at:
http://www.thesen.org/Gallery/our-new-rig/installing-an-automated.html

It took me longer to make this narrative than to do the job.

Thanks for posting the pictorial, Arne.  We have a 2012 Access 26QP which also didn't have that $80 transfer switch, so I've been following this thread with interest.  I'm now convinced to make the same improvement to avoid that middle of the night cord swap.

Back
Top Bottom