Trouble shooting - TV turns off when AC turns on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dombodals

2012 Itasca Sunstar 26P.  I've had it for 3 months and am having electrical problems.  The newest problem is when i was living in it during Isaac, generator running, reefer on propane, occasionally when the AC would cycle on, the TV would shut off.  Not every time.  Often no other lights were on - just the tv and ac.  Sometimes other lights or fans were on.  The only time it happened was when the AC was turning on - but not every time the ac turned on.

My other issue has been with the AC and reefer on power.  If the ac was on for a long period of time, it would trip the circuit breaker of where ever I was plugged into.  The dealer is replacing the plug on the electrical cord because one of the prongs is loose.  But this problem would not cause the tv to shut off when the generator is running.

Thoughts?

Thanks.  Donna

The Air conditioner is a major "hit" on the generator when it kicks in, this can cause both voltage and frequency to drop.  If the voltage drops enough the TV says "Good night" and shuts off.. 100% normal for it to do so.

The solution may fall in several areas.

1: Fine tuning or routine tune up of generator
2: cleaning of contacts, (Transfer switch)
3: Tightening loose connections

But the best suggestion I have is 4: IF there is a "Soft start" kit for your air conditioner... Obtain and install.  This reduces the size of the hit the system takes when A/C starts.

Back
Top Bottom