Mini Rally at FMCA Gillette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken & Sheila

Site Team
Terry&Betty, Russ and Us are at the Rocky Mountain FMCA Area Rally in Gillette, WY.
Last night we went out to dinner and then ice cream at DQ.
We arrived Saturday, the rally actually starts tomorrow.

ken

Attachments

• Gillette FMCA RMAA.jpg
    Gillette FMCA RMAA.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 62
This FMCA area Rocky Mountain Ramble Rally is the best one I've ever attended and it has not even started!  We  have full hook ups!  Yep you heard that right, we have 50 amp service water and sewer at our site! Early in the morning we tour the local  coal mines.  Wyoming has the most coal exports of any other state.  After the tour in morning I'm sure I  will have more  important information to share. It feels really good to be traveling with friend Russ M again.  And of course Ken and Sheila keep us in stitches, well mostly Sheila. Ken is  pretty normal.

Sky got black this afternoon and we had a few showers.  But it did not last long.  We eat in tonight with  big plans for eating all week.  Seems all RVForum rallies  revolve around food.  But we do not  have snacks at happy hour.  Look at all the calories we save!

We would like to be there but having just got home from our recent trip there is just too much to do here right now.  We did have a little "almost rally" today when Pat & Jim Dick showed up in Bozeman.  Delightful company for lunch. 

Say Hi to Russ and whoever else shows up from Pat & I.

Betty,

We shouldn't make people jealous of our Full Hookup Rally. Yeah, it's a first for us at a FMCA type rally. (anybody working on Q-site?, just joking)

The Camplex at Gillette has 1,730 RV sites in 6 different parks with at least electric. 1,146 are full hook ups (about 524 are 50 amp)

ken

Russ looks fantastic!  (Sorry, Mahoney wives have to check on him first, it's what we do.)  ;D

OK ... the rest of you look fantastic, too.  Hugs to all of you.  ;D  (And take care of Russ, you two Mahoney Wives!)

Margi

I sure wish we were there. First Rocky Ramble we've missed in years. The Camplex in Gillette is a great facility and all they do is RV rallies. If you're looking for something else to do, there's a nice scenic drive that goes NW to Arvada then loops around and comes out by the airport. There are flyers about it you can pick up at the visitor center. Lots of wildlife on the drive.

Have Fun
Wendy

The Camplex in Gillette is a great facility and all they do is RV rallies.

Not quite true, Wendy. RV rallies are a big part of their business but it's not all of it.

When Escapees held their Escapade there a few years ago we were treated to a spectacular pyrotechnics display one evening.  It was a holdover from a fireworks convention held prior to our arrival, delayed due to weather.

The fireworks convention is an annual trade show where fireworks manufacturers meet with their customers (cities, amusement parks, etc.) to showcase their products.  The nightly displays are some of the best fireworks shows around as the manufacturers show off their best work.

There are several other non-RV events there throughout the year.

And Russ - great to see you on the road again!

Lou Schneider said:
Not quite true, Wendy. RV rallies are a big part of their business but it's not all of it.

There are several other non-RV events there throughout the year.

Ah. That's what they told us last year at the SKP rally. Or maybe they said that it was "built with RVers in mind." Guess they were trying to impress the RVers :)  Anyway, it's a fantastic site for RV rallies and I'm glad it gets used for other stuff, too.

Wendy

Camplex is called a Multi-Event Center and it really is. This rally is only using one of the two primary buildings, the other Building had multiple events both weekends. There is also a horse track and rodeo along with the required horse facilities. The building the rally used, Wyoming Center, has one end (1/3) that becomes their Ice Rink and Hockey Arena in the winter.

Tonight was the last night of the rally. The entertainment, Hands in Harmony, was great (at least according to those who can actually hear music).

Tomorrow Russ heads to Oregon and the Brewers and us start our way to the Shawnee, OK rally. Tomorrow's stop is Carhenge.

ken

As Ken stated,  the entertainment tonight was a highlight of this rally.  While entertainment in the  3 preceding nights was not  to our liking,  (nor to the many many who left those evenings early) tonight we did not see anyone leave early.  This is  a first for us at a big rally to NOT see people leaving during the show.  The dozen or so  children  ranged in ages from  5 to  16.  They  used  sign language to tell their musical stories from the Western expansion to the USA military.  The music was "piped in"  and the performers used sign language and dance to express the lyrics of the music.  One of my favorite songs was one done to say be kind to everyone and it addressed  bullying  in life.  The little kids were so cute and talented.  Our FMCA group had eyes glued to them as we tapped our feet.  Their message sure  gave hope for America.  They even did a political number...."Alvin the Chipmunk for President! 

We learned the universal sign for friendship and we joined fingers to show  our affection for one another!

So another rally under our belts.  I really enjoyed this one.  It was really good to see Russ " on the road again."  and we  enjoyed the entire thing. 

Off in the  morning!  Glad to have RVForum audience to share our experiences.

Betty,

I'm glad to hear nobody left early during that performance. It always amazed me that, in many of the FMCA rallies, folks seemed to start leaving within 15 or 20 minutes of the performance. I know that is frustrating to the performers as well as those sitting in the audience trying to enjoy the show. I wish those not interested in the show would not attend.

Jim,

I actually did leave one of them. It was list as a performance by an Army Band. It was, except is was an Army Rock Band -Very Loud - with my hearing condition I just couldn't stand the noise level. I just can't handle really loud music (it does even sound like music to me).

ken

Ken,

It certainly is acceptable to leave under some circumstances. I, too, left a concert with a loud rock band in a very small hall. It was Tommy James and the Shondelles(?) It was loud to start and he kept telling the soundman to turn up the volume.

Not too many FMCA shows have been that loud when we used to attend.

There are a few restaurants in town featuring music on certain nights.  We won't go then, as the rooms are small and the band has to amplify themselves to the extreme, when without amplifiers they would shine brilliantly.  We went once and walked out before our meal was served, as we could not hear ourselves think.  Why do bands think they are the most important thing going, when people would just rather carry on a conversation with soft music in the background? 

Daisy

That's one of my pet peeves -- and is part of why I always have earplugs in my pocket. A number of years ago we went to the Grand Old Opry, and performances were so loud (hurt my ears a lot) that I had to wear the earplugs just to be able to stay in the balcony 9or in the hall at all). I run into this in restaurants (we generally don't return, sometimes even walk out), stores (especially with electronics sales) and a number of other places, even some outdoor arenas. It sure limits the places we can enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom