Alaska or Bust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We overnited at Westend Rv Park in Fort Nelson, BC.  There was an outside RV wash in the CG, so we were able to wash some of the bugs of the front of the 5'er.  Dragonflies, horseflies, and bees are bad.

We're in Downtown RV Park in Watson Lake, YT. SKP'er Park with FHU, wifi, and cable.  We have no Direct Tv, But have Hughes Net.  The drive from Dawson Creek is total awesome.  It has a little bit of everything.  Snow-covered mountains, and patches of snow on the ground.  Trickling streams, glass smooth lakes, and rushing rivers.  Sheep and buffalo were on the road, like the road signs stated.  And there are some 8,9, and 10% grades. 

Something hit the 5'er tire on the way here, and we limped into town.  We were able to buy a tire, and get it changed before they closed.  We feel very fortunate that we didn't end up on the no shoulder, shoulder of the road.

We went searching the sign forest for the forum sign,  but we gave up because the horse flies were biting, and the bugs were really bad.  IThe sign forest  is very cool.  The road here is lined with American banners and flags, and well as Canadian.  And the fire in Teslin was started by fireworks.

It was raining on June 21nd when we left TC, and it rained about an hour the other mor'n.  Other than that we have had beautiful weather. Temps as low as 38 at night, and 90 during the day.  Just wonderful sunny days.

Very Grateful for all that we have had to enjoy.
Heading for Whitehorse, YT

Let the Adventure Continue
Barb

We spend a couple of days in Whitehorse.  A very friendly RV town.  They have an RV route thru town, signs for RV parking.  And RV parking at the visitor center.  We stayed at MacKenzie's RV Park, which had cable and an rv wash. 5 minutes for a toonie.  And a good sams discount.  We had to buy a fuel filter for the PU. Dealership said we're the 4th ones this week with fuel problems.  They suspect bad diesel.  We've been buying all our fuel with our credit card, so we have receipts.

They have been working on the road putting down cold patch. (hwy 2)  And there's no shoulder.  Many lakes with great views.  We spotted a wolf and bald eagle.

The weather had cooled down 30d, and we've had rain off and on.  We are in Dawson City Rv Park tonite.  $1.00 off esso fuel, free wifi, and a well stocked store.  They keep the bread in the freezer.  Sites are very small. They are backin, side to side sites.  Large rigs w/slides take up 4 sites.

We have no cell service, (cingular),  direct tv, tv, or hughes net.  We're heading to the Valdez Glacier Campground tomorrow, after we ride the ferry.  This should be interesting.

Barb

The ferry was a piece of cake.  Hwy 9 (top of the world), sr-5 (taylor hwy), sr-1 (glenn hwy tok cutoff) and sr-2 (Alaska hwy) were all under con strution, and very rough. Wee overnited in a parking area for cross-country skiing.  The last 50 miles on the Richardson hwy was paved and smooth.  The drive thru Keystone Canyon is awesome.  There are large viewing areas off the road for Bridal and Horseshoe falls.

Arrive at Eagle's Nest Cg & Cabins.  They had a potluck with fresh caught salmon for $7.95.  We're in what they call a supersite.  30A, back-in, wide enough for the slides and to park the Pu along side. They have a fuel discount, but i don't know what it is.  Free wifi and cable.  And rv washing is ok. $35 , and it's a GS park.

Tuesday July 11, we took the Stan Stephens Glacier & Wildlife Cruise in the Prince William Sound. (tour saver coupon - don't tear out).  The campground made the arrangements, they tore out the coupon.  The shuttle bus picked us up at the cg, and if was a short ride to the pier.  The 6.5 hr tour was $85, and a 9 hr hour is also available.  They served lunch of Clam chowder, with a bagel, cream cheese, Oreo cookies, lemonaide or water.  We sawSteller Sea Lion, Sea Otter, Humpback Whale, Horned Puffin Birds, and 3 Bald Eagles.  We stopped to watch Pink Salmon fisherman bring in their catch. And a Bald Eagle show off his fishing skills by snatching a fish out of the water.  The Captain did and excellent job, piloting the boat, as well as narrating while we cruised out to Columbia Glacier.  We learned how glaciers were formed, saw floating glacier ice and dirty ice.  He talked about the Exxon Valdez oil spill, and some history of the area, earthquakes, the pipeline, as well as Valdez.

It Was A Totally Excellent Day

There's one grocery store, and it takes your safeway card. (it's where the eagles hang out at night, so says the captain)  It's pretty good.  Diesel is $3.31.  We're off  to see some Indian Carvings, and tour the museum today, July12th.

Everything is a very Lush Green.  It's a pretty cool place.  Heading for Palmer Ak, tomorrow.

Barb

Barb said:
Tuesday July 11, we took the Stan Stephens Glacier & Wildlife Cruise in the Prince William Sound. (tour saver coupon - don't tear out).? The campground made the arrangements, they tore out the coupon.? The shuttle bus picked us up at the cg, and if was a short ride to the pier.? The 6.5 hr tour was $85, and a 9 hr hour is also available.?
It Was A Totally Excellent Day

Barb,
  Can't wait.  We also learned not to tear out coupons but have had no problems!  Excellent report.  It seems you are covering lots of ground in a short time. How was weather?
Betty

Barb

We will be in the Kenai for the next three weeks or so.  Keep us posted as to where you are and hopefully we can get together.  Great report on Valdez. 

Some Corrections..........

First CG discount we had was .03 a gal. not a $!.00 off.  Eagle's Nest in Valdez does not offer a fuel discount anymore.  And don't use their car wash...it's a waste of $6.00.  Also it's Bridal Veil Falls, and Horsetail Falls in the Canyon.

Since Palmer is only 40 miles from Anchorage, we just kept on go'n.  Stopped a Golden Nugget, but they didn't have a site we could fit on.  We're at Crestwood Inn, for 3 days.
They have wifi, free for the moment,and cable.  The hwy was ok,  2 constructions waits, of 20 each. And we had a partly sunny day, about 75d.  Saw 2 bald eagles playing in the sky,and a wolf. 

We had cell service in Tok, Valdez, and Anchorage. (cingular)  NO Direct TV, or Hughes Net.

We're gonna fool around in Anchorage for a few days, than head for Kenai.

Barb

Barb said:
We're gonna fool around in Anchorage for a few days, than head for Kenai.

Barb,
Do the Trolley Car ride for $10 and allow  lots of time at the  Native Cultural  Center .  The Museum in town is another good one.  Have fun.

Betty

It was cold, damp, and raining in Anchorage.  We moved down to Homer on Sun July 16Th.  We checked out some of the parks, and they all looked like packed sardines.  There is dry camping for a fee on the spit, but Frank likes electric, so we splurged and we are at Heritage RV Park. GS, w/ tax $62.50 a nite.  For 50A backin FHU, w /wifi & cable. We have a fantastic view on 3 sides.  Kachemack Bay, volcanoes, float planes, ships, and best of all eagles landing right in the park. The tide comes and out daily, so everything is built on a boardwalk on stilts.  It's a pretty neat town.  The museum (rv parking is available but very tight with toad), is next to the visitor center, and across the street from the safeway.  Diesel is $3.03, and the Petro is rv friendly.

We did the 3 driving tours, and i think the east end road, was the only one worth while.  Several exceptional views. And one got some offroad practice when the road turn gravel.  It was like Pucker Pass.  It's a dead end, but it just as much fun coming back.

We took the Homer Ocean Charter wildlife cruise. (tour saver 2/4).  About 3 hrs, including lunch.  We left the boat for the restaurant, and had a really really great lunch of a very lg burger, or beer batter halibut. Soup or salad, and dessert included.  Drinks and tip extra.  We were out in Kachemack Bay, and the captain got a report of killer whales, but they were gone by the time we arrived.  We stopped at gull island, and watched the ocean birds for a few minutes.  There is a halibut fishing derby going on in Homer, so we watched the fishermen for a while too. Very interesting.  All in all is was a nice cruise and a great day.

Heading for Seward tomorrow July 19Th.
Barb

For $62.50/night, I'll think we'll go to the Elk's club for $5/night for boondocking.

We left Homer, and we are now a the Seward City Park with the Brewer's and Russ.  Very nice park.  E/W, 50A, back in for $25. 360d of beautiful view.  We enjoyed the SeaLife Center very much.  Great hands on place for the kids.  The movie we saw on Sperm Whale was educational, and well as enjoyable.  It's cool, damp and rainy, but there was a beautiful sunset the other nite.  And there is something mystic and romantic when the mountains are cloud covered like they were last night.  Our tour was canceled yesterday due to 11 foot seas.  So we're gonna try to do that today.  And take a ride up to exit glacier tomorrow. 

Here's a few pic from our travels.

Barb
Sperm Whale 1...Fisherman 0
the whales are learning to steal the fish off of the lines

Attachments

• Alaska Hwy 4 Valdez, AK.JPG
    Alaska Hwy 4 Valdez, AK.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 39
  • Eagle has landed.JPG
    Eagle has landed.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 38
  • Eagle in the RV Park.JPG
    Eagle in the RV Park.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Frank 06-2006 Bow Falls, Alberta, Canada.JPG
    Frank 06-2006 Bow Falls, Alberta, Canada.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Graffiti mountain.JPG
    Graffiti mountain.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 34
Great pictures.  Glad you enjoyed the Sea Life Center.  You are right it is great for kids.  Glad they cancelled the boat trip because eleven footers aren't fun at all for most people.  Hopefully when you go they will be able to take you out to Aialik Glacier because of all the glaciers we have seen that is my favorite. Look forward to seeing all of you at Kenai.

We were able to take the tour. Really Really Great!!!!!!!.  It was still raining, but the seas were calmer.  We saw humpback whales, sea lions, and otters.  And an eaglet in a nest.  Pretty Cool.  But best of all was the caving.  Fantastic..........The captain was pretty sure a section of the glacier was gonna fall, and we waited around till it did.  Just beautiful.  It rained the whole time we were in Seward, but we still had some great view of the mountains and water.  Very nice rv park.  City of Seward Waterfront Park.

We are in Kenai with Terry & Betty, Ned & Lorna, and Russ, at Beluga  Lookout Lodge. It has stopped raining. And the sun is a shinning.  Lorna and I went to the visitor center, and watch another version of the earthquake movie, and walked thru the museum, and art gallery.  I broke my vacuum, so we were off to Fred Meyers for a new one, and spotted a young moose grazing by the side of the road.

Betty and Terry told us how great the Burger Bus Burgers were, so we had them for dinner.  And pretty good they were too.

We had a ice cream social last niter. Down by the water. I think a very good time was had by all.  There was 2 eagles sitting in the grass enjoying the view, and the salmon were jumping about 10 feet from shore.

Ned, Lorna, Russ, Frank, and I went to Breakfast.  It was very good. Gonna work on getting some more of the gunk of the rig, from that horrible road. And maybe take a scenic drive today.  Frank and I are heading towards Denai tomorrow.

Gonna Miss Being With Framily

Barb

We left Bluga Lookout Fri, the 28th with Ned & Lorna. After a minor problem with their toad, and us fixing brakes and replacing a tire, had a beautiful drive to Palmer.  Lorna spotted some sheep on the hillside, and a mamma moose and calf by the side of road.  I was checking my lids for leaks. 

We are at the Elks Lodge with a 30A site.  Very nice lodge.  After happy hour we had dinner on the patio of the lodge.  Prime rib, and halibut was the specials, and the food was excellent.  It was a little cool, but what a view.  We sat overlooking the lake.  We watched the ducks swimming, fish jummping, and an eagle flying over.  We had a wonderful eveing, after a beaufilul shinny day.

We woke up to another rainy day. BoHoooo!...But i can see a swift flowing creek out my back window as i type this.  We have 5 tv stations, and thanks to Ned, internet.  Life is Good

Barb

We went to the Alaska Native Heritage Center yesterday July 29th. Which is in Anchorage.  A must do.  There's the Gathering Place, which the have dance performances, and storytelling. Theatre, which the movie start every 1/2 hr. and cover a variety of subjects.  In which the name of the movie and the showing time is posted.  There is a very well laid out small museum. The village sites, a self guided tour, or guided which has very well written signage and knowable students to answer questions at most sites. And restroom along the path, which is a very easy walk. There is an outside coffee shop, and a cafe.  Native Americans selling there wares. And inside has a small snack stand and typical gift shop.  There is a large parking lot around the back for buses and rv's.  It had stopped raining, so we did the village sites first.  Than watch the dancers for a while.  Walked the museum, than the movie about whales.  Had a snack. Spent money at the gift shop, and left.  It was a great experience, and a wonderful day.

We had happy hour at Ned & Lorna's. In which we saw a slide show of some of their travels.  Before we knew it, it was 8:00  and we hadn't eaten dinner yet.  To coin a phrase from Betty, we had the must-gos from the refrigerator

Currently at the Elks Club in Palmer,Ak
Barb.

Talkeentna,  cute tourists town.  We were at the Talkeetna RV Park.  Small park, but the sites are wide enough for 3 slide rv's, 30A w/e and a place to park the pu.  The Talkeetna depot of the Alaskan Railroad is behind the cg.  Very entertaining, and train noise is not a problem.  We took the evening boat tour.  With the sun still shinning, the clouds gave way, and guess what was behind  them standing very tall and very majestic........Mt McKinley........Amazing, what a site.

Next stop Riverside RV Park, a SKP'er park, Denali.  30A w/e. 0 TV, and RADIO stations. We were on the river.  We watcher rafter's every day.  We took the 53 mile afternoon trip into the park.  The mam ma grizzly and cub was the highlight of the trip.  The next day, we flew to the mountain.  I've only been on one very short plane ride, so this was quite an experience for me.  Indescribable!!!!!!!!  The beauty of the mountain is spectacular.  We was not  impressed with the world famous Salmon Bake, and I would give Rosie's Diner in Healy one *.

We are currently in Chena Marina RV Park, in Fairbanks. FHU, w/30A. and cable. Now that i have cable, i have realized i really didn't miss tv.  Just off the float plane pond. Wonderful view.  We grubbed up, hit walmart, and did some laundry yesterday. 

Today is Aug, 7, and it's Frank's birthday.  Gonna start the day making him a Cherry Pie, and more laundry.  Than we are off on a hunt for pocket t-shirts, and to the North Pole to be tourists again.

Barb

Attachments

• Frank 06-2006 Bow Falls, Alberta, Canada.JPG
    Frank 06-2006 Bow Falls, Alberta, Canada.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Kenai.JPG
    Kenai.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Mt McKinley.JPG
    Mt McKinley.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Mt McKinley -aerial2.JPG
    Mt McKinley -aerial2.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Denali Caribou 2.JPG
    Denali Caribou 2.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 35
Happy Birthday Frank.  Glad you guys got to see the mountain and sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

Barb said:
.? We took the evening boat tour.? With the sun still shinning, the clouds gave way, and guess what was behind? them standing very tall and very majestic........Mt McKinley........Amazing, what a site.

Barb,
You lucky devils!  So glad  you got to see McKinley. Wish old bad boy Frank a very Happy Birthday from us  We are in Ninilchik  with sunny skies and blue seas.  Life is good.
Betty

Back
Top Bottom