EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Home made whiffletree  (Read 4397 times)

gashog

• ---
Home made whiffletree
« on: September 11, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »
I just fabricated a replacement whiffletree for my 2000 Niagara. I don't want to say how I've been popping it up for the last 4 years. You all would never take me seriously again!  :)
I took a phone pic that I'll get attached, but basically, I re used the yoke by smashing and grinding out the original nut and inserting a 3/4" x 10 nut. I cut a piece of 3/4" threaded rod, ground the threads off one end, and drilled and roll pinned the other. I bought a bearing and flanges and caged it in with another nut and a washer.

I searched and I don't see that anyone else has claimed to have done it on any forum.
I guess it's on me to post what I did.

I will return with a picture.  8)

Edit: Too tired to figure out how to BB code in an image.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E-cSAyKv2VM/UE_Xyd7jNII/AAAAAAAAC0U/9Xr08PZiQyk/s621/2012-09-11_19-42-23_440.jpg

Staff edit: Fix URL - embedded images aren't allowed

Edit #2: the rod isn't bent. That's the stitching app on my phone creating a pan out of the pics I took.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:51:06 PM by gashog »

SolomonMan

• ---
Re: Home made whiffletree
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »
All,
I am not sure if its been mentioned or not but "new" replacement whiffle gears for Coleman Campers are available from Canvas Replacements out of Loyal,Wisconsin. I bought mine about 2 yrs ago.

I purchased mine for around 150 dollars if I remember correctly including shipping. I have replace my whiffle gear in my popup twice. Once with a Coleman replacement (bearing type - well over 300)....never again...and this second one. The second one uses a Brass Nut that it rides on a whiffle gear.

The only thing I can say bad about it was the fact I have a electric lift and the whiffle gear was ever so slightly shorter. I believe about the width of a fiber blade. I was able to correct by taking a small section of the cone off that the electic lift motor rides on. About the width of a fiber blade.

Just my two cents,
Chris

Hosted by Over The Network