Home made whiffletree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gashog

I just fabricated a replacement whiffletree for my 2000 Niagara. I don't want to say how I've been popping it up for the last 4 years. You all would never take me seriously again!  :)
I took a phone pic that I'll get attached, but basically, I re used the yoke by smashing and grinding out the original nut and inserting a 3/4" x 10 nut. I cut a piece of 3/4" threaded rod, ground the threads off one end, and drilled and roll pinned the other. I bought a bearing and flanges and caged it in with another nut and a washer.

I searched and I don't see that anyone else has claimed to have done it on any forum.
I guess it's on me to post what I did.

I will return with a picture.  8)

Edit: Too tired to figure out how to BB code in an image.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E-cSAyKv2VM/UE_Xyd7jNII/AAAAAAAAC0U/9Xr08PZiQyk/s621/2012-09-11_19-42-23_440.jpg

Staff edit: Fix URL - embedded images aren't allowed

Edit #2: the rod isn't bent. That's the stitching app on my phone creating a pan out of the pics I took.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-X-fc8zEZ4TU/UFFbX-do8qI/AAAAAAAAC0k/1Te_UdAotWo/s0-d/2012-09-12_18-25-51_710.jpg

All,
I am not sure if its been mentioned or not but "new" replacement whiffle gears for Coleman Campers are available from Canvas Replacements out of Loyal,Wisconsin. I bought mine about 2 yrs ago.

I purchased mine for around 150 dollars if I remember correctly including shipping. I have replace my whiffle gear in my popup twice. Once with a Coleman replacement (bearing type - well over 300)....never again...and this second one. The second one uses a Brass Nut that it rides on a whiffle gear.

The only thing I can say bad about it was the fact I have a electric lift and the whiffle gear was ever so slightly shorter. I believe about the width of a fiber blade. I was able to correct by taking a small section of the cone off that the electic lift motor rides on. About the width of a fiber blade.

Just my two cents,
Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom