suggestions for a replacement toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rixster

We just recently purchased a 2012 Heartland Cyclone 300C toyhauler.  We like it very much but have already changed a few things that we didn't care for.  One area we are still not pleased with is the toilet.  It came with a Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II (model #40254) and we would like something with a larger seat.  This one has a seat 14.5" wide by 15.5" long and is more "rounded" in shape.  Our previous trailer had a seat that was more "elongated" and accepted a residential sized seat when I replaced it once.  Unfortunately I do not know what manufacture that was. 

What we are looking for is one that has a larger seat, both longer and wider, as well as a deeper bowl.  One I have been looking at is the Sealand 510 but it is unclear in all the discriptions if it is in fact larger in the seat or accepts a residential size seat.  All the specs, i.e. measurements are for the total length and do not differentuate from total length to seat length.  I spent two hours researching old posts last night without finding the answer so I decided to just go ahead and ask.  The current toilet is a 2 bolt and  sets 4" from the back wall and the water line is 3" from the back wall.  There is 3.5" on both sides as it is a snug fit between the shower and side wall.  I need one with a right hand foot pedal (as you are facing it) because any maintenance etc. would have to be done from that side through the entry door.
If it extended further out that would be a plus.  Thank you for any suggestions you might have. 

This is the best place I have found so far for replacement toilets. I will be ordering the one I am linking to next month. It might not work for you but they do have a large selection, low prices and fast shipping. I bought a toilet for my previous RV from them and was very happy.

http://www.rvpartwholesaler.com/servlet/the-26/Thetford-Aqua-Magic-IV/Detail

If you go to this SITE
you can download a chart that shows which Thetford and Sealand toilets replace the one you have. It gives some dimensions of the various models and indicates which ones are direct replacements. Of course the water line might have to lengthened or shortened.

I opted for the Bravura. It has been in use for about several years now and been trouble free.
It is a much thicker molding than my old AquaMagic IV and is much sturdier. The bowl is deeper and longer than the old one.

Also, instead of cables it uses rods in the flushing mechanism. The cables were the weak link in my AquaMagic.

Thank you Gary.  That does not appear to be really any larger than what we have.  I wish I knew what our old Gulf Stream had as we where happy with that.  The Thetford we have does not afford much room to do the paper work.  I hated to get that graphic but I guess there is no delicate way to talk toilets.  The bowl is also not all that deep either.  I know on our old one we replaced the plastic seat with a nicer wooden one and had to get the residential elongated style.  This bowl is more rounded and I don't think a residential seat would fit.  All of the literature for the Sealand-Dometic states it uses a "regular residential seat".  That said, is it that the outside measurements are all similar and the difference is the inside?  I am in hopes the 310 is the one but after getting your measurements now I am not sure.  We like the idea of the jets around the lip of the bowl vs. the the 4 or so jets bunched together at the back of the Thetford.  I never thought a toilet would be this big a deal in our lives, but we our new to this rv thing, this being our first full summer with it. 

You should look at this one:
http://www.thetford.com/home/products/permanenttoilets/ariadeluxeii/tabid/82/default.aspx

ken

Well, you have the same toilet that I do.  Before you look at any other toilet, check your available space. The big thing for me, and why I still have the Style II, is the footprint.  I am dealing with a minimal amount of floor space available for the footprint of the toilet.  I replaced the toilet seat on mine with a standard residential seat.  It made the comfort of the seat acceptable.  Any residential seat should fit fine if you stay with the general shape of the bowl. 

The big problem that I had is the flaky nature of the toilet seals. Both the blade seal and the water valve seal have been replaced numerous times (by me).  So make sure that you will have the room to replace the current toilet, measure the floor space you have, and the distance from the wall and any other obstructions, like floor vents.  Then make your decision. 

Hi guys, I'm about to replace my old toilet that went slow upon flushing. And I'm thinking of replacing it with a different brand. Mine's Kohler and I've read https://www.jenreviews.com/best-toilet/ about the TOTO toilet brand which seems good. But I'd like to know the opinion of those who already has it at home. Have you guys encountered problems with the same brand and how much does it cost? Your replies would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

jessivelasco said:
Hi guys, I'm about to replace my old toilet that went slow upon flushing. And I'm thinking of replacing it with a different brand. Mine's Kohler and I've read https://www.jenreviews.com/best-toilet/ about the TOTO toilet brand which seems good. But I'd like to know the opinion of those who already has it at home. Have you guys encountered problems with the same brand and how much does it cost? Your replies would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Jesse, since you said it flushes slow I will assume you are talking about a residential toilet instead of an RV toilet. The number one reason that toilets have a slow flush is the holes under the rim of the bowl get a buildup of minerals. That reduces the force needed to get the water swirling and can be easily fixed by spraying a toilet bowl cleaner directly on the holes or physically unstopping them with a tool of sorts. I know it is a messy job but no worse than replacing a used toilet.
    In my opinion Kohler makes some of the best toilets on the market, along with American standard and a few others. I cant recommend Toto since they have become popular since I stopped working as a plumber. One thing to look at is the size of the passageway in the bowl trap, we found out that the cheaper ones have such a small pathway that they stopp up easily especially with children....Good luck and welcome to the forum

jessivelasco said:

One other thing to look at when you say slow flushing. I had an issue a while back and it may be the same as yours. I had a toilet that would drain slowly and many times it would plug up. I was about to throw it away. I removed it and took it outside and turned it upside down. Low and behold, I found a plastic comb up inside. One of my granddaughters was combing her hair and it fell in and she didn't say anything to anyone and just flushed it. Being so long it wasn't able to make the trip around the bend.

Had the same thing happen back in the day.  My 3 year old son said, "Maybe it was a truck". 
Yup, a Hot Wheels truck.

Back
Top Bottom