Advice on selling a used HMC motor home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
A buddy of mine is preparing to sell his 1989 HMC motor home.  It needs a bit of TLC inside and out.  As far as I know, everything works.  It is surprisingly well appointed for an older coach.  He bought it on a whim, and only used it a few times before he parked it for about a year (thus the TLC part).  It's got about 98K miles. 

I don't know a lot about this brand of RV, or what a reasonable asking price is.  Any of you folks with experience with an older coach have any suggestions? 

Hawkins (HMC) was a quality brand in its day, but for any coach that old, condition is the only criteria. Any motorhome that runs and is pretty functional is probably worth $3500-$5000 and maybe somewhat more if in sound condition and well-maintained, with only minor cosmetic issues.

But if it needs generator work or has a questionable fridge, the price would drop far and fast.  Needing a set of tires (big $$) would also cause a significant price drop

Thanks Gary.  I do have some photo's Ernie, but they were taken about 2 years ago when it had just been detailed.  So it's not really representing what it looks like now after sitting for a year.

I am a potential buyer of a Hawkins.  We plan to take it to Mexico where we have a home and take advantage of the ten year permits so we can just keep it there and make little 200-300 miles trips up an down the Pacific Coast.  I wanted a Hawkins because of solid hardwood interior that will be more resistant to the tropical wood eating pests that destroyed a tent trailer we took down there.  I also wanted a Hawkins because of word of mouth that there chasis/body were better constructed, so I think that they may hold up to the rough roads a bit better than some units.  My budget is in the 6000-8000 range including any new tires an older rig needs.
The questions I have are 1) is it a good assumption that a Hawkins on a F53 460 chassis (1989 with 49k) or the Chevy 454 chasis (1985) with 8,000 miles, no tag on either, ARE actually physically stronger units in terms of rough roads than say a 1997 Pace Arrow Vision?
Also we have seen 1989 Fleetwood Limited's (120k miles w/460), also with solid wood interiors.  Any opinions on their durability as an overall motorhome?
My previous motorhome experience was with my father 26 foot GMC which I liked very much, but my wife won't consider it.
Thanks, new guy on the block,
Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom