Is it safe to use a previously used water filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggermike

Several months ago I went on a trip that was cut short because one of my dogs got sick.  I used a new water filter for two days before we had to pack up.  I stored the filter in the MH, and I'm wondering if the filter is safe to use now that I'm ready to go again? 

I reuse my external and internal filters from year-to-year and have had no problems.
I ensure that I flush the filter well and it performs OK.

The functional life of a filter depends on the source water quality and the volume that you use.
We can tell when the filter begins to fail by the taste and smell of the spigot water.

Well I would hope so, we reuse ours over and over for at least six to eight months and have seen no ill effects from it yet.  Alan

The store-bought filters I used to buy (for RV drinking water from a dedicated spigot) were rated for 1 year or a certain # gallons.  It was printed on the packaging.  I never got close to the gallons, so I just replaced every year or occasionally longer... never had any problems.  I wouldn't think that a few months in storage would cause you any problems.

Under normal circumstances no bacteria will grow in a pure water system. It would need to be introduced from a contaminated source.

Tip:  When you have to remove a fairly new filter element, such as for winterizing, and don't want to throw it away; store it in the freezer until Spring and re-install. That way you can be assured that it stayed fresh. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom