Scanning color slides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I'm itching to get going with my new slide/film scanner and have a boxes of 35mm color slides to start scanning. I also have lots more on the way from the attic at my parents' house.

Is there an optimum resolution for scanning slides, given the tradeoffs which include file size and quality of the resulting image?

Good topic Tom,

We must have 2-3 thousand slides and I would like to convert a number of them to DVD's.? I hope they scan so they look like they did when shown on the screen.? Let us know how happy you are with the scans.  Our 8.5 X 11 flat bed scanner takes film and slides but the poor quality of the results does not make it worth the time.

Hi Len and Jo. I haven't yet tried to scan any slides, but here's some initial results & questions from my attempt to scan B&W film negatives.

Tom,

I hope the majority of your slides aren't too old. I just scanned a bunch from my Navy days and they have lost a lot of the color. :( I wish I had been able to do it about 30 years ago!!!

Jim Dick said:
I just scanned a bunch from my Navy days and they have lost a lot of the color.

Oh, that's too bad Jim. I'm crossing my fingers.

Jim:

I have found many of the slides and negatives have lost their resolution, but many can be recovered in Photoshop to an acceptable level for some uses, but most won't make it back to an exhibit.  The biggest problems with old slides are dust and scratches.  Most of this can be removed either by filtering in Photoshop or by cloning.  If I can find a good example, I'll post it.

Ron from Big D said:
Jim:

I have found many of the slides and negatives have lost their resolution, but many can be recovered in Photoshop to an acceptable level for some uses, but most won't make it back to an exhibit.  The biggest problems with old slides are dust and scratches.  Most of this can be removed either by filtering in Photoshop or by cloning.  If I can find a good example, I'll post it.

Ron,

Scratches and dust are fairly easy to remove with a good scanner but the color just doesn't come back as good as the original. I found many of my slides had a very bluish cast compared to what I remember from the original. Of course my memory has faded to some degree. :) :) :) :) I do remember a couple of slides vividly and the reds just aren't as bright.

Back
Top Bottom