GMAC no longer writes insurance for fulltimers in TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Visited the Camping World in Mesa Az today.  Was handed a sale flyer that had a bright Pink slip attached that indicated that if I would get an insurance quote from the in store GMAC agent they would give us a free copy of the latest Exit Source (formally exit authority).  Never hurts to compare insurance rates so Ron set down.  We get through the Motorhome information, I answer the question regarding fulltimer as yes, flunked next question: Where is the motorhome licensed.  I answered Texas.  The agent simply pulled the quote application out of the tablet as he said "sorry we don't write insurance for fulltimers in texas"  Ron Says OK if thats the way it is guess thats the way it is.  May I have my copy of the Exit Source.  He says NO.  Ron says I kept my part of the deal it isn't my fault your company won't writefulltimers in Tx.  Agent says "You  are absolutly correct" as he hands me the free copy promised.

Looks like being a fulltimer in Texas could get difficult if the insurance companies keep pulling away from writing insurance for fulltimers in TX.

Fulltimer insurance in TX has always been a bit problematic.  TX has some stringent rules about who can write insurance there.  I don't believe this is anything new.

Ned said:
Fulltimer insurance in TX has always been a bit problematic.? TX has some stringent rules about who can write insurance there.? I don't believe this is anything new.

I know it isn't a new problem but seem like more and more insurance companies are dropping writing fulltimers insurance there,  Last I knew, before today, GMAC wasn't one of them.

Ron,

Ron said:
Ned said:
Fulltimer insurance in TX has always been a bit problematic.  TX has some stringent rules about who can write insurance there.  I don't believe this is anything new.

I know it isn't a new problem but seem like more and more insurance companies are dropping writing fulltimers insurance there, Last I knew, before today, GMAC wasn't one of them.

Ned is right.  We were cancelled on full timers insurance by GMAC several years ago now.  I don't remember how long for sure, but it is at least 2 or 3 years ago that this happened.

Don,

I thought you were still with GMCA.  I do know that we had to change insurance carriers last year too.  Still if insurance companies keep pulling out the ones left will surely raise their rates.

Wonder why the insurance companies won't write fulltimers' insurance in Texas.  Could there be some laws in TX that favor fulltimers? 

What are the alternatives to GMAC? 

I wonder if anybody is paying the ridiculously high rates that I'm paying.  I have CW's GMAC coverage for the RV and tow car.  Does anybody have AARP?  Is it good coverage for fulltimers?  I understand it's significantly cheaper, but I've always held the belief that you get what you pay for.

--pat

There are some stringent requirements for an insurance company to write full timers coverage in TX and most companies don't qualify.  In fact, there are only a few companies that write real full timers insurance at all.  AARP doesn't represent any of them to my knowledge.  The best known agencies for shopping full timer coverage are RVAA and Explorer RV Insurance.  There were more in the past but some have been absorbed into other companies, like RVAA.

Ron said:
I thought you were still with GMCA. I do know that we had to change insurance carriers last year too. Still if insurance companies keep pulling out the ones left will surely raise their rates.

We are still with GMAC.? We tried another insurer for a while but didn't like them.? We came back to GMAC despite the fact that we can't get full timer's insurance from them.? Couldn't get it from the other company either? :mad:.? So, we have NO  full timer's insurance.? Don't trip and fall when you come to see me? ;D ;D ;D.

I thought you had GMAC insurance butwasn't aware you didn't have fulltimers insurance.  Guess that is why I got to thinking GMAC had been writting fulltime insurance in Tx.  We will try not to fall. ;D ;D

Ron said:
I thought you had GMAC insurance butwasn't aware you didn't have fulltimers insurance. Guess that is why I got to thinking GMAC had been writting fulltime insurance in Tx. We will try not to fall. ;D ;D

Both I and my bank account would appreciate that greatly  ;D ;D

I need to stop in at CW and talk about my coverage before I leave town.  I'm listed as an IL resident, and, I assume, a fulltimer.  Any idea what are the exclusions for fulltimers?  Anybody know if this is limited to TX?

--pat

When I went full-timing, I contacted my home/auto insurance agent (State Farm) for suggestions. His response was "Why don't you let me give you a quote?" I had no idea they would write such a policy, but he explained that they will for longtime policyholders such as myself. Net result is I have it thru them for less than what other insurers  would charge. Contact your regular agent and see what he/she can do for you. You may be pleasantly surprised.

kk:

I had State Farm in Chicago before I retired and started fulltiming.  They covered both vehicles.  When I changed to fulltiming, I forget the circumstances, but they did not express enthusiasm about retaining the coverage.  I changed to the insurer Camping World had at the time, and then when they sold out to GMAC, the premiums literally doubled.  After a year, I believe, the premiums reduced somewhat, but not beck to the previous insurer.  I've seen an insurer charge high premiums on a new driver for half a year or so to establish some kind of rating.  For example, I didn't own a car in Chicago for 27 years.  So I paid a lot for the first 6 months after I bought a car again.  What annoyed me was that GMAC pulled the same overcharge ripoff those first 6 months for established insureds of the policies they acquired.  The price went down for a year or so, but it's going back up fast.

What I hear a lot is that many insurers will insure the RV and toad, but they don't know how to provide fulltimers' coverage.  They just provide over the road auto insurance.  My question is always: what aren't they providing?  For example, what's missing from the AARP coverage?

--pat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom