'97 Skyline Nomad 2750 Deluxe and Need Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

va_jay55

Howdy all,

We found a trailer locally and need to find more info on it. Mainly it's base weight. It's a 1997 Skyline Nomad Model 2750 Deluxe 28 ft. NADA states it may be 5400lbs. The barely readable tag stated 7700lbs GVWR. We'll never hit that. I also would like to find out about tongue weight, fresh water and waste tank sizes. It's got Goodyear Marathons all around. Very clean at 1st walk through. Hardly a smidge of rust outside. The owners are the campgroud where it sits. They tell me a couple owned it, divorced and sold it to the campground, who rented it out 3 times during the past 2 seasons. Doesn't seem to have any miles on it. It has a 13" color TV, microwave and regular oven, stereo, Dometic 2dr fridge, looks like a 20ft awning. If we can find out a few more details and confirm it's base weight, it is definately a thought for purchase. The wife liked it. They are asking $6000 for it. We have a Ford E350 SD regular 12 passenger van with tow package, 5.4L, 3.73 rear end. GCVR is 13,000lbs and it can tow 6900lbs. Now if the weight is right, it will be within 80% of tow weight. We travel light so I think we might be ok. 

I sent an email to Skyline about the spec sheet and maybe a manual. Googled it with no direct hits. So if anyone may have or can direct me to the specs on this model, we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance and have a happy July 4th.

Jay, Gay and the Kid Cyd
Barboursville, Va.

Assuming that your tow rating of 6900-lbs correct for your truck, and allowing our usual safety factor of 10%, 6200 lbs is all you would want to tow.  If you plan to go out West, into the land of long 6-8% grades and 8,000 foot passes, make that 10% 20% and you have a maximum tow load of 5520 lbs.  Nobody packs as light as 120 lbs.  Figure on 1000 lbs as more like it.  Thus your van is marginal for that trailer in the east, and outclassed in the west.

Start looking for trailers in the 24 foot range. 

Thanks for the reply Carl. We'll not be travelling far from our neck of the woods anytime soon, so the western mounts won't be an issue. Most we'll do for mountains are our Blue Ridge. You're right about packing light, but we have 2 of the bench seats coming out which saves about 350lbs. We won't be carrying a lot of stuff we really don't need. The 20% margin will have to be the goal. Safety first. It does seem marginal at best and this may be the deal breaker. Before finding this trailer, our plan was for a Rockwood Roo 233 hybrid weighing in at 4000lbs. This lightweight will be much easier to tow and keeping a handle on added gear will not be as critical. We are just so excited about joining all you folks in RVing that we had to consider this Nomad. If we have to wait until this fall or later, oh well. It's just really hard to wait. ;)

We bought our motorhome from Koogler RV Sales.? They carry motorhomes and trailers including used models.? They are in Rancine, VA which is about 1-1/2 hour drive for us but we like dealing with them and we have depended on one of their mechanics, Jerry, for several years - both with an Airstream travel trailer and now our Newmar Mountainaire.

If the RV you are looking at doesn't work out, you might want to invest a day and drive up there or call to see what inventory they have for you to view.? This is a family owned business.? Tom Koogler has owned the business for over 30 years and his son, Charlie, now runs most of the operation.

D2

D2 said:
We live outside of Charlottesville, VA so we are practically neighbors.?

D2

We're just north by about 15 miles. Once we get our rig together, we'll have to hook up and get some advice on your fave campgrounds.
We'll try the Kooglers. If they have something we can pull, we'll consider it. I'll Google and see if they have a web site.

After more thought on the Nomad, I believe we'll be pushing our TV's limits trying to tow this one around. At 1500lbs less, I think our initial choice is the way to go. Thanks to anyone who read this post and considered an answer.

va_jay55 said:
Thanks for the reply Carl. We'll not be travelling far from our neck of the woods anytime soon, so the western mounts won't be an issue. Most we'll do for mountains are our Blue Ridge. You're right about packing light, but we have 2 of the bench seats coming out which saves about 350lbs. We won't be carrying a lot of stuff we really don't need. The 20% margin will have to be the goal. Safety first. It does seem marginal at best and this may be the deal breaker. Before finding this trailer, our plan was for a Rockwood Roo 233 hybrid weighing in at 4000lbs. This lightweight will be much easier to tow and keeping a handle on added gear will not be as critical. We are just so excited about joining all you folks in RVing that we had to consider this Nomad. If we have to wait until this fall or later, oh well. It's just really hard to wait. ;)

Yeah, safety is first.  Remember tow rating dependent on engine, transmission and drivetrain capacity, suspension capacity, and brakes.  Every hill you go up has a downgrade waiting for you and that trailer is going to be pushing behind you all the way down.  The Blue Ridge has some fairly good grades and not many interstate standard roads.

There are a lot of nice 24 footers on down in this world.  Queen master bed and 2 bunk beds are a common floor plan even in hard side TTs.  Remember you are not buying a house on wheels, you are buying a vacation cabin on wheels.  You will be doing a lot of your living out of doors.  Or at least should be.

By the way, have you all ever been to Hungry Mother State Park up near Roanoke?  I remember that from when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom