shore power plugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There might be many reasons, one could be that the original installer wanted to be able to "share" a plug with another rig. That is, he plugs into the power pole and another unit plugs into his rig. Or, the gen-set on the bus is large enough to power another rig (charge batteries etc) and the owner wanted to have an easy way to allow another rig to plug in.

One would really have to see how it was wired to guess exactly what it might be for.

Ken

Do you have a generator, and does it automatically provide AC power to the bus?  If it doesn't, the previous owner may have eliminated a trouble prone automatic transfer switch and placed a 30 amp socket on the generator.

To get generator power into the bus you'd plug the shore power cord into the generator socket.

I suspect that Lou has the right answer. If it has 30A shore power, that would be the male plug, probably on the end of a long power cord. Is the female outlet mounted on the coach itself, without a extension cord? That would be typical of a generator power outlet.

What brand/type of "bus" are we talking about?

Yes the female plug is mounted to a fixed box(have not traced wires yet)and i do have an onan generater,the bus (1971 GMC 5305)may have had a AC unit where a skylite is now since it has a thermostat labeled for one.Thank you for your answer,it must be for the gen. power.I'll be able to tell once I clean up all the illegal 120v. wiring work done by others!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrWil
Back
Top Bottom