Need recommendation on Security Camera, PLEASE advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winnie32v

I'm looking for a security camera that I can set up in my garage facing the back entrance of my house.  I want to view this when I am in the south during the winter.
I have internet and will be taking my laptop with me.
I have looked over some on Amazon, but I know the best advice is from RVr's who have already done this.
So, I would like to keep the cost down...one cam is all I need ...please let me know what works best and will not give me a lot of trouble.
Thanks for your time & advice.

This should be interesting as I need one for my newly installed solar array and also for the reason you mentioned.

This is not as easy as you are probably picturing it.  Yes, you can get a simple Internet camera and view it from a remote location, but unless you plan on staring at it 24/7, you need a way to record the video output for viewing later.  That requires running software on your computer 24/7 to capture and store the video.  Then to reduce required storage space, you'll need software with a motion detector feature.  Another matter would be the Internet service (at both ends).  If you plan on using Verizon or similar data service, you will pretty quickly use up your data limit.  If you will be using a campground WiFi, they may not like you streaming that much either.  So, to get around this problem, you'll have to run the computer with the software and storage at your stick house and only send video you request now and then.  It does get complicated.  Then, if you notice a break-in from 1000 miles away, what would you do?

Personally, if security is a concern, ADT or some other service might be more effective.

Winnie...

Take a look at Swann Security. I have one of their 4-camera security systems that records to its own dedicated DVR. I can access the cameras live or remotely, and play them back individually from any internet-connected computer, my iphone or ipad (they have Droid apps too).

Yes, bandwidth affects playback speed, but all the cameras record directly to the one-terrabyte hard drive too, so you can watch them in person later. You can also program the cameras to record only when motion is detected, and the system can also send you an email. It's a pretty powerful and expandable system.

Kev

I have a 4 camera system I bought at Costco for $400 that has its own DVR, can be accessed by app from my phone or by computer to check the recordings for the past two weeks.

I would not consider the installation overly challenging but I enjoy tech toys. :D

I've been looking at a "D-Link" system.
Anyone have any experience with this system?
Thanks for the response.
I need to make a decision soon, so any replies will be appreciated.
Regards,
Paul

Looks like I'm settling in on a Panasonic BL-C121 wireless camera.
Anyone have any experience with this one.
Thanks.
Regards,
Paul

Don't know much about these systems but just noticed this ad from Costco online. Sounds like a good deal from what I can tell, 8 camera system with 5GB hard drive delivered for $399.
http://www.costco.com/online-offers.html?&cm_mmc=BCEmail_778-_-Sidekick-_-1-_-MarketingItemName

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it's still not clear to me just how such a system as this provides any improved security other then possibly providing some hint as to who might have invaded the space being surveyed - unless it is connected to some method of notifying authorities in real-time.  The best way for such a system to deter intruders is to be highly evident, even advertised (smile you're on candid camera).

Molaker said:
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it's still not clear to me just how such a system as this provides any improved security other then possibly providing some hint as to who might have invaded the space being surveyed - unless it is connected to some method of notifying authorities in real-time.  The best way for such a system to deter intruders is to be highly evident, even advertised (smile you're on candid camera).

Excellent point and I agree.
The basic camera set-up is more of a "peace of mind" endeavor so we can look at the designated spot 'at will' when we are away.
Certainly not a deterrent.
In addition, we have installed motion activated sensors with phone call alert in strategic areas.  We will receive a call BEFORE any alarm goes off.
A smart intruder will be gone pretty fast when the alarm goes off and I would have already alerted the police to follow up.

This is the extent that I will go to implement some protection and monitoring of the site while I am gone.
In addition, we have very observant neighbors and family who make periodic checks on the premises.

So, we expect that we have done a pretty good job of ensuring  that our home will be 'as we left it' when we return.

We know that NO SYSTEM will do it all................
As I said, just 'peace of mind'.............besides, it's kind of interesting playing with some of these new gadgets....imagine....looking at my house when I'm so far away..................
Thanks for the comment.  I'd rather do a 'little bit' than nothing at all.

Regards,
Paul

UPDATE
Here is where I ended up:
I ended up buying a Panasonic Network Camera, Model  BL-C121A.

I'm not real good (I am now) at setting these things up, so I had to spend about 20 hrs on the phone with the Panasonic Tech Reps to get it completely set up.

Some technical stuff:  I had to upgrade my Router so it would support BOTH the TCP and UDP Protocols.
Windstream took care of me there by agreeing to give me one free because of my many years of being a valued customer.

So, after going through the set up menu and entering all of the correct data AND getting into the router setup and opening access port , I was able to use the camera as a wireless device.

Next, I learned how to access the camera from an internet service EXTERNAL from my home network.
This required entering a different address..but it worked fine.
So, now I have a camera that can be accessed from ANY internet network, anywhere and I can view the image that I have selected.
I can also set it up so that "Guest" access is possible for those family members that I want to also "keep an eye" on the house while we're gone.  This allows viewing but no Administrative capabilities.

I MUST tell you how EXCELLENT the Panasonic Tech guys are....they spent hours of time with me helping to set up this camera....THANK YOU.
This kind of customer service needs to be recognized. 

So, I feel that I have learned so much in setting these cameras up.  I may even get another one and set it up in a different location.  This setup will go a lot smoother than the first.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Regards,
Paul

I have another question along the same lines...

Of those who have home camera security systems, what made you decide whether a wireless system or CCTV?  What was the deciding factor for your purchase?

I have been checking around and doing a little research myself for a 4 camera system.  I seem to be leaning toward a CCTV system due to the placement of a 120vac outlet for each of the wireless cameras power adaptors to plug into.  Royal PITA.  It still would be no fun to run all the coax for a CCTV system, but I have heard the picture quality is better and no (or very little) RF interference to booger up the picture signal. 

Any thoughts or advice?

Denmark...

I have two Foscam FW8910 (Standard Definition) security cameras inside my home, and several Swann CCD cameras watching the perimeter of my home (I live in a rural area).

The Foscam cameras are not weather-proof.They are for inside-use only. They can operate via WiFi or via Cat-5 cables connected directly to a router. I have them set up to run via WiFi. I can view them on any internet-connected computer from anywhere in the world. (broadband is definitely preferable), I can also view them in real-time with my iPhone or iPad, and I can remotely pan and tilt them to look around the house. I can record what they see and hear directly to my iPhone or iPad by simply hitting a button on the screen. At night, I can remotely activate infrared diodes and see in total darkness at a distance ofabout 25 feet.

In addition to my router's security, I have to enter a 4 digit code to view the cameras remotely - so they're pretty secure. The cameras are mounted about 60 feet from the router and the video quality is great - flawless - no signs of interference at all. They can be set up to send me an email if they detect motion but I don't use that feature because of two dogs in the house.

The Swann cameras are Sony cameras in weather-proof housings, and are for indoor or outdoor use (Sorry, I don't remember the exact model number). They also have infrared night-viewing capabilities but do not have audio capabilities. They are fixed-mounted to watch the entire perimeter of the house (and then some) and they record to a DVR 24/7. I can access that DVR with another computer or with my iPhone or iPad and play back any video from any camera, anytime. If one of those cameras detect motion in a pre-programmed area of their field of view, I get an email alert. Then I simply log on and look around (and listen) via the cameras. If there's any sign of a problem I call the Sheriff and a well-armed big, ugly, mean (but friendly-to-me) neighbor.

I can't tell the difference in video quality between the Foscam wireless cameras and the Sony CCD cameras.

Hope that helps.

Kev

I have 3 Tenvis Outdoor cameras monitoring my property along with a 4 camera system. The Tenvis are IP cameras and do have the E-Mail feature . Trouble being they detect Palm tree shadows moving and send E-Mails. Having just set the system up, I am still playing with the setup.

If you have decided that installing a home security system is the right choice for you, it is time to begin to recognize what your security system options are and what kind is right for you. To start with, there are two major types of security systems. One kind is for residences and the other kind is for businesses. This choice will be simple for you to make if you are looking to protect your home. These two types do share some common technology; however, business security systems will likely need more cameras and observation equipment than a residence will. This is because you will possibly not need equipment to monitor burglary.
Thanks and Regards,
Jordan Caver
Security Systems Vancouver
Home Security Systems Vancouver

Too late for the OP.
However my son installed a doorbell style security camera. It is motion activated, records the motion, and sends a message to his phone every time the camera has been activated. He can view the video from his phone. I don't know all the specifics, but that is what I do know about it. He bought it to see when packages arrive at the house.

I'm not positive, but I believe he also could talk to the person at the door via his cell phone. The impression the person at the door would have is an intercom system. Makes it appear like your home watching them and talking to them.

Back
Top Bottom