Washington State Domicile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing to be aware of when considering residency - SD and TX (Polk County TX at least, don't know about FL) will excuse you from jury duty.
Many states will not and there have been some posts about states threatening to issue warrants for no shows.
That could be inconvenient in the middle of winter and expensive if you are far away.

Pierce County in WA state will ask you when you are returning. They will then issue the summons to jury duty when you said you were returning. I don't know how they would handle it if you said you were going to be gone indefinitely. My summons was during the winter and I returned in the spring to jury duty.

Ken

Clay L said:
One thing to be aware of when considering residency - SD and TX (Polk County TX at least, don't know about FL) will excuse you from jury duty.

Yeah, I was wondering about that: what to do if called to jury duty and it would cost $1000 in gas just to get there?

I recently served jury duty at the King Co. Court.  They thanked us for being there, stating that we were not required to serve, and we don't chase down or prosecute the no shows.

Not the kind of message I got from the Clerk of the  Snohomish Court when I forgot a date. ::)

As a footnote to the above: It was easy for us to become residents of Washington State this month.

We were SD residents. We rented a house in Vancouver, WA, for a short term. The WA Dept. of Licensing was very helpful and friendly. We filled out the online pre-application, then went to the office the next day. We had our licenses in less than 15 minutes, no exam, just a vision test. We took some mail that we thought would be needed to prove our WA address, but were told that, as long as we had a social security number, we didn't need it, they knew we were living in WA. (Don't know what that means, maybe it was because the leasing office had signed us up for city utilities.)

License plates: Only had to take in the SD title. Walked out with WA plates and tags in less than 15 minutes. Cost for a 2009 Honda CR-V was about $120 to start. I was told it would be about $48 to renew next year. (They had said we did have to get our WA driver license before getting WA plates.)

If you have the same experience we have  when it is time to renew your DL they will mail it to your current residence in WA. Since we had sold our home and were not renting anything in the state except our mailbox service they would not send a renewal.

Hello all,
New to this forum and appreciate all info on it regarding full timing. My question is this: We own a residential rental property in Spokane, WA. Can we become residents in Vancouver, WA because of owning a property in the state already?
Thank you

welshb2 said:
Hello all,
New to this forum and appreciate all info on it regarding full timing. My question is this: We own a residential rental property in Spokane, WA. Can we become residents in Vancouver, WA because of owning a property in the state already?
Thank you

Do you rent in Vancouver? If so you will qualify for residency as far as the WA Department of Licensing is concerned. If not you should be able to use the rental address as long as you can have renewals mailed there.

Hi  I am moving back to WA and running into the 210 day rule.  But I don't think I should have any trouble getting a driver's license and tag as I am still employed and will be working in WA.  I will use my rv park address with lot number as my permanent address.  Does anyone see a problem with this?

The reason so many are starting to run into problems is the Federal Law
The REAL ID Act of 2005.

All States will have to show compliance.
Here in Ga. No POB are allowed either, plus ypu have to provide a tax statement and utility bill or something else showing the physical address. They cited The Read ID Act of 2005 as the reason when we renewed our Licenses. Extensions have been given to the states for compliance because all the computers have be able to work with the Fed system.

A search will being up the details.
This is a decent overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

I will use my rv park address with lot number as my permanent address.  Does anyone see a problem with this?

You will have to ask that question of the Washington DMV. Because of the Real ID Act, they will have policies that define what is an acceptable "permanent address" for a driver license. They may have a policy that rejects addresses that are typically viewed as "temporary", e.g. motels, PMBs and RV parks. Some states have alternate procedures to assist itinerant workers, e.g. farm workers or the building trades, but others may not.

Well, this thread was a good read. So, I joined to say a few things.

In my situation, I would just use a family members or friends address and if someone wanted to verify that address. I would just ask the friend or family member to switch the power bill or comcast bill into my name for 30 days and then they can switch it back to their name. It only takes 10 minutes on the phone to switch a utility bill into your name and then back again next month.

No-one will dig any deeper than that.

I actually didn't see an RCW within this thread where it states it was a felony under severity for using a family member or friends address for the DMV.

I'm a current CDL holder and thousands of us do what I just described. This also works for auto loans of any type.

*KEY NOTE* -- Don't think about the stupid law... Just do it... Ask for forgiveness later if and when you get caught... Which most likely will be never... I noticed the older generation cares way too much about rules and law and they try to be perfect citizens. No-one is perfect we all drive 65 mph in a 55 mph zone and some of us do 45 mph in a 25 mph zone. Who cares. Just do it... It really is that simple. Making a big deal out of nothing.

Good Luck with your RV Adventures!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom