Bought a new trailer from Canada, options for titling / registering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WookinPaNub

Hello all,
    I recently took delivery of a brand new Kamparoo camper trailer built in Canada and delivered to me in the United States. I would like some guidance / options / recommendations on getting the titling / registration plating done from those in the know. The trailer details are:
- New trailer
- GVWR: Approx 1500 lbs
- Length: < 20 ft
- Documentation I have: Certificate of Origin, Customs Invoice, Declaration from USDOT for Importation, Original Invoice from Kamparoo

I have a couple of options:
1) I spend most of my time at an address in Maryland, and this is where the trailer was delivered. However MD seems to be an expensive place to do the registration process
2) I have another valid address in NC (I travel for work) that I could use, but again the trailer is in MD and getting it to NC would be a bit of a bear if I have to do in person inspections....
3) From reading, some folks have talked about registering trailers in Maine and then they can legally be used in MD? And it does not sound like you have to take it to ME to have this done, can be via email / mail. But it also seems they charge a 5% sales tax on trailers like these...

What is going to be the easiest and cheapest legal way to get this on the road? This would be including the fees / sales tax, inspections and documentation required, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Registering your trailer in the state where you live and will be storing it, will be the simplest.  Folks do wrestle around with registering big money motorhomes -- registration fees and taxes on $300K+ heavy motor vehicles make the effort worthwhile.

However, light trailers, not being motor vehicles, rarely justify such finagling.  Price the simplest, MD, and see if a few percent in savings justify exploring more complicated arrangements.

Having one plate on the tow vehicle and a different one on the trailer may also invite questions even if you feel they are legal. Should push come to shove, I believe the only "legal" registration is in your state of domicile and you have only ONE of those.

Back
Top Bottom