MCD Shades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

Have read several testimonials concerning the installation of American Duo Shades at the facility in McKinney, Texas. Has anyone done the installation at home? I would be interested in the experience, especially the windshield shade in a 2000 - 2005 Journey or Meridian. I am seriously considering the task as a DIY project. Would appreciate any input you might have.

I am looking at putting one in the windshield of my Destination. Looks like there is a spot to put one. Saw them on a 2011 Journey 34Y and loved them. Know that they are not cheap.

Once you go MCD shades, you'll never look back! (Except for what a royal pain in the tush the factory blinds/curtains were  ;) )

Here's my documentation of the factory install.  After watching the guys measure/fit/install the windshield shades, that is a DIY job I would not tackle.  It is a long shade and chances are good you will need to have valences made/upholstered, the A pillar trimmed down and the motors need to wire into 12V and the ignition switch.  Please, have a dealer or the factory do those.

I had to remove the windshield shades this spring due to a bad motor in the day shade and that was a real pain to get that long shade down and up.  Changing the motor was really simple fortunately.

I consider the other shades a very viable DIY project.

I installed them in my 09 Journey in 2011. It is extemely simple - the most important part is, measuring the width required. You will need to check that the depth of your valences are above the requirement on the MCD web site - they were on mine.  To install them, you will need to remove the old shades and if you want to do it easily, the valence as well. There are "L" brackets on each side of the valence and two or three screws through the top of the valence (or thru the existing shades) - to support it. I used a power screwdriver with a 6" phillips bit to remove them. It makes the installation simple when you can do it without working over your head. Once you have removed the valences, you screw at least two clips to the top underside of the valence. Then you can remount the valence. The shade can then be pushed up and the lip positioned under the front of the clip and the back of the shade frame clipped under the front (window side) of the clip. Took me one hour plus for the first shade and less than a half hour for the rest including removing the old shade. If you don't own a power driver, it is worth getting one as it will be you best friend. Wife also assisted holding one end of the valences and shades until secured. They come adjusted for the proper length but you can easily tweek that once in place. I did all windows except the front windshield. I would suggest you have that done as it should be powered and there is some cutting of the plastic channels at the side pillars to insure it covers the window. I  could never have measured that one correctly. A year later, both wife and I agreed that it was money well spent and we have really enjoyed having them and wouldn't want a coach without them.

Thank you, John for the very detailed writeup concerning the shades. The photos of the side pillar plastic cutout was especially beneficial. The reason I am considering DIY is that MCD is 1100 miles from Phoenix, and although 3T's is an authorized installer, they require a visit (400-mile round-trip) for measurement and then after a 3-week wait, another 400-mile trip for installation.

I spoke with Joy Allen at MCD about installing the Cockpit Shades in my 2004 Itasca Meridian motorhome and she was kind enough to send me the "MCD Windshield Shade Installation by a Customer" instruction letter. After reading the letter, I feel that I am handy enough to accomplish the task, but noted on their website that RV Master Tech here in the valley are authorized installers, so am awaiting an answer from them.

John, I guess we have been extremely lucky concerning the day/nite shades - have had the Meridian since Oct '03 (9 years?!) and have never had a broken string with the shades. The pleated curtain, however has bothered me since day one! Can't wait to get rid of it. Wife finally succumbed to my pleas, so am going for the MCD shades.

I replaced all our pleated day/night window shades with MCD solo shades.  As previously noted, the most difficult part was getting the old shades out.  Installing the MCD shades was not hard at all.

I do want to use pull down shades (will likely use MCD) to replace the existing pleated windshield curtains.  Since my '02 had the metal box and plastic tub at the TV enclosure, I plan to use three shades at the windshield.  Two larger shades on either side and one narrower shade in the middle that will cover the gap between the two larger shades.  I spoke to MCD and they said that is what they would likely do if I was not wanting to cut/remove the TV 'bucket.'  Coaches with a flatter, single glass and no big TV box can be done with one large shade. 

So, 2DaLake, do you plan to install DIY?  I also have the CRT TV with plastic tub, but plan to replace the TV with LCD and eliminate the tub in order to install the one-piece shade. 

RedT said:
So, 2DaLake, do you plan to install DIY?  I also have the CRT TV with plastic tub, but plan to replace the TV with LCD and eliminate the tub in order to install the one-piece shade.

Yes, I plan to do the MCD's at the windshield myself whenever I get around to ordering them.  I just installed a new 32" LCD TV and mounted it just outside of the existing TV opening.  I pondered taking a sawsall to the metal box and cutting all that away but finally decided to let it be.  The 32" TV looks just fine mounted in front of the existing opening.  DW likes it so it passes that test.  ;)

RedT said:
John, I guess we have been extremely lucky concerning the day/nite shades - have had the Meridian since Oct '03 (9 years?!) and have never had a broken string with the shades. The pleated curtain, however has bothered me since day one! Can't wait to get rid of it. Wife finally succumbed to my pleas, so am going for the MCD shades.

I think our first broken string happened within six months of taking delivery  ::).  We ultimately had (I think) four broken ones.  Like you, I never liked the curtains in the front.  Now we can dial in glare reduction with the day shade, or almost total blackout with the night shades.  We even use the cockpit day shades when we stop for lunch - there is an instant reduction in heat transfer and previously mentioned glare.

I still love to push the button on the remote to make all of the night shades in the salon and cockpit area go up or down (except for the windshield shade - that one is only switch operated for safety reasons.)

We replaced all of ours, including windshield.  MCD guys measured everything at a rally, then we met the completed shades at an installer in Oregon where we were parked and plugged in to power. While waiting for the installer to get started, I did all the side windows by removing the valance boxes. That made it easy to get the MCD clips where they needed to be. Then set the "up stop", put the boxes back up and pop the shades into place. Meanwhile, the installer got to work and put the windshield shades in place, then quit for the day. Since I had plenty of time on my hands, that evening I wired the windshield shades to the oem power sunshade wirings/switches. The next day all the installer had to do was set the up and down stops.

John,

To expand on the initial question a bit, I was wondering how difficult it was for the MCD folks to route the electrical wires when they installed the shades in your coach. I watched your videos and didn't see any wires dangling anywhere, so it looks like they did a good job of hiding them. Was this difficult for them? One of the coaches we're looking at has the manual (pull-down) MCD shades, but I have to admit, I really like the electric versions.

Kev

Just to expand on the MCD install a bit.  I had MCD install a front motorized duo shade this past spring.  Although I felt it was worth the money, I had to replace the HDMI and coax cable as they were both pinched during the install.  I had moved the front TV on my 2001 Horizon and needed to route those cables down the drivers side pillar.  I left the coach up at McKinney for the install and I drove back to Houston.  It might of worked of different if I had been able to stay up at McKinney.

John

Kevin Means said:
...I was wondering how difficult it was for the MCD folks to route the electrical wires when they installed the shades in your coach. I watched your videos and didn't see any wires dangling anywhere, so it looks like they did a good job of hiding them. Was this difficult for them? One of the coaches we're looking at has the manual (pull-down) MCD shades, but I have to admit, I really like the electric versions...

Kev - the windshield already had two OEM motorized sun shades so wiring was reasonably simple - MCD just reused that wiring.  Wiring of the salon motorized shades wasn't a big deal either due to the preponderance of 12V lights and on the driver's side a motorized recliner couch.

Motorized shades are WAY COOL!  Push a button and make things happen - every man's dream  ;D.

Good write up John.

In the 34Y we looked at, I don't remember them "tracking" in the A-Pillar, looked like they hung straight down on the backside (cabin) side of he A-Pillar - guess I'll have to look again. Since I don't have electric shades on mine (windshield or other wise) I'll have to have the proper switches and the like added - should not be a problem to source that. Going to be in the Metroplex in a couple months - guess I could stop, get measured and get an estimate -

Michael

Kevin Means said:
Thanks John.

You're welcome Kev!

mickey53usa said:
Good write up John.

In the 34Y we looked at, I don't remember them "tracking" in the A-Pillar, looked like they hung straight down on the backside (cabin) side of he A-Pillar - guess I'll have to look again.

Thanks Michael!

We got real lucky on our windshield shade install in that it only took some trimming of the A pillar trim and some fascia boards to make it all literally look factory OEM.

The wiring and new switches shouldn't be a big deal.

John (and others),
I also love my MCD shades. OEM on my Itasca Ellipse. However, has anyone had any problems with the non motorized retract mechanism? I have had two shades within 2 years of new fail internally. One on the drivers side window had to take it down in order to drive since they seem to fail down. MCD has been great with getting them fixed. Either returned them or get sent parts. I have opted for replacing the parts myself (quicker) and can easily be done especially if you get some over the phone help from MCD. Not hard, just easier if you know how. I'm going to buy some replacement parts and have at least one set in my repair box form now on.
Phil Bailey.

Phil - yeah, I've had two spring mechanisms fail and a one motor went belly up since the install in 2009.  This is out of 16 shades (two per window.)  Only the dash area and salon night shades have motors.  They are trying to bring all manufacturing in-house for more consistent quality control.  Dave has a great product which is always being improved but I suspect manufacturing variances are contributing quite a bit to the failure rate.

In any case, I would never give up my MCD shades for paper pleated blinds!

Good discussion, all positive on the MCD shades.  So, does anyone have an estimate for the labor cost/ savings for all shades on a 40' class A?  Is it as much as the material cost for the shades alone?  It seems like a DIY project if I measure correctly...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom